Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:28 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No one knows if these calcium deposits people get are due to too much calcium or too much of the WRONG kind of calcium--like the kind that's in TUMS.

Damaged tissue (eg-arteriosclerosis, arthritis, old cuts & tears, etc) accumulates Ca as part of the inflammatory/healing process. How much gets deposited has to do with the amopunt of damage and personal differences in that process.

Serum Ca level is one of the most tightly controlled (ie- very narrow range of fluctuation) for each individual. Low serum Ca is almost unheard, of (excepting the rare genetic forms of hypoparathyroidism). Your skeleton stores about 10 lb of Ca-- a rich source to supplement a deficient diet to keep the serum level in normal range.

As I said earlier, you don't get deposition of Ca in healthy tissue unless your dietary intake is absurdly high.

There is no "right" or "wrong" form of Ca supplement, only more efficiently or less efficiently absorbed forms.

BTW- nobody not on diuretics needs a Mg supplement. Mg serves as a co-factor for many, many common enzymes. All living tissue contains plenty of it, so if your diet consists of plants & animals and not just Twinkies & Yo-Hos, you're getting enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Damaged tissue (eg-arteriosclerosis, arthritis, old cuts & tears, etc) accumulates Ca as part of the inflammatory/healing process. How much gets deposited has to do with the amopunt of damage and personal differences in that process.

Serum Ca level is one of the most tightly controlled (ie- very narrow range of fluctuation) for each individual. Low serum Ca is almost unheard, of (excepting the rare genetic forms of hypoparathyroidism). Your skeleton stores about 10 lb of Ca-- a rich source to supplement a deficient diet to keep the serum level in normal range.

As I said earlier, you don't get deposition of Ca in healthy tissue unless your dietary intake is absurdly high.

There is no "right" or "wrong" form of Ca supplement, only more efficiently or less efficiently absorbed forms.

BTW- nobody not on diuretics needs a Mg supplement. Mg serves as a co-factor for many, many common enzymes. All living tissue contains plenty of it, so if your diet consists of plants & animals and not just Twinkies & Yo-Hos, you're getting enough.
What? You are 100% wrong about getting enough magnesium. I am not on diuretics and I definitely need to supplement with magnesium. About 20 years ago I was very sick (chronically) and my doctor tested me for magnesium within the cell. (Yes, we all know about the calcium and magnesium in the blood.) The results showed an extreme deficiency. So what you are saying isn't true. You really think I'm eating Twinkies and whatever?

To this day if I don't take magnesium, my feet will cramp up. After taking it, you can see my feet going back to normal.

Why waste your time and money taking something like calcium carbonate when it's so poorly absorbed? I think we all realize that some forms are well absorbed while others are not. You are not telling us anything we don't already know.

And there are studies about taking vitamin K2 for calcium absorption. I am not going back and look for what we already posted a few months ago but it's being studied and no one knows for sure. They are thinking that it possibly can affect where the calcium is deposited.

I, for one, will NEVER stop taking magnesium. The deficiency was diagnosed by two different doctors and I don't enjoy cramped up feet either. I will never stop taking a calcium supplement either because I am very allergic to all dairy products. I suppose I can get all my calcium needs from my Twinkies?

You are a lot less knowledgeable than my doctors. They test me and then they recommend magnesium based upon the results and they also know I need to supplement with calcium because I can't eat any dairy product at all. They also tell me not to bother with the poorly absorbed types of calcium. Is this some new fad--telling people that they don't need to take magnesium? As if it's a blanket statement, true for all? It's one of the most common deficiencies in America. I'll trust my own doctors and their tests.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

You are a lot less knowledgeable than my doctors. They test me .....
\You're either not understanding your doctors correctly (more likely) or they're scamming you (less likely). Perhaps in your conversation with them, they merely tried to explain that serum Mg level does not necessarily reflect total body Mg accurately.

Only sophisticated tests available in research labs can tell you your intra-cellular Mg level. To begin with, they'd need a tissue sample. Did they submit you to a biopsy?

Mg, when given in large pharmacological doses, slows down all nerve conduction & muscle contraction, whether or not you're "deficient." You probably have cramps due to some cause other than Mg deficiency, but using Mg supplements is a good treatment. I give it to my high spirited horse to settle her down. It works like a charm.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:43 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
\You're either not understanding your doctors correctly (more likely) or they're scamming you (less likely). Perhaps in your conversation with them, they merely tried to explain that serum Mg level does not necessarily reflect total body Mg accurately.

Only sophisticated tests available in research labs can tell you your intra-cellular Mg level. To begin with, they'd need a tissue sample. Did they submit you to a biopsy?

Mg, when given in large pharmacological doses, slows down all nerve conduction & muscle contraction, whether or not you're "deficient." You probably have cramps due to some cause other than Mg deficiency, but using Mg supplements is a good treatment. I give it to my high spirited horse to settle her down. It works like a charm.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/magnesium-test#1

Test how much magnesium you get rid of in your pee.
Test the level of magnesium in your red blood cells (RBC).
Test the magnesium in your cells, not in your blood. This test is known as an “EXA Test,” and is done through a sample of your mouth cells. It is not easy to get this test because it is not commonly known and it is very expensive.
Add magnesium to your blood, then see how much goes into your urine.

My drs are not scammers and what they are saying isn't hard to understand either.

Since the above tests were what they used, the tests showed very low magnesium, and my tremors and cramps vanished when they gave me magnesium, I'll continue to believe that it's a magnesium deficiency. I have some sort of digestive issue which is poorly understood and can't even absorb the magnesium very well when it's given by injection.

I did not have a biopsy, just the above tests. Of course magnesium causes the muscles to relax and that, plus the test results, is why I always take it.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
On Migraines

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22426836
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine