Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,901 times

Advertisements

I was Rolfed back in the mid ‘70’s. I got into because a roommate of mine who had given up his law practice to train as a Rolfer convinced me that I could benefit from it. He was right.

After the 10 sessions and 9 months later, I was ¾ of inch taller and 20 lbs lighter. The biggest change was in my tension – physical and emotional.

After the first session, I said I have to learn how to do it, so I did. After 17 years in Phoenix running a holistic clinic, I moved to a small town in Idaho to practice Rolfing.

It is true Rolfing has evolved over the past 30 years. There are some good Rolfers out there. I always suggest that you call the prospective Rolfer and interview him or her over the phone. If the person feels good, try one session. If you like, go back.

My other recommendation is don’t go to a “gentle Rolfer.” This form of Rolfing is like light massage. Rolfing does not have to be deep or hurt to work. It does need to apply enough pressure to release chronic tension in the soft tissue. If done precisely and slowly the pain turns into pleasure as the body lets go.

In all my years of Rolfing I might have had a couple of people say the pain was what they expected. Enviably, clients say – “I thought this was supposed to hurt.”

I practice in the Inland Northwest, which is the Spokane, WA, Coeur d’Alene, ID area. After all these years, I still love doing Rolfing and see people get results that far exceed their expectations.

Good Luck.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 06-29-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: removed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM

102 posts, read 384,900 times
Hey Owen! I have a friend near Boise I wanted to send you, but she said it was too far. I confess my Idaho geography is not great. Perception of pain is such a subjective thing.. I tell people to expect, at worst, intensity.
There are so many factors, I absolutely agree that you should "interview" any practicioner you want to work with.

Edge

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Default What a session is like

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
. i obviously was asking the question to hear personal responses (isnt that what a forum is about??), if i wanted a generic answer i would've looked it up.
If you were to walk into my office (we would have made an appointment over phone or email) I would have you fill out a form and talk to you about any accidents, surgeries, or other major issues you have. I would be particularly interested in abdominal or joint surgeries, car accidents, and falls (even the on purpose ones).

Some Rolfers work with people fully clothed, but I don't have the knack of that, so I ask folks to show up with briefs, a swim suit, (bikini for gals) or just decent underwear they don't mind being seen in (the office is private).

I'd analyze posture and movement, ask for some knee bends and maybe arm raises, and watch you walk around.

We would talk about what's working, and not, and I would probably explain what I was seeing and what we can do about it.

Then I would have you get on the table (like a massage table) usually face up or on your side, and put a blanket over whatever I'm not working on if you are cold. We work a lot on the area between your ribs and hips, and on the outside of your hip where your leg fits in. In the 10 sessions, your whole body gets some work!

I would use my hands, knuckles, elbows with JUST as much pressure as needed, sometimes asking you to move a little against the pressure (or with it) to open up restrictions in your fascial net. You will notice that your joints & hinges feel looser and more mobile. It's not "squishy" and while I may use a little beeswax or cocoa butter to get a grip on dry skin, it's a very precise, intensive contact. It's very rarely actually painful, because we ARE so precise. That's one of the ways the art/science has improved.

I usually do physical work like that for most of the session, and then have people sit on a bench or even a physio-ball for some more proprioceptive work. It doesn't do as much good to change the hardware, if you don't change the software too! We would work on things like getting you to quit breathing with your shoulders and breathe with your rib cage and core instead.

Other Rolfers may do it differently, but that's how I work.
Some do more movement, some do more table work.

There's various flavors of Structural Integration out there: Rolfing, of course, The Guild, Hellerwork, Aston Patterning, KMI, etc. Just make sure your practicioner is listed with the organization they claim certification by, to be sure you are getting qualified work.

HTH,
Edge

Last edited by edge_gordon; 01-07-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,497 times
Edge- In looking for a rolfer in my area, is there a website you could recommend??

Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Edge- In looking for a rolfer in my area, is there a website you could recommend??
There are three main ones:

This is the Rolf Institute:
The Rolf Institute of Structural Integration

This is "The Guild"
United States Practitioner Directory (http://www.rolfguild.org/usa.html - broken link)

This is a general, voluntary database of people doing that sort of work:
IASI Online - Find Practitioners

HTH,
Edge

Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Dov

1 posts, read 3,562 times
Default To Cosmic Wizard

Cosmic,
Do you know of any rolfers in New York City who you might recommend? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,336 times
Default Gentle Rolfing can be an attitude

I would suggest interviewing and trying a "Gentle Rolfer". Some might be like Owen described and too soft.
But Gentle Rolfing can also mean deap effective Rolfing with a gentle attitude that helps get through the intense moments during rolfing sessions.
There are Rolfers who work faster and hurt more. They can be very effective. But it is also possible to create deep change with a slower gentler approach. I'm not talking painless or wimpy work.
I would suggest a Seeking out Rolfer who is a Rolf Movement Practitioner as well. When you can learn further understanding of your body and holding patterns it can bring more enjoyment to your movement and sports and will help you self maintain.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Having done massage for a number of years, mostly deep tissue type of work, it's always a treat to run across someone who's been rolfed, as I never have to fear if I'm going deep enough. I don't have to say: Let me know if I'm going too deep!

Of those I've known to have been rolfed, a number of them have said they enjoyed the crying more than anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine