Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,565,912 times

Advertisements

So I had a thread on here about how most calcium recommendations are dead wrong but it got closed. Here is just another example of why excess calcium supplementation is bad for you.

Calcium supplements may up risk of colon polyps

https://www.futurity.org/calcium-sup...ancer-1720542/

Calcium supplements, taken with or without vitamin D, may increase the risk of small growths in the bowel called polyps, a new trial of more than 2,000 people shows.

However, during the later observational phase (six to 10 years after treatment began), the researchers found increased risks of serrated polyps among patients taking calcium alone and among those taking a combination of calcium and vitamin D.

So to sum up... additional consumption of calcium was the key factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 06:53 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
How about calcium and magnesium? You're not supposed to take calcium alone.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times
I find this informative:

Optimum Calcium Magnesium Ratio | Nutritional Magnesium Association

I take much more mag than calcium in supplement form. And when I think of MD's telling patients to take 1000mg+ calcium and not even mentioning magnesium, happened with a rheumy I was seeing, I can get upset. I balked at her recommendation and did not listen to her.

Consider your foods too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-07-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
So I had a thread on here about how most calcium recommendations are dead wrong but it got closed. Here is just another example of why excess calcium supplementation is bad for you.

Calcium supplements may up risk of colon polyps

https://www.futurity.org/calcium-sup...ancer-1720542/

Calcium supplements, taken with or without vitamin D, may increase the risk of small growths in the bowel called polyps, a new trial of more than 2,000 people shows.

However, during the later observational phase (six to 10 years after treatment began), the researchers found increased risks of serrated polyps among patients taking calcium alone and among those taking a combination of calcium and vitamin D.

So to sum up... additional consumption of calcium was the key factor.
Thanks..

Old 04-08-2018, 07:51 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,565,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
How about calcium and magnesium? You're not supposed to take calcium alone.
But people do and people have. If you listen to doctors that is what they will tell you to do. Even still taking excess calcium at all is wrong because you get enough in your food. Which also generally has enough co factors. Also some foods are fortified with extra calcium. I also take a K2 supplement (also known as MK-7). I take more co factors as supplements and no extra calcium.

I have talked about this before but I have found evidence that excess calcium in the blood stream is responsible for like 10 chronic conditions.

- calcium mixes with cholesterol and forms plaques. Hardening of the arteries. This is easy to see in every day life. If you have hard water you will have a sticky glue on your sink eventually.

- Too much calcium in the blood stream causes your body to store excess in the bones - using osteobalasts to do so, but after doing this for 40 years... you use all your osteoblasts... and now have osteoporosis because your body can no longer get calcium into the bone well.

- excess calcium causes arthritis and joint problems as it deposits in your joints.

- excess calcium is a contributing factor in diabetes. It has been linked with insulin resistance. The calcium gets into your cells and blocks insulin receptors so insulin doesn't unlock the cells to allow sugar in. Thus both sugar and insulin get stuck out in the blood stream.

And now...
- excess calcium causes polyps in your colon. My mom's aunt died of colon cancer. She was addicted to ice cream and often would eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner. We all assumed it was the fat.. but... seems now to be the excess calcium.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,361,137 times
Thanks for the info. I have taken calcium supplements in the past but noticed an increase in dental tartar with them (even with taking vitamins K2 and D). So I avoid supplementing with calcium, but I do eat dairy and leafy greens everyday.

I have supplemented for many years with magnesium and zinc, which I think are the real workhorse minerals in the body in terms of bones as well as all the many enzymes and systems they are involved in. It's reported that most people are deficient in one or both of those.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Thanks for the info. I have taken calcium supplements in the past but noticed an increase in dental tartar with them (even with taking vitamins K2 and D). So I avoid supplementing with calcium, but I do eat dairy and leafy greens everyday.

I have supplemented for many years with magnesium and zinc, which I think are the real workhorse minerals in the body in terms of bones as well as all the many enzymes and systems they are involved in. It's reported that most people are deficient in one or both of those.

That's interesting on the tartar and teeth, I supplement with hardly any calcium but yes with magnesium and I have no tartar and I do believe the use of Coconut Oil toothpaste has made a huge difference too...dentists don't see me these years.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:21 PM

1,063 posts, read 698,536 times
Calcium is annoying. I cannot take much of it in supplement form otherwise it gives me kidney pain from minor stones. (The type that don't show up on tests). But you can feel the irritation in the kidney and uterer/urethra from the crystals.

I can't have cow's milk so I try to eat Manchego cheese, Soymilk, Tofu (calcium fortified) and fresh carrot juice (actual carrots juiced at home)

Spinach has a lot of calcium but makes my bowels go at 100mph if I eat too much.

Overall, I think calcium is only part of the story as others have mentioned. Just ensure your D is adequate is half the battle. Allows you to properly manage the free calcium you do have and keep it out of the arteries. K is easy to get from my green juice and Multi so I don't add extra.

D3/K2/Boron/Mag all help Cal do it's job

Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,694,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Calcium is annoying. I cannot take much of it in supplement form otherwise it gives me kidney pain from minor stones. (The type that don't show up on tests). But you can feel the irritation in the kidney and uterer/urethra from the crystals.

I can't have cow's milk so I try to eat Manchego cheese, Soymilk, Tofu (calcium fortified) and fresh carrot juice (actual carrots juiced at home)

Spinach has a lot of calcium but makes my bowels go at 100mph if I eat too much.

Overall, I think calcium is only part of the story as others have mentioned. Just ensure your D is adequate is half the battle. Allows you to properly manage the free calcium you do have and keep it out of the arteries. K is easy to get from my green juice and Multi so I don't add extra.

Yep, supplementing with calcium irritates my kidneys, too.

Sometimes I take a CalMag pill, sometimes just magnesium/potassium/zinc/D/B complex/C and other supplements depending on season and needs.

Got through this flu season without getting the flu and didn't get the flu shot...upped the C and drank quite a bit of Green tea...added lots of garlic to my diet to ward the flu off, too.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:58 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post

Are you taking calcium citrate? There are other forms that can irritate or are mostly useless. I know one is oyster shell/calcium carbonate. From what I've read, the body doesn't absorb it well so it may go where you don't want it to go. That's the theory anyway. Do you drink soda? For some reason, my ex got calcium kidney stones that went away after he stopped drinking soda. We figured it out but it was a long time ago so I can't remember the reasoning.

I take calcium citrate and magnesium glycinate. I haven't found a good supplement that contains both without a bunch of other junk in with it. (Things that I do not need like B6, copper, etc. I get my vitamins and minerals from another supplement and I don't want to get too much of anything.) So I take the calcium citrate and magnesium glycinate separately throughout the day. We've talked a lot about magnesium and the different forms--if one doesn't work, another form probably will.

It sounds like you get a pretty good amount of calcium in your diet. I can't drink milk either--so I just use the calcium citrate and try to get calcium from vegetables. BTW, caffeine makes you excrete calcium--some people don't realize that and they drink large amounts of coffee or soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine