Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM

268 posts, read 226,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many people's lives have changed. Mine changed drastically as arthritis advanced and a hip replacement messed my body. I exercised all my life and at 80 I use a walker.

So many older people and there are many of us, cannot do what we did, say at maybe your age, which I don't know. But everyone ages and some have a lot of joint issues....no matter what their lives were like.

I use supplements and only a few minor meds. And pick and choose wisely for me, and don't buy into everything out there.
I will be 74 this coming winter. I too use a walker because of a bad hip damaged by cancer and radiation. I do get out and walk almost every day. Even if it's for half an hour in the air conditioned stores in town. I also continue to do light work in my gardens and greenhouse. I don't grow vegetables to can anymore. I don't need the walker around the house and property. I just walk slow and limp. If I get pain or soreness I stop and rest. I have gained some weight since that morning when I woke up and could hardly put any weight on my right leg. Before this happened my husband and I walked 1 to 3 miles a day, most days. Staying thin was not a problem. We recently hired a cleaning woman to come in twice a month to do the house work. I just do the cooking and some light dusting now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 PM

268 posts, read 226,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
Yeah I'm so against watching tv that I haven't even had cable for about 15 years, I didn't even own a couch or loveseat until I got a boyfriend and needed somewhere for us to sit together, lol I am as active as I can be. I just want to strive for the best health possible even more than the average person because the average person will probably get either a disease or cancer. I am determined to die of old age, lol
I watch the News every day and like some of the educational TV shows. I'm online a few hours a day most days. However I spend as much time as I can outdoors piddling with my gardens. We drive to town almost every day where I can walk in the air conditioning. We usually need some fresh fruit or vegetables anyway. Or need to pick up a prescription. I can't be on my feet 16 hrs a day like when I was younger. Like before becoming disabled at 71 yrs old. It's not just the average person who gets a disease or cancer. That can happen to anyone. Not all disease is preventable. Not all disease is related to lifestyle. I was always health conscious and never thought I would get something like cancer. Everyone we knew was shocked when I told them.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:46 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
I just went out and bought a Caesar salad, lol not because we were talking about it but because I usually grab one at the gas station by my house! When you mix dressing with vinegar, doesn't it get super watery and strong? I will try the olive oil/lemon juice/mayo/mustard one!
Yes, it does get thinner and it may take you a bit of time for your palate to adjust to something not as "gloppy" as the thick bottled dressings..but in time you will and might even find the bottled dressings are just too thick...but YMMV.

Personally, I really like the flavor of different vinegars and my "go to" dressing is often just olive oil and a vinegar. That lets the salad ingredients really shine through and not be overwhelmed by a heavy dressing...

Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
OP - there is a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You say you are in perfect health, so I would not start taking supplements "just because." And I say this as a person who rotates supplements and has done so for decades. The older I get, the more I realize that herb and supplement companies are out to push their stuff for profits just as the pharmas do. Some things may not help at all, and too much or too many can create a toxic load for your liver.

It is wise to do as other cultures such as the Chinese or Native Americans - they use herbs/supplements for a short time (like traditional medicine) and do NOT use long term or continuously. Use of herbs must be rotated or only as a short course. If you are having specific issues, research accordingly for what to use. An acupuncturist or holistic doctor can help.

The only supplments I use CONTINUOUSLY that I know for a fact help me are

powdered magnesium (can't say enough good about this!)
Powdered Vitamin C
MSM powder
organic ACV
B vitamins

Other than that I rotate through various herbs depending on what I am trying to address. I have tried many that do nothing at all, or actually made me ill. Like I said, one must be careful about not taking too many or too much at once. good luck!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:32 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Just listening to coast to coast radio before I go to sleep, every night, and last night George Noory had Ben Fuchs on about alternative medicine...George claims to take a lot of supplements and I think he's in his 70's, and even admitted that he takes that dread killer apricot kernals...they got talking about Edgar Cayce and how Cayce talked about taking 3 almonds daily to prevent cancers...George then mentioned the apricot kernals and the laetrile connection.

Those old time healers knew a lot I believe...

I didn't start my supplement interest until my early 50's after menopause...that's when things really changed for me.

And thinking if I had known about grape seed ex even before 1995, I could have saved years of allergy testing and otc drugs for allergies...but grape seed ex didn't come into the U.S. until about that time.

And yet as much as I've discussed grape seed ex for allergies and sinus and the info out there, so many continue with their drugs and doctors...their choice...one can just say so much.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-10-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM

401 posts, read 318,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OP - there is a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You say you are in perfect health, so I would not start taking supplements "just because." And I say this as a person who rotates supplements and has done so for decades. The older I get, the more I realize that herb and supplement companies are out to push their stuff for profits just as the pharmas do. Some things may not help at all, and too much or too many can create a toxic load for your liver.

It is wise to do as other cultures such as the Chinese or Native Americans - they use herbs/supplements for a short time (like traditional medicine) and do NOT use long term or continuously. Use of herbs must be rotated or only as a short course. If you are having specific issues, research accordingly for what to use. An acupuncturist or holistic doctor can help.

The only supplments I use CONTINUOUSLY that I know for a fact help me are

powdered magnesium (can't say enough good about this!)
Powdered Vitamin C
MSM powder
organic ACV
B vitamins

Other than that I rotate through various herbs depending on what I am trying to address. I have tried many that do nothing at all, or actually made me ill. Like I said, one must be careful about not taking too many or too much at once. good luck!
Oh yeah I know about supplements, I actually only take a small amount myself. My post was also about other things like super foods, there are actually more of them that I was referring to. Like ACV, chia seeds, honey, flax seed, diatomaceous Earth, Chaga, etc. As for herbs, I don't take them willy nilly, I rotate through the ones that are safe to take every day that are recommended by herbalists for daily nourishment (to take the place of multivitamins).

I'm interested in the powdered magnesium you are praising, magnesium is one of the ones I take every night before bed since it's supposed to help you sleep. I also heard about MSM powder recently but that's about when I realized where do I stop with adding new things to my daily regimen, lol

Old 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM

401 posts, read 318,975 times
Quote:
Just listening to coast to coast radio before I go to sleep, every night, and last night George Noory had Ben Fuchs on about alternative medicine...George claims to take a lot of supplements and I think he's in his 70's, and even admitted that he takes that dread killer apricot kernals...they got talking about Edgar Cayce and how Cayce talked about taking 3 almonds daily to prevent cancers...George then mentioned the apricot kernals and the laetrile connection.

Those old time healers knew a lot I believe...

I didn't start my supplement interest until my early 50's after menopause...that's when things really changed for me.

And thinking if I had known about grape seed ex even before 1995, I could have saved years of allergy testing and otc drugs for allergies...but grape seed ex didn't come into the U.S. until about that time.

And yet as much as I've discussed grape seed ex for allergies and sinus and the info out there, so many continue with their drugs and doctors...their choice...one can just say so much.
I like George Noory. I had never heard of taking apricot kernels, another thing to add to my list, perhaps? lol I love almonds, eat them a lot. I wonder if grape seed extract is good for colds too? (I have one right now)

Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
I like George Noory. I had never heard of taking apricot kernels, another thing to add to my list, perhaps? lol I love almonds, eat them a lot. I wonder if grape seed extract is good for colds too? (I have one right now)
I have NOT had a cold or flu in over 20 yrs. So does that say something?

I don't eat a lot of almonds as they are hard on my teeth but I eat a few now and then. We have a long discussion on the apricot kernals and cancer prevention. Noory is no dummy. I like a lot of what he says and a lot I question, but so much we don't know. I'm not recommending apricot kernals, but amazon has a lot of reviews of those eating 2-3 daily.... I have not gone there as I believe in my grape SEED extract and we were told MAY prevent cancers when I first heard about it in 1995.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:03 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I eat almonds almost every day and more than just 2 or 3. They are low carb, have healthy fats and plenty of calories and I really like the taste. They are also not too expensive. I have been buying the dry roasted variety at my local Sam's club. I get 2.5 lb for about $11.50. Most of the almonds on the market other than the raw contain unhealthy oils. These contain only almonds and salt. They are not as hard to chew than the raw.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
We have a long discussion on the apricot kernals and cancer prevention. Noory is no dummy. I like a lot of what he says and a lot I question, but so much we don't know. I'm not recommending apricot kernals, but amazon has a lot of reviews of those eating 2-3 daily....
I had been eating 10 apricot kernels per day...ordered online from a reputable supplier...for six years, when I was diagnosed with my second cancer. I stopped taking them shortly after that because they clearly were not doing anything for me and I was just throwing money away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine