Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, not all cancers are curable.

That does not mean laetrile works. It does not. That, and the fact that it is dangerous and can kill people by causing cyanide poisoning, is the reason it is not approved by the FDA. It is irresponsible to encourage people to use it, even if this is the alt med forum.
How many people died from laetrile before the FDA banned the substance?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:15 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How many people died from laetrile before the FDA banned the substance?

How many does it have to be before you believe it is dangerous?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
How many does it have to be before you believe it is dangerous?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
I need proof from the CDC and FDA that there were deaths directly attributed to laetrile. You know, proof? Evidence?

I don't see any here. And it was banned. Huh.

But there is proof that prescription drugs kill people every day. 100,000+ every year, that have been properly prescribed and taken. That's 273 people every DAY.

Again, how many deaths did laetrile cause?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Barrett is a psychiatrist, not a dietitian. He has no business assessing supplements. You always want experts, right? He isn't one.

Again, how many deaths were caused by laetrile before the FDA deemed it so dangerous that it was banned?

ADD: And as I far as I can tell he was never even board certified as a psychiatrist.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:47 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Quack is funded by pharma, I don't believe all they report.
Your statement is demonstrably false. (Big surprise.)

From the website:

Many people wonder whether Quackwatch or my activities are a "front" for the American Medical Association, the pharmaceutical industry, the "medical establishment," or whomever else they might not like. Nearly every week I get e-mails accusing me of this—and worse. Quite frankly, the idea is preposterous.

o Neither I nor any authors of articles on this site have any conflicts of interest.

o I have no financial tie to any commercial or industrial organization.

o My viewpoints are not for hire. Even if they were, none of my imaginary funders would actually have a reason to hire me.

o Standard medicine and "alternative medicine" do not actually compete for patient dollars. Well-designed studies have shown that most "alternative" methods are used in addition to—rather than instead of—standard methods.

o The total cost of operating our many Web sites is approximately $7,000 per year. If donations and other income fall below what is needed, the rest comes out of my pocket.

Who Funds Quackwatch>

Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your statement is demonstrably false. (Big surprise.)

From the website:

Many people wonder whether Quackwatch or my activities are a "front" for the American Medical Association, the pharmaceutical industry, the "medical establishment," or whomever else they might not like. Nearly every week I get e-mails accusing me of this—and worse. Quite frankly, the idea is preposterous.

o Neither I nor any authors of articles on this site have any conflicts of interest.

o I have no financial tie to any commercial or industrial organization.

o My viewpoints are not for hire. Even if they were, none of my imaginary funders would actually have a reason to hire me.

o Standard medicine and "alternative medicine" do not actually compete for patient dollars. Well-designed studies have shown that most "alternative" methods are used in addition to—rather than instead of—standard methods.

o The total cost of operating our many Web sites is approximately $7,000 per year. If donations and other income fall below what is needed, the rest comes out of my pocket.

Who Funds Quackwatch>
Quackwatch is ANTI alternative healing. This is the Alt Med group right?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-24-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Laetrile is not a dead issue. I just have to trust that what I'm doing for myself with my "seeds" keeps me from cancers.

Laetrile From Apricot Seeds: The Cancer Cure Suppressed by Big Pharma

A friend is now in maybe 3 yrs of clinical trials with cancer drugs, which ones I have no idea and we don't discuss it but she seems to be doing well. She also takes Grape Seed Extract, so her immune system is strong and healthy. Hope she continues.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:14 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
Quote:
Quack is funded by pharma, I don't believe all they report.

who funds you???

Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Most people die from the chemo, not the cancer.
Quote:
Well, as it was said years ago, if the cancer doesn't kill you the chemo will.
Bull crap.

People die from the cancer because the chemo has stopped working and the cancer has mutated to the point of being resistant the chemo drugs.

Ask me how I know...

FOLFOX was working beautifully for a year. Then it stopped working and my CEA numbers began to climb back up and three new tumors popped up. I've now switched to a new chemo regime and I am crossing my fingers that it works to shrink them so I can get surgery.

I take the supposed 'cures' that my husband and daughter find on the net along with the chemo. Hasn't done a damned thing for me.

The chemo will not kill me, the cancer that is becoming resistant Will.

Before spreading such blatant lies, you really should have first hand experience and not just 'stories' from others. Get the facts from your relatives and look at and read all their medical reports. It will fill binders but the answers are there if you so choose to actually dig and learn.

Telling people that chemo kills is a HUGE injustice and a Major slap in the face to those of us that are currently going through chemo. It is entirely Insulting to those of us battling the disease.

There are people that are sensitive and have bad reactions to some of the chemo drugs, that is why we are monitored closely when switching to a new regime or are just starting our journey.

Chemo rarely cures active cancers but it does happen. Chemo is mostly used to shrink tumors so that they can be operated on. Maintenance chemo is alighter weight version that helps keep the cancer from growing and is not nearly as toxic on the body. Strong chemos are for those that need it.

There are many different types of chemo for the many different types of cancer.

These are facts that I NEVER wanted to learn about but have been put into the position that I have to learn about through my own research.

Please do not insult us, going through this fight, further with this nonsense.

I used to believe that doing both supplemental and chemo would get me through this and come out cancer free. Nope, didn't happen.

Would I ever trust just going the supplement/apricot seed/THC (insert your particular miracle cure here) route?

Hell to the No!

I would be dead today if I had.

Are my side effects more manageable due to these supplements? Yes, so they do have a place in the treatment circle.

Just please stop with the fear mongering unless you personally can attest to the facts you are spouting. When I say personally I mean if YOUR cancer was cured doing these things.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:21 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,487,302 times
Quote:
Laetrile is not a dead issue. I just have to trust that what I'm doing for myself with my "seeds" keeps me from cancers.

Laetrile From Apricot Seeds: The Cancer Cure Suppressed by Big Pharma

A friend is now in maybe 3 yrs of clinical trials with cancer drugs, which ones I have no idea and we don't discuss it but she seems to be doing well. She also takes Grape Seed Extract, so her immune system is strong and healthy. Hope she continues.
Alternative trials??? since as you mention upthread, this is the Alternative Medicine forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine