Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,020 times

Advertisements

I DON'T make colloidal silver.

There are NO reported and/or documented risks from the substance *I'm* referring to.

Thanks for the compliment about mine being the best (grin), I know its pretty good quality, as my laboratory analysis shows, but I seriously doubt it's the 'best'.

It matters not to me if some have no interest in this 'stuff', but unfortunately the information they use to discredit it is plain wrong and misleading, and what is not plain wrong and misleading is inuendo and supposition, and/or is antiquated and totally irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

I don't recall making a statement about it being superior to anything? Improperly produced maybe, and incorrectly termed definitely, but 'superior'? I don't recall suggesting that.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I DON'T make colloidal silver.

There are NO reported and/or documented risks from the substance *I'm* referring to.

Thanks for the compliment about mine being the best (grin), I know its pretty good quality, as my laboratory analysis shows, but I seriously doubt it's the 'best'.

It matters not to me if some have no interest in this 'stuff', but unfortunately the information they use to discredit it is plain wrong and misleading, and what is not plain wrong and misleading is inuendo and supposition, and/or is antiquated and totally irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

I don't recall making a statement about it being superior to anything? Improperly produced maybe, and incorrectly termed definitely, but 'superior'? I don't recall suggesting that.
There is also absolutely NO documented BENEFIT from drinking the stuff...

There is absolutely NO reason for anyone to ingest silver....period

Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 PM
ino

Those who have no personal experience with EIS/CS, and/or have limited knowledge of the chemistry and principals involved in the process and efficacy thereof, are welcome to contribute their personal comments, but at the end of the day their contribution is only as...commentators.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Those who have no personal experience with EIS/CS, and/or have limited knowledge of the chemistry and principals involved in the process and efficacy thereof, are welcome to contribute their personal comments, but at the end of the day their contribution is only as...commentators.
And those that THINK they have knowledge of chemistry with little or no knowledge of biochemistry, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiology and have NO experience in patient care are similarly welcome to contribute to this discussion....but at the end of the day they have contributed nothing but worthless anecdotes that have no real world practical application...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Ingesting silver (any way you can --- silver nitrate, ions, particles, colloids, ingot shavings, swallowing silver coins): benefit = zero.

Risks: Colloidal Silver Products [NCCAM Backgrounder]
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924932

Benefit to risk ratio: zero.

Enormous waste of money!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
ino

Can't comment on any of that as they reference "silver nucleate {a protein in this case}, silver protein, silvol {more proteins}, mild protargin {another protein}, silver metal and colloidal"...none of these seem to be applicable as most are 'proteins', and anyone who knows anything about EIS/CS knows, or should know, about proteins. The 'silver metal' could be anything from a filing to an ingot, and the 'colloidal' fails to explain how that 'colloid' was produced, again, it could be silver 'filings' for all the reader knows...which was produced by the 'grind' method pre the electrolysis era...BIG difference. Inuendo and guilt by association only.

I repeat, it's NOT colloidal! That's pure marketing BS. 99.9% of products marketed as 'colloidal' are in fact NOT colloidal, they're predominantly Ionic. That's part of the misconception and hype pushed by the opportunists.

The nay sayers can produce any published article they desire, and discount it's efficacy until the cows come home, but none of it refers to the substance in question, and I believe most bash it out of ignorance and lack of understanding, or are just one eyed and won't accept anything outside of mainstream.

For those who have an open mind {as I do} and have a mind to seek out *both* arguments for and against {as I have} will find an abundance of published literature available in the public domain by suitably credentialed academics {but they have to look past the media hype as I've had to do}. And if more people were willing to peruse said literature they MAY get a better understanding.

And one doesn't need a chemistry or biology degree, or see a stamp of approval by some 'authority?' to understand, experience and/or appreciate efficacy.

If people believe your FDA, or our TGA, or that WHO organization have OUR best interest at heart {in the broader context}...then they're not suitably well read and are in for a rude awakening.

It's the blatant and willful refusal to consider possibilities and keep an open mind for the benefit of humanity as a whole which restricts and/or stifles learning {opinion}. The same applies to any herbal or alternative modality, and including conventional medicine I guess.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Can't comment on any of that as they reference "silver nucleate {a protein in this case}, silver protein, silvol {more proteins}, mild protargin {another protein}, silver metal and colloidal"...none of these seem to be applicable as most are 'proteins', and anyone who knows anything about EIS/CS knows, or should know, about proteins. The 'silver metal' could be anything from a filing to an ingot, and the 'colloidal' fails to explain how that 'colloid' was produced, again, it could be silver 'filings' for all the reader knows...which was produced by the 'grind' method pre the electrolysis era...BIG difference. Inuendo and guilt by association only.

I repeat, it's NOT colloidal! That's pure marketing BS. 99.9% of products marketed as 'colloidal' are in fact NOT colloidal, they're predominantly Ionic. That's part of the misconception and hype pushed by the opportunists.

The nay sayers can produce any published article they desire, and discount it's efficacy until the cows come home, but none of it refers to the substance in question, and I believe most bash it out of ignorance and lack of understanding, or are just one eyed and won't accept anything outside of mainstream.

For those who have an open mind {as I do} and have a mind to seek out *both* arguments for and against {as I have} will find an abundance of published literature available in the public domain by suitably credentialed academics {but they have to look past the media hype as I've had to do}. And if more people were willing to peruse said literature they MAY get a better understanding.

And one doesn't need a chemistry or biology degree, or see a stamp of approval by some 'authority?' to understand, experience and/or appreciate efficacy.

If people believe your FDA, or our TGA, or that WHO organization have OUR best interest at heart {in the broader context}...then they're not suitably well read and are in for a rude awakening.

It's the blatant and willful refusal to consider possibilities and keep an open mind for the benefit of humanity as a whole which restricts and/or stifles learning {opinion}. The same applies to any herbal or alternative modality, and including conventional medicine I guess.
If there is truly "an abundance of published literature available in the public domain by suitably credentialed academics"

It shouldn't be hard to produce just ONE of these articles...should it?

There has never been a published study showing colloidal silver to be anything other than snake oil...

Its the blatant and willful refusal to acknowledge that ingesting silver provides ZERO benefit to humans, that it is inherently toxic and harmful and there is NO scientific basis to explain the outrageous claims made by its proponents that stifles true knowledge...

Its not keeping an "open" mind to ignore overwhelming evidence that colloidal silver is useless and dangerous.

Its called foolishness.....

Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM
ino

Will this suffice? Read it carefully, in particular look for my emphasis in bold, and this communication is nowhere near as ancient as that Jacobs case that appears to be everyones favourite whipping boy/girl.

October 14th, 1999
Food and Drug Administration
U.S. Department Of Health and
Human Services
Public Health Service
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
Dear Sirs/Madam,
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act and in regard your August 17th, 1999 ruling regarding colloidal silver, could you please supply the following documentation on which you based your decision?
1. The number of deaths related to the consumption of colloidal silver.
2. The number of allergic reactions to the consumption of colloidal silver.
3. The number of harmful drug interactions from both OTC and prescription drugs when combined with colloidal silver.
4. The number of reported cases of Argyria from colloidal silver made with the AC or DC electrical process.
5. The number of cases of Argyria from colloidal silver that did not contain protein stabilizers.
Thank you for your time and consideration of this request.
Sincerely,
-----------------------------------------------------
The FDA response:
Public Health Service
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Office of Training and Communication
Freedom of Information Staff HFD-205
5600 Fishers Lane 12 B 05
Rockville, Maryland 20857
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 3, 1999
In Response Refer to File: F99-22589
[ Name Removed ], WA 98408
Dear [ name removed ]
This is in response to your request of 10/14/99, in which you requested adverse events associated with the use of Colloidal Silver. Your request was received in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research on 10/25/99.
We have searched the records from FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) and have been unable to locate any cases that would be responsive to your request.
Charges of $3.50 (Search $3.50, Review $0, Reproduction $0, Computer time $0) will be included in a monthly invoice. DO NOT SEND ANY PAYMENT UNTIL YOU RECEIVE AN INVOICE.
If there are any problems with this response, please notify us in writing of your specific problem(s). Please reference the above file number.
Sincerely,
Hal Stepper
Freedom of Information Technician
Office of Training and Communications
Freedom of Information Staff, HFD-205

Last edited by ino; 10-05-2010 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Add emphasis

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Oh oh I can play too! Check it:

Dear FDA. Please send me all documentation on the research indicating that colloidal silver provides a medical or health benefit to human beings. Love, AnonChick.

Dear AnonChick:
There are none. Hugs and kisses, the FDA.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Will this suffice? Read it carefully, in particular look for my emphasis in bold, and this communication is nowhere near as ancient as that Jacobs case that appears to be everyones favourite whipping boy/girl.

October 14th, 1999
Food and Drug Administration
U.S. Department Of Health and
Human Services
Public Health Service
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
Dear Sirs/Madam,
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act and in regard your August 17th, 1999 ruling regarding colloidal silver, could you please supply the following documentation on which you based your decision?
1. The number of deaths related to the consumption of colloidal silver.
2. The number of allergic reactions to the consumption of colloidal silver.
3. The number of harmful drug interactions from both OTC and prescription drugs when combined with colloidal silver.
4. The number of reported cases of Argyria from colloidal silver made with the AC or DC electrical process.
5. The number of cases of Argyria from colloidal silver that did not contain protein stabilizers.
Thank you for your time and consideration of this request.
Sincerely,
-----------------------------------------------------
The FDA response:
Public Health Service
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Office of Training and Communication
Freedom of Information Staff HFD-205
5600 Fishers Lane 12 B 05
Rockville, Maryland 20857
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 3, 1999
In Response Refer to File: F99-22589
[ Name Removed ], WA 98408
Dear [ name removed ]
This is in response to your request of 10/14/99, in which you requested adverse events associated with the use of Colloidal Silver. Your request was received in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research on 10/25/99.
We have searched the records from FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) and have been unable to locate any cases that would be responsive to your request.
Charges of $3.50 (Search $3.50, Review $0, Reproduction $0, Computer time $0) will be included in a monthly invoice. DO NOT SEND ANY PAYMENT UNTIL YOU RECEIVE AN INVOICE.
If there are any problems with this response, please notify us in writing of your specific problem(s). Please reference the above file number.
Sincerely,
Hal Stepper
Freedom of Information Technician
Office of Training and Communications
Freedom of Information Staff, HFD-205
Well, no, it does not suffice.

You were asked to provide studies confirming any benefit to ingesting silver in any form. You have not done so.

If, as you suggest, ionic silver is not going to cause argyria, it will be due to the fact that it will react with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach to form silver chloride, which is insoluble in water. All you are making is expensive poop. And since it stays in the gut, the only bacteria it could affect are those in the intestine. If it is antibacterial, you bump off the "good" bacteria and voila! diarrhea! The only way it could not potentially cause argyria is if it is not absorbed into the blood at all. So what does "ionic" silver do? How does it make anyone healthier?

When you think about it, this is the most nearly perfect con: convince someone to spend money for the benefit of his health on something that has no biologic effect because it cannot be absorbed. Can I interest you in buying some activated charcoal to absorb all the "toxins" in your GI tract?

The problem is that "ions" do not like to stay "ions". They feel naked, poor things. A positive ion will quickly find a negative ion to latch onto. What happens to your "ions" when they encounter saliva in the mouth?

Any silver product, when ingested, will have the potential to cause argyria. Even "ionic" silver, because there is no way to guarantee it stays "ionic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine