Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 PM

401 posts, read 318,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Seems pretty pointless (and, BTW expensive) to filter everything out of the water just to start adding it back in again. FYI RO filtered water is NOT the same as distilled water. RO does contain micronutrients, just low amounts of them. If you are concerned about your water quality get it analyzed. Once you know what's actually in it, you can filter out what you don't want.
I just want the flouride out, and all the chemical crap that ends up in water (even bottled water). They have done studies showing all the crap that gets bottled and sold as pure.

Quote:
I feel that people can get so focused on preventing every single possible health problem that they lose sight of the reality of living. No one gets out alive or lives forever. Personally I don't have any interest in endless survival. What's the point of that? Bragging rights? Bad things happen no matter what we do. There are health issues that are simply not predicable or preventable no matter what diet you choose. My thinking about this has been influenced by watching immediate relatives pass from uncommon fatal illnesses (ALS, a rare bone marrow defect, congenital heart defect). Like you OP my overall health is pretty good for my age. Must be doing something right (or not doing something wrong ).
I know we can't avoid death, my goal is just to live long enough to enjoy all the things I love. I got a late start in life with EVERYTHING (relationships, hobbies, etc.) and now I feel like I need 5 of me just to do everything I want to do. So I definitely want to be healthy enough to enjoy my hobbies when I am in my 80's even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
With the quality of drinking water nowadays, I would rather have some of the minerals removed from RO water then consume all of the bad stuff would not be taken our otherwise. You can (and I do) supplement magnesium and the calcium I get plenty from the foods I eat.

IMO, this article is BS. What would they have us drink, tap water? Flint Michigan anyone?

World Health Organization Issues Reverse Osmosis Water Warning

I've been drinking RO water for many years without any ill effects.
Yeah I agree, I never trust tap water, barely trust bottled water that says its pure. I think there are only a few companies that sell completely pure water, I heard spring water was the best option if you don't have a filter at home.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
Yeah I agree, I never trust tap water, barely trust bottled water that says its pure. I think there are only a few companies that sell completely pure water, I heard spring water was the best option if you don't have a filter at home.
"Spring" water still has thousands of possible sources that all contain minerals, other elements, organics, even harmless microorganisms and who knows what else. It is still susceptible to fluctuations in quality (by season and by natural events at the source) and is also affected by the bottling process. Obviously no one wants the municipal treatment chemicals or industrial contaminants, but just because it has a "natural" source doesn't mean it's that much better even if it passes all sorts of quality standards. Once again you have to decide whether you trust the content and any filtering info the company provides. Again, the purest form of water is distilled, but it does not contain the traces of nutrients that are beneficial.

BTW, many stores offer bulk RO filtered water. If no one locally does, you might check with a tropical fish store. They often have it. If you really plan to use RO for everything other than washing, an RO filter on one sink would save you $.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-23-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 AM

268 posts, read 226,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
That is too bad! I feel like a lot of things don't help either, but I must be doing something that is working because I'm almost 46 and in perfect health, so I want to keep things up because if I stop, that is probably when I will actually notice I need something.
There are several things you can do other than spend money on treatments and healings that don't work. Keep a normal weight and exercise as much as possible. The worst thing anyone can do is allow themselves to become obese and spend hours and hours at desk at work, come home and eat a less than ideal meal, then get online or in front of a TV until bedtime. Too many people do just that my old NP told me. I can see taking a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement to cover all bases. But some people are taking so many supplements of all kinds I don't see how they have time to get out and walk a few miles a day.

One of my neighbors leaves the house once a week to go grocery shopping. Once in a blue moon she walks out into her yard and looks at her flowers that are auto-watered in pots. She pays a woman to clean her house twice a month. Her husband does most of the cooking or they eat out. Her entire day is spent watching TV. I would lose my sanity.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
There are several things you can do other than spend money on treatments and healings that don't work. Keep a normal weight and exercise as much as possible. The worst thing anyone can do is allow themselves to become obese and spend hours and hours at desk at work, come home and eat a less than ideal meal, then get online or in front of a TV until bedtime. Too many people do just that my old NP told me. I can see taking a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement to cover all bases. But some people are taking so many supplements of all kinds I don't see how they have time to get out and walk a few miles a day.

One of my neighbors leaves the house once a week to go grocery shopping. Once in a blue moon she walks out into her yard and looks at her flowers that are auto-watered in pots. She pays a woman to clean her house twice a month. Her husband does most of the cooking or they eat out. Her entire day is spent watching TV. I would lose my sanity.

Many people's lives have changed. Mine changed drastically as arthritis advanced and a hip replacement messed my body. I exercised all my life and at 80 I use a walker.

So many older people and there are many of us, cannot do what we did, say at maybe your age, which I don't know. But everyone ages and some have a lot of joint issues....no matter what their lives were like.

I use supplements and only a few minor meds. And pick and choose wisely for me, and don't buy into everything out there.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post

Yeah I'm so against watching tv that I haven't even had cable for about 15 years, I didn't even own a couch or loveseat until I got a boyfriend and needed somewhere for us to sit together, lol I am as active as I can be. I just want to strive for the best health possible even more than the average person because the average person will probably get either a disease or cancer. I am determined to die of old age, lol

Old 08-08-2018, 05:16 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Oh gosh, OP, I've been exactly where you are. I am a big reader of health/herb/alternative health books and articles.

After a number of years of gobbling a bunch of pills, capsules and supplements, I finally decided that I was going to invest my hard-earned bucks into buying and preparing the very best quality foods I could afford.

Then I read a bunch of books on nutrition and various ways of eating to devise a life-long way of eating suitable for me and my food wants and desires.

Long story short, my way of eating is Flexitarian -- little animal protein and heavy on vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and some favorite grains such as quinoa, brown rice and such.

Big bowls of delicious salads with lots of ingredients.

As a result, I do have vibrant good health (except for pesky high blood pressure which everyone in my immediate family has. My hbp is under control with meds).

My weight stays constant and I've a lot of energy.

With great food, a balanced diet and adequate exercise and meditation/yoga for stress relief and flexibility, I think most everyone could enjoy good health without scads of supplements.

YMMV but this has been my live and learn lesson.

Oh, and one other thing...I've learned to listen to my body. When I absolutely crave/must have a hamburger, it means I'm likely low on the B vitamins, so I start taking a B-100 complex -- or have a big juicy hamburger. I have one-two a year without guilt. Use really good beef.

It's nice being a Flexitarian.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh gosh, OP, I've been exactly where you are. I am a big reader of health/herb/alternative health books and articles.

After a number of years of gobbling a bunch of pills, capsules and supplements, I finally decided that I was going to invest my hard-earned bucks into buying and preparing the very best quality foods I could afford.

Then I read a bunch of books on nutrition and various ways of eating to devise a life-long way of eating suitable for me and my food wants and desires.

Long story short, my way of eating is Flexitarian -- little animal protein and heavy on vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and some favorite grains such as quinoa, brown rice and such.

Big bowls of delicious salads with lots of ingredients.

As a result, I do have vibrant good health (except for pesky high blood pressure which everyone in my immediate family has. My hbp is under control with meds).

My weight stays constant and I've a lot of energy.

With great food, a balanced diet and adequate exercise and meditation/yoga for stress relief and flexibility, I think most everyone could enjoy good health without scads of supplements.

YMMV but this has been my live and learn lesson.

Oh, and one other thing...I've learned to listen to my body. When I absolutely crave/must have a hamburger, it means I'm likely low on the B vitamins, so I start taking a B-100 complex -- or have a big juicy hamburger. I have one-two a year without guilt. Use really good beef.

It's nice being a Flexitarian.
I have never heard the term "flexitarian" but I like what I am hearing so far! I crave burgers every few weeks so I'll have to work on that for sure. And i love salads but my problem is I can eat more of them if I use Ranch or Caesar dressing which defeats the purpose, I know, lol I keep wanting to get more into yoga but have noticed in positions with my head lower than my body, my blood all rushes to my head and makes me feel wierd, I don't like that. So I only sometimes do yoga positions standing up.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Oh yes, Caesar and Ranch dressings are yummy. I make a wicked good Caesar..

When I use bottled dressings, I cut them with an equal amount of vinegar (Red Wine or Apple Cider).

That way, still get much of the flavor, but only half the calories. Try olive oil/fresh lemon juice/a small dab of mustard/a small dab of mayo mixed together and some good herbs...quite satisfying...

Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh yes, Caesar and Ranch dressings are yummy. I make a wicked good Caesar..

When I use bottled dressings, I cut them with an equal amount of vinegar (Red Wine or Apple Cider).

That way, still get much of the flavor, but only half the calories. Try olive oil/fresh lemon juice/a small dab of mustard/a small dab of mayo mixed together and some good herbs...quite satisfying...
I just went out and bought a Caesar salad, lol not because we were talking about it but because I usually grab one at the gas station by my house! When you mix dressing with vinegar, doesn't it get super watery and strong? I will try the olive oil/lemon juice/mayo/mustard one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine