Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:06 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Again, why it is important to READ the information you post and not just the title....from the first paragraph of the link you just posted.

"Dr. James Watson has recently suggested that antioxidants cause cancer and interfere with its treatment. James Watson is among the most renowned of living scientists. "

Moderator cut: calling a type of alt.med "nonsense" in the alt.med forum

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-17-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
BD: This is Alt Med forum and all Alt information is considered. Otherwise everyone dealing with cancers would be cutting/burning/drugging. Thanks, but no thanks.

I go with this info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728696/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-17-2018 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 03:59 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,385 times
Quote:
BD: This is Alt Med forum and all Alt information is considered. Otherwise everyone dealing with cancers would be cutting/burning/drugging. Thanks, but no thanks.

I go with this info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728696/
From the last paragraph, after they mention the need to study what doses would be effective, they go on to say, "These studies would also help establish any toxicity associated with long-term administration of GSE. Caution is also needed in the use of GSE and any other given agent in clinical settings until all of their adverse effects, even as a chemopreventive agent, are evaluated and established comprehensively."

Also, the title of the article is footnoted. That is worth a read as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
From the last paragraph, after they mention the need to study what doses would be effective, they go on to say, "These studies would also help establish any toxicity associated with long-term administration of GSE. Caution is also needed in the use of GSE and any other given agent in clinical settings until all of their adverse effects, even as a chemopreventive agent, are evaluated and established comprehensively."

There are NO hard guarantees to Anything, any so called cures used. For me, this is what I feel is right for my body and so it is. There are no guarantees period and any doc or healer that makes guarantees is plain foolish.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:10 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:

Redirect: if you ingest something in order to affect or prevent some condition, you are using a DRUG!!! Doesn't matter what form it happens to be in, like an antioxidant. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Redirect: if you ingest something in order to affect or prevent some condition, you are using a DRUG!!! Doesn't matter what form it happens to be in, like an antioxidant. Why is this so difficult to understand?

This bears repeating. There's this imaginary idea that drugs are only made in a lab. If its a bioactive molecule affecting or preventing a pathological condition - its a drug, period, whether from natural or synthetic sources. There's also the confused idea that things like GSE, or THC or CBD aren't chemicals. They are. They are not fairy dust, they are molecules or collections of molecules, i.e. chemicals. Finally, there is this entirely unfounded assumption that natural is good and synthetic is bad. Of course, tetrodotoxin, tobacco, arsenic, mercury, botulinum, asbestos, anthrax, many fungi, phytohaemagluttinin in red kidney beans when uncooked etc etc etc are all natural, and can all kill you in one way or another. Ebola is natural too. The list is very, very long.

These 3 dogmatic confusions are the source of endless nonsense. Your body does not know the difference between something produced in a lab or something grown naturally. The thing is either toxic at the doses you take it or it is not. That depends on what the thing does in your body - whether there is a receptor or protein or ion channel etc that it binds to or blocks or activates. That natural molecule can kill you while the synthetic molecule passes straight through. There is no hard and fast rule beforehand of predicting what something will do. Yet there are whole - usually unspoken - "health philosophies" based on this made up notion.

This is not a dig at alternative medicine per se. Again, one can't tell beforehand whether that GSE or that cranberry juice will affect this or that condition. You actually have to go and (honestly) find out.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:01 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:

Yep, all natural remedies are toxic at some level, and long-term use is never recommended by responsible users and practitoners for that and other reasons.

Also from the article
Taking a cue from the epidemiological data indicating that dietary habits influence cancer risk, considerable scientific interest has been generated in developing various preventive measures based on diet, especially those involving fruits and vegetables (8–10). Fruits and vegetables, belonging to plant kingdom, represent a vast source of phytochemicals of varied chemical structure; many of them have already been studied extensively for their potential anticancer or chemopreventive efficacy (10). As such, interventions based on fruits and vegetables are not only “more natural” in lowering cancer risk without posing “any side effects” but also in maintaining good general health based on the fact that they are major sources of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

You don't get all those benefits from a supplement. Further, THOUSANDS of foods contain antioxidants. Anyone on a reasonably well-balanced diet is getting lots of antioxidants, and great variety, with little, if any, risk of consuming too much.

Quote:

Funded by the wine and supplement industries which make billions now from a waste product. Huge conflict of interest.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
There are NO hard guarantees to Anything, any so called cures used. For me, this is what I feel is right for my body and so it is. There are no guarantees period and any doc or healer that makes guarantees is plain foolish.

Based on what you've stated on these forums about your diet, lifestyle and family, you don't have cancer risk factors. It's easy to pick out one thing you take and claim it has prevented cancer when you probably are not even predisposed.

I don't think anyone cares what you take or believe, but when you tell others all they have to do is take GSE to prevent cancer, or that so-and-so wouldn't have died if only they had taken it, people are going to react.

For all you or anyone else knows, your long-term use of GSE may be contributing to some of your health issues. These things do tend to cause adverse or opposite effects. Food for thought.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:16 AM

I talk mostly about the wonderful Grape, a food, is it a drug? Are foods drugs?

I also just finished some organic grapes which had NO seeds and a friend found some Concords at our coop market with SEEDS and I enjoyed the Hail out of them and swallowed the SEEDs. But I don't sit around and eat labs of grapes daily. So for me the capsule does a great job in my life.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Based on what you've stated on these forums about your diet, lifestyle and family, you don't have cancer risk factors. It's easy to pick out one thing you take and claim it has prevented cancer when you probably are not even predisposed.

I don't think anyone cares what you take or believe, but when you tell others all they have to do is take GSE to prevent cancer, or that so-and-so wouldn't have died if only they had taken it, people are going to react.

For all you or anyone else knows, your long-term use of GSE may be contributing to some of your health issues. These things do tend to cause adverse or opposite effects. Food for thought.
And I don't tell anyone to take anything, I talk about what I take for Prevention and cancer is right in there and the main reason I started on this powerful antioxidant almost 24 yrs ago. And who knows maybe if so many would take this antioxidant a lot of cancers would be prevented...we'll never know. So many people lose their lives to this dread disease.

Don't believe in MAYBE a prevention, then don't read my info, skip over, ignore....

Please ignore my information if it's so offensive, why keep arguing what I'm posting. It's the Alt Med group and we're free to post what we choose.

I "talk up" alt medicine and prevention and the pharma group talks up drugs and invasive works once the diseases are plaguing people. I don't know a soul walking this earth who doesn't want to Prevent a dread health issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-18-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine