Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,859,680 times

Advertisements

https://www.hri-research.org/resourc...oss-the-world/

Surprise look who comes in last place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 09:22 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,093,183 times
I never know what some mean by using that word. Many use the terms homeopathy and herbalism interchangeably but they are NOT the same.

Homeopathy is the concept that like cures like. Whatever makes you sick will also cure you. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Herbalism (or herbal medicine) is the study and use of plants to be used for medicinal purposes and supplementing a diet (prevention, alleviating symptoms, etc.). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbalism

OP, I thought you were using herbalism, not homeopathy.???

Old 11-26-2017, 10:08 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,828,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I never know what some mean by using that word. Many use the terms homeopathy and herbalism interchangeably but they are NOT the same.

Homeopathy is the concept that like cures like. Whatever makes you sick will also cure you. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Herbalism (or herbal medicine) is the study and use of plants to be used for medicinal purposes and supplementing a diet (prevention, alleviating symptoms, etc.). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbalism

OP, I thought you were using herbalism, not homeopathy.???
I think the OP was talking about homeopathy.

If you have never been cured by it, you won't believe in it. That's because so many sources say that it's impossible and that it doesn't work. It doesn't even seem plausible when you think about it--and that's why I scoffed at it when someone suggested that I try it. It's very hard to believe in it.

For some unknown reason, it does work--in the right hands. You usually can't just go to a store and buy something homeopathic and --whoopie! it works! The practitioner has to be well experienced with the art and science of how and when it works and which remedy will work for which particular person. It's very personalized. One symptom may have dozens and dozens of possible remedies but you have to specifically match other criteria in order for it to work.

Sometimes a doctor only uses a few specific remedies with which they are very familiar. This is because no one is researching homeopathy anymore so its use is limited. The doctors stick with the few that they know can really work. And they do not know why it works; no one knows.

I have had absolutely no success using that flu remedy and no success using something called Rescue Remedy. I had phenomenal success when a woman MD prescribed homeopathic sepia during menopause. I also had astounding success with a dentist who did a few crowns and prescribed homeopathic remedies that got that "plastic" or "chemical" taste out of my mouth. I don't get that plastic taste anymore because my health has improved since those days but back then I was so sick that I was sensitive to just about everything and got sick just from ordinary materials any dentist would use.

I'd be interested in using homeopathic remedies if I could go to someone in Europe or wherever they are knowledgeable. It's a nice alternative to the Rx medications that usually have side effects. Reminds me of my old time doctor who would say that the body can heal itself.

(You can expect the naysayers who have never tried homeopathy and who believe everything they read, to come on and start citing studies that "prove" that homeopathy doesn't work. )

Actually, I think I'll read up and see what the Europeans and others use for remedies--homeopathy has pretty much been stomped out here in the US in favor of prescription medicine so we need to look abroad to see what's going on. It's best to be seen by a doctor so they can figure out the right remedy for you, in particular, but the Europeans (and maybe people in India) might be onto a few remedies that don't require a doctor's input.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:27 AM

9,945 posts, read 7,838,133 times
Quote:
Interesting. I have never heard anyone that thought that homeopathy and herbalism were the same.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Interesting. I have never heard anyone that thought that homeopathy and herbalism were the same.
Neither have I. I do think homeopathy incorporates some herbs but it uses other substances too. One thing that comes to mind is sulphur. A long time ago I went to Germany with my ex-dh and he was complaining of dandruff. No dr in the US had helped him at all. In Germany (and a product like this may be available here today but it wasn't back then) the pharmacist recommended a shampoo containing sulphur. Bingo! No more dandruff.

One of the big homeopathic remedies is sulphur. I think they evaluate the person on the whole if they are looking for a major remedy so they would interview the person and ask about their skin, how they feel in different types of weather, if they get colds a lot...whatever. More than that, I don't know.

And for colds, sulphur is recommended in many cases. (I know because this thread got me to looking stuff up, lol.)

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...on-flu-remedy/

the Native Americans used them [onions] to ward off the common cold and flu. In fact, the World Health Organization has even recognized the onion for its ability to help relieve flu symptoms including coughs, congestion, respiratory infections and bronchitis.[1]

The article goes on to say that onions are high in sulfuric compounds like thiosulfinates, sulfoxides, and other odorous cysteine sulfoxides. Apparently humans have known these things for centuries. The Native Americans weren't dumb either. Onions are closely related to garlic, another food that's recommended.

Homeopathy uses sulphur in its own way for curing colds and in other ways to cure generalized health issues. How they do it--I do not know. They reduce it into pellets that are absorbed sublingually.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My wife is an herbalist and at least 3-4 times a week she encounters people incorrectly using the terms herbalism, naturopathy and homeopathy interchangeably.

I was just wondering what the OP meant. She writes often about grape seed extract and other remedies that are naturopathic/herbal, not homeopathic.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:44 PM

I meant Homeopathy which I do use now and have used others in previous times. I've been working with alternatives for over 25 yrs, not for pay.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:57 PM

This is kinda interesting, Walgreens is selling a lot of homeopathics on line and are not available in stores.

https://www.walgreens.com/q/homeopat...f+with+sulfur#!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Neither have I. I do think homeopathy incorporates some herbs but it uses other substances too. One thing that comes to mind is sulphur. A long time ago I went to Germany with my ex-dh and he was complaining of dandruff. No dr in the US had helped him at all. In Germany (and a product like this may be available here today but it wasn't back then) the pharmacist recommended a shampoo containing sulphur. Bingo! No more dandruff.

One of the big homeopathic remedies is sulphur. I think they evaluate the person on the whole if they are looking for a major remedy so they would interview the person and ask about their skin, how they feel in different types of weather, if they get colds a lot...whatever. More than that, I don't know.

And for colds, sulphur is recommended in many cases. (I know because this thread got me to looking stuff up, lol.)

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...on-flu-remedy/

the Native Americans used them [onions] to ward off the common cold and flu. In fact, the World Health Organization has even recognized the onion for its ability to help relieve flu symptoms including coughs, congestion, respiratory infections and bronchitis.[1]

The article goes on to say that onions are high in sulfuric compounds like thiosulfinates, sulfoxides, and other odorous cysteine sulfoxides. Apparently humans have known these things for centuries. The Native Americans weren't dumb either. Onions are closely related to garlic, another food that's recommended.

Homeopathy uses sulphur in its own way for curing colds and in other ways to cure generalized health issues. How they do it--I do not know. They reduce it into pellets that are absorbed sublingually.
Those are home remedies, not homeopathic remedies. Europeans also knew about onions to relieve cold symptoms. What many know that works even better is prevention - that including onions, garlic and other nutritional requirements keeps the immune system strong so that you are less likely to get sick, and better equipped to fight it off if you do.

Homeopathic remedies are purposely diluted to nothing. The claim is that stripping away the substance somehow makes it more potent - that there is an "energy" left that is supposed to cure you. These homeopathic sites describe the dilution process that is used for homeopathic remedies.

The Thought Behind the Action - Potency: What it is and what it means | National Center for Homeopathy

How Homeopathic Remedies Are Made | Dr. Masiello | Homeopath & Osteopath NYC & CT

Homeopathic remedies are not at all similar to home remedies or botanical/herbal remedies.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Those are home remedies, not homeopathic remedies. Europeans also knew about onions to relieve cold symptoms. What many know that works even better is prevention - that including onions, garlic and other nutritional requirements keeps the immune system strong so that you are less likely to get sick, and better equipped to fight it off if you do.

Homeopathic remedies are purposely diluted to nothing. The claim is that stripping away the substance somehow makes it more potent - that there is an "energy" left that is supposed to cure you. These homeopathic sites describe the dilution process that is used for homeopathic remedies.

The Thought Behind the Action - Potency: What it is and what it means | National Center for Homeopathy

How Homeopathic Remedies Are Made | Dr. Masiello | Homeopath & Osteopath NYC & CT

Homeopathic remedies are not at all similar to home remedies or botanical/herbal remedies.
I know. I was only noting that sulphur as a homeopathic remedy compares to sulphur used as an old fashioned home remedy. Sulphur as a homeopathic remedy is used for coughs and colds. Onions and garlic are high in sulphur. Onions and garlic are helpful for coughs and colds. Just thought that was interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine