Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,427,814 times

Advertisements

"After doing his own review of the research, Mandrola concluded that for lower-risk patients, statins raise the risk of diabetes in about the same number of people who might avoid a first heart attack or stroke on the drugs. And they don’t lower a person’s overall risk of an early death."

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...effects-news#1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Will you stay on topic! AND, saying "mods, will you close this" does absolutely nothing. Mods do not have time to sit and read every single post. If you see something wrong, REPORT it but do not talk about it in the thread. I just saw this thread. I do not read most threads. Thanks.

And I am going to delete the off topic posts about "the mods" and about who has an agenda and who doesn't. If you agree or disagree with the opening post, just say so and then go elsewhere.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4513492/

"Traditional efforts to prevent cardiovascular disease have emphasized the benefits of cholesterol lowering and statin drugs. Often overlooked is the fact that numerous studies of cholesterol lowering have failed to demonstrate a mortality benefit and the benefits of statins may have been overstated. The Mediterranean diet has consistently lowered cardiovascular events and mortality in numerous studies and does not typically lower cholesterol levels. Alternative theories of atherosclerosis are independent of cholesterol metabolism and may provide the key to future preventive strategies."

Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...35109717302796

"Compared to beneficiaries with high statin adherence, statin intolerance was associated with a 36% higher rate of recurrent MI (41.1 vs. 30.1 per 1,000 person-years, respectively), a 43% higher rate of CHD events (62.5 vs. 43.8 per 1,000 person-years, respectively), and a 15% lower rate of all-cause mortality (79.9 vs. 94.2 per 1,000 person-years, respectively)."

This says that although statin drugs decreased heart attacks, it INCREASED all-cause mortality!

So, the patients taking statins were MORE likely to die, even though they were less likely to have a heart attack.

But the article still recommends that heart disease patients take statins!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 AM

Most*heart attack patients' cholesterol levels did not indicate cardiac risk | UCLA

A study in 2009 found that 75% of heart attack patients did NOT have high cholesterol!

So, naturally, that would make you wonder if maybe high cholesterol is NOT the cause of most heart attacks.

But, no, it did NOT make them wonder that! It made them think the guidelines for cholesterol should be made even lower!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:40 PM

Breaking News: Statins Make You Fat! |

"In the largest and most thorough review of statins analyzed 11 clinical trials involving 65,229 participants and was published in the Archives of Internal Medicine in June 2010. The analysis provided the most reliable evidence available on the impact of statin therapy on all-cause mortality among high-risk individuals without prior CVD. The results showed that the use of statin therapy did not result in reduction in all-cause mortality in these high-risk patients."

"Either the statins contribute directly to obesity by affecting metabolism or appetite in some manner or they led to “false reassurance” that led to poor dietary choices and a sedentary life."

(Probably by affecting metabolism, is my guess).

"Given the fact that the use of statins is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes, there could be a biological basis for the noted observation – the promotion of insulin resistance."

ISN'T THIS AWFUL? They do nothing to prevent death even in high risk individuals! And they can cause the problems (obesity, insulin resistance) that are a major cause of heart disease!!

Old 07-21-2018, 07:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,959,193 times
For those that actually research and look for information, this is not news.

For those that follow big pharma blindly, I'm sure they will continue to take their statins, ignoring evidence that they are truly harming themselves.

Even now, I am unaware of any study that proves taking statins prevents heart attacks. That direct association has never been supported. They do lower cholesterol though, which is completely unnecessary. Older women in particular are healthier with higher rather than lower cholesterol. And statins of course cause all sorts of other problems.

And everyone knows when you have insulin resistance you are a life-long patient. So ...

Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
For those that actually research and look for information, this is not news.

For those that follow big pharma blindly, I'm sure they will continue to take their statins, ignoring evidence that they are truly harming themselves.

Even now, I am unaware of any study that proves taking statins prevents heart attacks. That direct association has never been supported. They do lower cholesterol though, which is completely unnecessary. Older women in particular are healthier with higher rather than lower cholesterol. And statins of course cause all sorts of other problems.

And everyone knows when you have insulin resistance you are a life-long patient. So ...
Yes I completely agree, of course. You are right, this is nothing new, has been known for a long time. But unfortunately there is too much blind faith in medical experts and the drug industry.

Modern medicine can save lives, so it has earned a tremendous amount of respect. There are some things it knows and can do, many other thing it does not know and cannot do.

Maybe it's human nature to either trust completely or distrust completely. It's a lot easier than thinking carefully and skeptically.

There was a time when the tobacco companies had millions of people convinced their products were safe. They used propaganda and deceptive statistics. I think we now have a similar situation with statin drugs. I don't know if the drug companies know how harmful and useless statins are. Maybe they have deceived themselves.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:38 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,959,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes I completely agree, of course. You are right, this is nothing new, has been known for a long time. But unfortunately there is too much blind faith in medical experts and the drug industry.

Modern medicine can save lives, so it has earned a tremendous amount of respect. There are some things it knows and can do, many other thing it does not know and cannot do.

Maybe it's human nature to either trust completely or distrust completely. It's a lot easier than thinking carefully and skeptically.

There was a time when the tobacco companies had millions of people convinced their products were safe. They used propaganda and deceptive statistics. I think we now have a similar situation with statin drugs. I don't know if the drug companies know how harmful and useless statins are. Maybe they have deceived themselves.
Doctors know. I worked with a famous cardiologist years ago, and he refused to care for patients that would not change their diet. If he took the patient, and they refused to be accountable for their own health, he dropped them, recommended them to someone else. He had eating support groups for his patients. He also said that carbs were the cause of 90% of heart/diabetes problems. He would rather patients cut carbs than any other intervention.

He was ahead of the curve then. I'm sure every pro-pharma poster would say he was a hack, but he was really well known. /shrug/ He must be stupid, right? Sigh.

Medical interventions are incredible successful in handling cases of trauma. As in: fix or die moments. For chronic health problems, all it does is drag out the illness using pharmaceutical bandaids, which in turn cause other health problems. Which need more drugs. Which cause more problems. Lather rinse repeat.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,132 times
My hubby has been an adherent of polypharmacy for quite a few years. When he quit taking statins, his cholesterol went down. When he reduced the dose of his BP medication, his BP went down. Last week, he ran out of the medication that's supposed to make him urinate less at night, and now he's urinating less at night. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine