Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,309 times

Advertisements

I took a calcium supplement (Dr recommended) for 8 plus yrs and was also taking Tums because I have colitis. The extra calcium built up in my LAD and caused a heart attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
From a groggy memory of an article I read yesterday.....

They have found a link between gut health and osteoporsis. They used that info with rats and were able to cure the osteoporsis. They discovered that the gut has tons of neurons and is responsible for a lot of the serotonin and dopamine regulation.

This is similar but not the same article:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ts-your-bones/

I started eating/drinking lots of pro-biotic things a while ago to see if it would make a difference with health conditions, after reading a bunch on how the gut can affect health.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-31-2018, 10:53 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
I took a calcium supplement (Dr recommended) for 8 plus yrs and was also taking Tums because I have colitis. The extra calcium built up in my LAD and caused a heart attack.
So you believe the extra calcium build up caused heart attack.

I stopped believing the "more calcium" intake from MD's some yrs ago. First was the calcifications in breasts from mammograms.

Then years later a friend ended up with calcium deposits on her thryoid as her MD pushed Tums...and she ended up having a good portion of thyroid removed. So many pop those tums like they are candy.

Wrong wrong advice as far as all I've read.

A rheumy I was seeing after my hip replacement kept pushing calcium and kept pushing back on her advice and said "it's magneisum we need"....we almost got into it..but I stopped...but never took her advice.

I take no calcium tabs to speak of, maybe once in a while I'll take 250mg cap but make sure I get my daily D3/K2 and my higher doses of magnesium.

Trust I get enough calcium from foods. I've had some falls in 2016, due to another issue and broke no bones. It was an infection in my knee and it's a long story. I'm 80 soon and believe my bones are strong, but do deal with OA.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:43 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
From a groggy memory of an article I read yesterday.....

They have found a link between gut health and osteoporsis. They used that info with rats and were able to cure the osteoporsis. They discovered that the gut has tons of neurons and is responsible for a lot of the serotonin and dopamine regulation.

This is similar but not the same article:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ts-your-bones/

I started eating/drinking lots of pro-biotic things a while ago to see if it would make a difference with health conditions, after reading a bunch on how the gut can affect health.
Absolutely. I've read about that for years. Some call the gut the second brain.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:01 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,309 times
Yes, I was also popping Tums like crazy for colitis.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 AM

It's tragic how so many MD's have it so wrong with what they tell patients to do like the Tums stuff...they sure do helps Tums profits.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:24 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Some food for thought:

There is no GOOD source of dietary calcium except for dairy products, and most Americans don't take in enough dairy. Use your favorite diet site and check your own usual diet for proof of this.

Unless you do get enough calcium each day, your bones will supply calcium to keep your blood level in the normal range. After yrs of making up the deficit, you will develop de-calcified bones. Women start out with less calcium in their skeletons than men, so are more likely to develop out-right osteopenia or osteoporosis.

PTH/calcitonin/Vit D levels & weight bearing stresses vary between individuals and affect how fast we lose/gain calcium.

If you wait until later in life to start replenishing your calcium stores with supplements, it may be too late. Your hormonal status is not the same as when you were younger and the simple supplementsmay not be effective.

You don't get pathological deposits of calcium in your healthy organs until your intake is several grams per day over extended time periods. Recommended dosing is 800-1000 milligrams per day.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:41 PM

I take none but get it from foods and Magnesium which is so overlooked. Going on 80 bones are pretty good...arthritis is not but that's another issue. Thanks to finding the Vit D3/K2 deficiency issue...so so long going on.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I have a severe dairy allergy and can't get enough calcium from food. Yep, I try to eat broccoli and all that good stuff but I don't think I get enough calcium. So I take a calcium citrate (with the usual stuff in it) and magnesium too, of course. No one knows if these calcium deposits people get are due to too much calcium or too much of the WRONG kind of calcium--like the kind that's in TUMS.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:30 PM

I had forgotten that I was taking Strontium on and off for some yrs. And have not taken any for some months maybe a year now. I have 1/2 jar of capsules and just took 2 on empty stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine