Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
My hubby has been an adherent of polypharmacy for quite a few years. When he quit taking statins, his cholesterol went down. When he reduced the dose of his BP medication, his BP went down. Last week, he ran out of the medication that's supposed to make him urinate less at night, and now he's urinating less at night. Go figure.
Well, I wonder what would happen IF I stopped taking my BP meds...I've been on them for years and like MANY on BP meds, the fear instilled in us when we started on them...ummmmm

No statins for this lady, I'm not convinced of the cholesterol fear anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I wonder what would happen IF I stopped taking my BP meds...I've been on them for years and like MANY on BP meds, the fear instilled in us when we started on them...ummmmm

Me neither. From what I understand, it's healthier for postmenopausal women to have higher cholesterol rather than lower cholesterol anyway.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:14 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Quote:

There must be a reason you have high blood pressure.

Very often, it results from artery disease, but I think you said you don't have that. When the arteries get hardened and narrowed, blood pressure may increase to make sure all the cells get enough blood. So lowering BP with drugs kind of undermines what the body is trying to do.

But when there is no artery disease, I don't know what can cause high BP. Are you sure it's dangerous?

My mother was on BP lowering drugs since she was relatively young. The doctors never tried to figure out the cause. She wound up having strokes, while on the drugs. She did have artery disease, blocked arteries, shown on an arteriogram.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There must be a reason you have high blood pressure.

Very often, it results from artery disease, but I think you said you don't have that. When the arteries get hardened and narrowed, blood pressure may increase to make sure all the cells get enough blood. So lowering BP with drugs kind of undermines what the body is trying to do.

But when there is no artery disease, I don't know what can cause high BP. Are you sure it's dangerous?

My mother was on BP lowering drugs since she was relatively young. The doctors never tried to figure out the cause. She wound up having strokes, while on the drugs. She did have artery disease, blocked arteries, shown on an arteriogram.
Dangerous? I don't know what is or what is not. I don't know anything for sure about the body and all the drugs we take after visits with doctors and labs...

I could have blamed it on white coat when I first started at the MD's but as far as I know I'm fine...yes on the meds..

When you hear that fear term: Silent killer that phrase could be part of the fear of it too....what do we believe? Both my parents took a tiny little BP med as long as I can remember, did they need it, who knows on that one too.

As I've aged, I changed foods/drinks a lot and my BP could be fine now. I use to drink 2-3 cups of coffee daily, now it's a morning cup only. No more alcohol. So again, I could be fine on no meds BUT......

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-21-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Quote:
Dangerous? I don't know what is or what is not. I don't know anything for sure about the body and all the drugs we take after visits with doctors and labs...

I could have blamed it on white coat when I first started at the MD's but as far as I know I'm fine...yes on the meds..

When you hear that fear term: Silent killer that phrase could be part of the fear of it too....what do we believe? Both my parents took a tiny little BP med as long as I can remember, did they need it, who knows on that one too.

As I've aged, I changed foods/drinks a lot and my BP could be fine now. I use to drink 2-3 cups of coffee daily, now it's a morning cup only. No more alcohol. So again, I could be fine on no meds BUT......
But you're afraid to stop. If it were me, I would stop. But I would never recommend that to someone else because I can understand the fear. Maybe check with your doctor.

Does high blood pressure really kill? Maybe we don't even know. It is probably associated with heart attacks and strokes, very often, but that doesn't mean it's the cause. The cause is diseased arteries, which cause the heart attacks and strokes, and also cause the high blood pressure.

Medical professionals seem to have a hard time understanding that something can be associated, without actually being the cause.

Maybe your BP would be normal without the drug. But I understand you are afraid to find out.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
But you're afraid to stop. If it were me, I would stop. But I would never recommend that to someone else because I can understand the fear. Maybe check with your doctor.

Does high blood pressure really kill? Maybe we don't even know. It is probably associated with heart attacks and strokes, very often, but that doesn't mean it's the cause. The cause is diseased arteries, which cause the heart attacks and strokes, and also cause the high blood pressure.

Medical professionals seem to have a hard time understanding that something can be associated, without actually being the cause.

Maybe your BP would be normal without the drug. But I understand you are afraid to find out.
Yes, I'm afraid to stop. Ask my doctor, when I go in there once a year or so, it reads high so who the H knows..is it the silent killer. Is it all situational. It's probably all of the above.

I know my BP does NOT run low.

A good friend who was NEVER taking drugs and due to coming down with afib is now on 5 or so heart meds and hates hates it...but as she says, she fears a stroke.

Will we ever know -- I don't think so.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-22-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
I think this may be relevant to this thread. I already thought this way so it's nothing new to me. I don't expect it to change anyone's mind either, so it's FYI.

Heart Surgeon Speaks Out About the True Cause of Heart Disease

Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I think this may be relevant to this thread. I already thought this way so it's nothing new to me. I don't expect it to change anyone's mind either, so it's FYI.

Heart Surgeon Speaks Out About the True Cause of Heart Disease
State strips Gilbert doctor of license after inquiry into deaths

Old 07-23-2018, 01:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
So what? Try reading the article that you post next time. That happened in 2008 for totally unrelated issues.
It doesn't matter, it's the message I wanted to get out, the messenger doesn't matter although what you state doesn't matter either. Quit trying to discredit everything and everybody, get a life.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:15 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
So what? Try reading the article that you post next time. That happened in 2008 for totally unrelated issues.
It doesn't matter, it's the message I wanted to get out, the messenger doesn't matter although what you state doesn't matter either. Quit trying to discredit everything and everybody, get a life.
Yes, the messenger does matter. The information in the link I gave goes to the credibility of the person in yours.

Our readers can use it however they wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine