Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
I love to research alternative health supplements, natural cures, super foods, etc. But the more I research, the more overwhelmed I feel. There are probably at least a thousand of these that are recommended to eat or take every day. How can we keep track of them all, let alone have time in a day to take them all? Every single day I learn of another one. If I were to take everything they say, my days would be spent doing nothing but that and I would be in debt, as most of it is expensive. How do you decide what to try? Do you just rotate through a few each day?
I totally get what you are saying. It was exhausting for me to try to figure out what I should be taking and eating, and too often I felt worse after trying some new supplement or "power food."

I finally gave up, and in desperation, went to a local Quantum Energetics practitioner. She told me that everyone's body is different, so what works for one person might be unhelpful or actually harmful for another. She also told me that most supplements are useless or harmful, due to poor quality ingredients or bad manufacturing processes. She uses applied kinesiology to see what my body wants. I'm now avoiding some foods and I'm taking a few supplements: CBD Oil, a digestive enzyme, a women's formula containing Wild Yam, and coconut lipids. With the change in diet and the supplements, I feel better than I've felt in years, my energy is up, sleep is better, and I've gone down at least two clothing sizes.

But to reiterate what my practitioner said, everyone is different. For example, she said some people shouldn't be eating dairy, but my body says it's fine for me. Same with coffee and a whole bunch of other foods.

My feeling is at least half the battle is getting your eating right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:58 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
I love to research alternative health supplements, natural cures, super foods, etc. But the more I research, the more overwhelmed I feel. There are probably at least a thousand of these that are recommended to eat or take every day. How can we keep track of them all, let alone have time in a day to take them all? Every single day I learn of another one. If I were to take everything they say, my days would be spent doing nothing but that and I would be in debt, as most of it is expensive. How do you decide what to try? Do you just rotate through a few each day?
You sound like a motivated self-learner. If so, my suggestion is to continue what you are doing since you are healthy, BUT start with some good nutrition textbooks so that you will have a better understanding of what the body needs and why. You may find that you don't need supplements, or that you want to adjust your diet, take specific supplements or do nothing different at all.

Without this information, blindly taking random supplements could be a colossal waste of time and money and/or have adverse effects, some of which may be immediately apparent or may manifest later after long term use.

Keep in mind: just because something is good for you doesn't mean that more is better. Depending on what it is, too much can result in adverse effects, interactions and counter effects.

These textbooks are examples of good ones to start:

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (beginner)
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Nutrition-Metabolism-Sareen-Gropper-ebook/dp/B01NAJVAWR/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&me=&linkCode=sl1&ta g=masterjohn-20&linkId=b739dae98c0c82b68f2484ccfb8a9114

Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Nutrit...363269d606e674

Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Oh for sure! I try to always buy organic, and from farmers markets. I really wish I could afford one of those fancy water filters, I even heard bottled water has flouride in it, so you can't escape it unless you have a reverse osmosis machine and all those things cost at least a few hundred dollars.
Well there is naturally occurring fluoride which can't be avoided but it's the poison that is added in the drums and bags from now mostly coming from China where all the chemical wastes are more than the U.S. now.

We do need some minerals in our waters, I'm on the fence with R.O. which is basically distilled. Flat...

Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
There are websites with programs to filter out suspect reviews on sites like Amazon and give you the "new" star rating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM

401 posts, read 319,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I totally get what you are saying. It was exhausting for me to try to figure out what I should be taking and eating, and too often I felt worse after trying some new supplement or "power food."

I finally gave up, and in desperation, went to a local Quantum Energetics practitioner. She told me that everyone's body is different, so what works for one person might be unhelpful or actually harmful for another. She also told me that most supplements are useless or harmful, due to poor quality ingredients or bad manufacturing processes. She uses applied kinesiology to see what my body wants. I'm now avoiding some foods and I'm taking a few supplements: CBD Oil, a digestive enzyme, a women's formula containing Wild Yam, and coconut lipids. With the change in diet and the supplements, I feel better than I've felt in years, my energy is up, sleep is better, and I've gone down at least two clothing sizes.

But to reiterate what my practitioner said, everyone is different. For example, she said some people shouldn't be eating dairy, but my body says it's fine for me. Same with coffee and a whole bunch of other foods.

My feeling is at least half the battle is getting your eating right.
That would be a good idea, to go to someone like that. I have always been into those alternative health modalities. I also agree it's wise to listen to your body. I have never paid much attention though, since I rarely ever have reactions from food I eat, I feel like I have an iron stomach and can handle anything, probably from growing up eating food that was left out on the stove for half the night, lol

Old 07-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What do you eat? The best way to get vitamins and minerals is through food. If you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables you do not even need a multivitamin. If there are food groups you dislike or avoid, then the multi might be a good idea. Choose one that has the USP label, indicating the contents have been verified by an independent lab. If you are concerned about a specific deficiency then talk to your doctor about getting tested for it, such as vitamin D.

Herbal supplements are not regulated, so you never know what you are getting when you buy one in the US. They may or may not contain what the label says is in the package, and there may be ingredients in them that are not disclosed on the label.

The Linus Pauling Institute is a good source for information on micronutrients.

| Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University
I eat pretty good, I think...like most people I do go to restaurants when I am out with people but when I'm home I eat mostly organic food. I go through phases, sometimes I get on a salad kick (kale, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, ground flaxseed and chia seeds, but then I admit I like the creamy dressings, lol), I NEVER eat white bread, I usually eat brown rice, I always buy grass fed beef, eggs, etc. I NEVER drink soda, nothing but tea and water. I do daily herbal infusions using tonic herbs which have greatly improved my health (they take the place of supplements that are mostly made of crap anyway). Every day I take some of the things I am talking about, they vary and change a lot though, currently I am taking iodine, an oxygen & mineral booster, Calendula liquid supplement, Diatomaceous Earth, and chlorophyll.

Aside from diet, I have very little stress in my life (no kids, purposely unemployed for the time being) so I get enough sleep and rarely get sick. I also do Earthing most days, and jump on a rebounder. I have switched to all natural ingredient products such as shampoo, lotion, deodorant, etc.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well there is naturally occurring fluoride which can't be avoided but it's the poison that is added in the drums and bags from now mostly coming from China where all the chemical wastes are more than the U.S. now.

We do need some minerals in our waters, I'm on the fence with R.O. which is basically distilled. Flat...
I've read that if you drink distilled or RO water that you can add some Himalayan pink salt to it, this isn't like table salt so it's good for you and adds minerals to water.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:30 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I've read that if you drink distilled or RO water that you can add some Himalayan pink salt to it, this isn't like table salt so it's good for you and adds minerals to water.
Seems pretty pointless (and, BTW expensive) to filter everything out of the water just to start adding it back in again. FYI RO filtered water is NOT the same as distilled water. RO does contain micronutrients, just low amounts of them. If you are concerned about your water quality get it analyzed. Once you know what's actually in it, you can filter out what you don't want.

I feel that people can get so focused on preventing every single possible health problem that they lose sight of the reality of living. No one gets out alive or lives forever. Personally I don't have any interest in endless survival. What's the point of that? Bragging rights? Bad things happen no matter what we do. There are health issues that are simply not predicable or preventable no matter what diet you choose. My thinking about this has been influenced by watching immediate relatives pass from uncommon fatal illnesses (ALS, a rare bone marrow defect, congenital heart defect). Like you OP my overall health is pretty good for my age. Must be doing something right (or not doing something wrong ).

I guess I start with the KNOWN bad stuff like smoking, alcohol, drug use, leaping out of functional airplanes and some other idiotic recreational choices, subjecting myself to endless worry and anxiety over every possible problem, and focusing on the KNOWN good stuff like eating simply and moderately, and avoiding that endless worry or anxiety about the unknown, the statistical outliers, the gloom and doom view of the world, and having routine health monitoring done. If deficiencies or specific health concerns crop up I can start focusing or fine tuning what I normally do.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-23-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
With the quality of drinking water nowadays, I would rather have some of the minerals removed from RO water then consume all of the bad stuff would not be taken our otherwise. You can (and I do) supplement magnesium and the calcium I get plenty from the foods I eat.

IMO, this article is BS. What would they have us drink, tap water? Flint Michigan anyone?

World Health Organization Issues Reverse Osmosis Water Warning

I've been drinking RO water for many years without any ill effects.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:47 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
With the quality of drinking water nowadays, I would rather have some of the minerals removed from RO water then consume all of the bad stuff would not be taken our otherwise. You can (and I do) supplement magnesium and the calcium I get plenty from the foods I eat.
I started installing RO filters on the kitchen sinks in my houses because of some iron-sensitive pets I kept. As I use well water I always have it analyzed/monitored anyway. I use the RO water for straight drinking because it tastes better, but then I also know what's in my unfiltered water. Starting off with the known quantity means you can make a better decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine