Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 PM

410 posts, read 327,109 times

Advertisements

I love to research alternative health supplements, natural cures, super foods, etc. But the more I research, the more overwhelmed I feel. There are probably at least a thousand of these that are recommended to eat or take every day. How can we keep track of them all, let alone have time in a day to take them all? Every single day I learn of another one. If I were to take everything they say, my days would be spent doing nothing but that and I would be in debt, as most of it is expensive. How do you decide what to try? Do you just rotate through a few each day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:36 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,923,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
I love to research alternative health supplements, natural cures, super foods, etc. But the more I research, the more overwhelmed I feel. There are probably at least a thousand of these that are recommended to eat or take every day. How can we keep track of them all, let alone have time in a day to take them all? Every single day I learn of another one. If I were to take everything they say, my days would be spent doing nothing but that and I would be in debt, as most of it is expensive. How do you decide what to try? Do you just rotate through a few each day?
First of all I'd concentrate on corrections you would like to make in your health.

Anything really bother you a lot, that's where I would go first.

Do you get colds/flu then I would address immune system.

I HAD allergies and sinus issues and that was my big issue and glad I found what worked.

I didn't start with supps until my early 50's which was after menopause.

Some take a lot of drugs and want to get off them, so look for alternatives to those drugs. They are out there...I really believe that.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
First of all I'd concentrate on corrections you would like to make in your health.

Anything really bother you a lot, that's where I would go first.

Do you get colds/flu then I would address immune system.

I HAD allergies and sinus issues and that was my big issue and glad I found what worked.

I didn't start with supps until my early 50's which was after menopause.

Some take a lot of drugs and want to get off them, so look for alternatives to those drugs. They are out there...I really believe that.
I don't have any health issues nor am I on any drugs, I just want to STAY healthy so I want to take everything so I can prevent any issues from happening.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:06 PM

8,274 posts, read 3,478,003 times
You can easily spend a fortune on vitamins and supplements, and it's really hard to know which you need.

I was seeing a naturopath/MD and he had me spending hundreds a month on supplement pills, and thousands on intravenous supplements. I was working full time then, and could barely afford it.

Now I'm mostly retired, and if I bought all those supplements I couldn't pay my rent. So I don't usually take any now. When I was spending hundreds and thousands of dollars, nothing helped anyway.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You can easily spend a fortune on vitamins and supplements, and it's really hard to know which you need.

I was seeing a naturopath/MD and he had me spending hundreds a month on supplement pills, and thousands on intravenous supplements. I was working full time then, and could barely afford it.

Now I'm mostly retired, and if I bought all those supplements I couldn't pay my rent. So I don't usually take any now. When I was spending hundreds and thousands of dollars, nothing helped anyway.
That is too bad! I feel like a lot of things don't help either, but I must be doing something that is working because I'm almost 46 and in perfect health, so I want to keep things up because if I stop, that is probably when I will actually notice I need something.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I don't have any health issues nor am I on any drugs, I just want to STAY healthy so I want to take everything so I can prevent any issues from happening.
Well, then with saying that and what I know from taking grape seed ex for 23 yrs and I'm very healthy but aging and deal with arthritis, I would say a good immune system strengthener like Grape Seed Ex. I don't know if you've read my Grape Seed Ex posts, but I have many on Alt Med here. And it's good to think it "may" prevent cancer(s).

Or and I'm not taking one now, a good quality multi vitamin. I took a multi for many years and don't know if it did anything or not. I take other supps so eliminated a multi a few yrs ago. Rainbow Light has a good multi for women that I took for some time.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Well, then with saying that and what I know from taking grape seed ex for 23 yrs and I'm very healthy but aging and deal with arthritis, I would say a good immune system strengthener like Grape Seed Ex. I don't know if you've read my Grape Seed Ex posts, but I have many on Alt Med here. And it's good to think it "may" prevent cancer(s).

Or and I'm not taking one now, a good quality multi vitamin. I took a multi for many years and don't know if it did anything or not. I take other supps so eliminated a multi a few yrs ago. Rainbow Light has a good multi for women that I took for some time.
I have heard of grape seed extract but have never taken it, there are just too many things out there! As for multivitamins, I have found enough research saying they aren't good for you, a good replacement is to take herbal infusions with tonic herbs, and once I started doing that I REALLY noticed a difference in a few ways. I really want to get my vitamins and nutrients from food as much as possible.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I have heard of grape seed extract but have never taken it, there are just too many things out there! As for multivitamins, I have found enough research saying they aren't good for you, a good replacement is to take herbal infusions with tonic herbs, and once I started doing that I REALLY noticed a difference in a few ways. I really want to get my vitamins and nutrients from food as much as possible.
Well, then eat well and don't bother with supplements. You asked though. And I'm saying what I know now at my later age. Wait and start supplementing in 10 yrs or so.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Well, then eat well and don't bother with supplements. You asked though. And I'm saying what I know now at my later age. Wait and start supplementing in 10 yrs or so.
I guess I should have clarified I didn't mean supplements as in multivitamins, I meant things like apple cider vinegar, iodine, Chinese medicine (mushrooms, ginseng, etc.), green foods like spirulina etc.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:37 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,928,945 times
You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on supplements. You only need to take what you actually need. I spend $50 every few months on supplements and I am an older person. The brands I buy may be more expensive but I compensate for that by getting them cheaper online. They were all recommended by doctors whom I trust and they are reputable brands. Yes, some MD's do know about supplements.

Doctors can test you for deficiencies. You may have to look up the correct form of the supplement online because most doctors don't know. They can't know everything.

Don't fall for the advertising sites. Just find out what you need to take and take it. Read about possible negative effects from taking too much--and use your brain to determine which sites are trying to sell you something and which sites are actually neutral and telling the truth. Do a lot of research, don't be lazy about this. Be skeptical.

Most people probably could use a well balanced multi even though the studies say you don't. It's because most people don't eat perfect diets. A lot of people drink soda and that depletes certain nutrients. People drink too much caffeine, depleting calcium and magnesium. We take prescription medications that sometimes deplete certain nutrients. Our food supply isn't that great unless we are eating all organic and perfectly balanced without any artificial additives. A multivitamin from a reputable company usually won't harm you and it can help you.

Older people need zinc--and I had a dr give me zinc for immunity when I had a long term illness many years ago. Also, vitamin B12 for older people. Fish oil is good for inflammation despite any "studies" that say it isn't. Look it up for yourself. I got off cortisone shots by taking fish oil and the dr said it was because my pain was from inflammation. Most people are deficient in vitamin D3. Most people are deficient in magnesium and we've had several threads on the best forms of magnesium to take--helps with cramps, nerves, sleep, etc.

Only take what you need. Sometimes you can find a decent nutritionist to help you or a doctor who is well informed and will test you and recommend some supplements if you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine