Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM

59 posts, read 183,116 times

Advertisements

thinking of moving to ecuador or someplace in latin america.i get 682.00 to live on a month from disability.is it possible to live atleast fairly comfortable on this in ecuador or anywhere in latin america.would be looking for a place a little out of the towns sort of in the country.i can still get around on my own and can take care of myself,just cant stand on my feet real long or walk to far.would like to hear from someone who is there or has spent time there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
It used to be that Ecuador was cheap enough to live on the income that you mention. I am not sure if that is the case now.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
I lived in Amazonian Bolivia for the equivalent of about 150 bucks a month (for 6 months), but that was in the mid-90s. I rented a thatched roof house barely better than a hut for $60 a month that included sporadic electricity in the evenings and running water for about an hour in the morning too! The outhouse was a "self-clean" unit (the sludge at the bottom was alive with critters) and it was rice, beans and fish for dinner every night. I got around on an old motorcycle. Later, I made some friends out in the bush (with no utilities) and lived there for free.

So yea, it's doable, as long as you are willing to live a 3rd world lifestyle (which won't be long anyway if you aren't in the greatest of health, BTW).

I think it's gonna be rough to live a lifestyle comparable to the US on only $600 a month, even in Equador. It's a beautiful country to visit though.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Default re.

well im living off of the 682.00 a month here in the u.s,and thats without food stamps or any other outside help and my lifestyle cant be that much different than a third world country.i live in a 18foot traveltrailer,dont go anywhere cause i cant afford it.the only difference it seems like to me is i have running water and electric all the time.i figure that my standard of living would go up,it couldnt go down to much more than im already at now

Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM

77 posts, read 213,821 times
OK...in Mexico there are nice places, safe places that you can rent an apartment for $300.month. It's true. I recently returned from 5 weeks in San Miguel de Allende, a rather 'upscale' town filled with wealthy gringos and still, there were ads for places for rent for $300/month. Even several for $250. month. I shopped at the markets, and figured I spent $5/day for food, and for bus trips. So, yes, you CAN live in nice places for $682.month. Also true in Panama, where I spent a month, and found the same low rentals, and very low food prices. I even ate out every now and then, but that only cost $3-4. for a decent meal of rice, lentils, salad and a beer, with fruit salad for desert!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Default re.

im really living real simple right now,i know enough spanish to get by so it shouldnt take to long to learn more.just need a one bedroom or one room house prefer right outside of city or town you know,kind of in the country,or atleast not with neighbors piled up around you.am not in that bad of health except for having arthritis really bad in my hip and back so i dont need constant medical care,am in pain constantly though that i would need to fill some perscriptions for.would like to hear from someone there in Cuenca Ecuador or from someone who can put me in contact with someone there via email to see if they could look for a place.i dont even know how hard it would be for me to get a residency visa anyways will have to look in to it

Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM

77 posts, read 213,821 times
Cuenca has places for $300/month. Just take a look at Craigslist: FOR RENT - NEWEST (http://quito.craigslist.org/apa/1759961237.html - broken link)
My suggestion is to just go there, meet some locals, and look around, and in no time, you'll find a great place to rent. Right now these countries are very aware that the US economy is hurting, so the tourist dollars are not as plentiful as before... so many rentals are vacant at reduced rents.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM

360 posts, read 1,088,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydoo21 View Post
thinking of moving to ecuador or someplace in latin america.i get 682.00 to live on a month from disability.is it possible to live atleast fairly comfortable on this in ecuador or anywhere in latin america.would be looking for a place a little out of the towns sort of in the country.i can still get around on my own and can take care of myself,just cant stand on my feet real long or walk to far.would like to hear from someone who is there or has spent time there
If you are looking to stay permanently in a country you'll have to qualify for their retiree visa. Ecuador I believe requires $800 a month plus more for each dependent. Most countries require at least enough to support yourself, which generally is more than what their average citizens live on. You can't stay more than 180 days a year in Ecuador on a tourist visa.

You might consider doing the year'round tourist visa thing further south in Chile or Argentina. Arica, Chile is the cheapest city in Chile and is just south of the Peru border for easy visa runs.

Here's a secret worth considering. I know of a mobile home park in Del Rio, TX that has some RV spaces. In 2003 she was charging $150 a month, probably more now, but probably still very reasonable. That price included all utilities and cablevision too. And it's across highway from Super Walmart and mall with a Waldenbooks and 8 screen multiplex. You should be able to get by easily. Very well shaded park too.

Bolivia is the cheapest country in South America. Sucre and Tarija would be good choices.

For cheap access consider Colombia. Spirit Airlines flies there very cheaply and away from the biggest cities you'll do well.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
OK...in Mexico there are nice places, safe places that you can rent an apartment for $300.month. It's true. I recently returned from 5 weeks in San Miguel de Allende, a rather 'upscale' town filled with wealthy gringos and still, there were ads for places for rent for $300/month. Even several for $250. month. I shopped at the markets, and figured I spent $5/day for food, and for bus trips. So, yes, you CAN live in nice places for $682.month. Also true in Panama, where I spent a month, and found the same low rentals, and very low food prices. I even ate out every now and then, but that only cost $3-4. for a decent meal of rice, lentils, salad and a beer, with fruit salad for desert!

absolutely agree. lived in San Miguel de Allende for years, and northern Panama for a year. Can be done cheaply, but you will do without gringo amenities, but if you like people watching or just visiting with others, yes you can do it on the cheap in both places.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydoo21 View Post
im really living real simple right now,i know enough spanish to get by so it shouldnt take to long to learn more.just need a one bedroom or one room house prefer right outside of city or town you know,kind of in the country,or atleast not with neighbors piled up around you.am not in that bad of health except for having arthritis really bad in my hip and back so i dont need constant medical care,am in pain constantly though that i would need to fill some perscriptions for.would like to hear from someone there in Cuenca Ecuador or from someone who can put me in contact with someone there via email to see if they could look for a place.i dont even know how hard it would be for me to get a residency visa anyways will have to look in to it
take a look here

Moving to Ecuador ~ Ecuador Chat ~ Cuenca ~ Quito ~ Expat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas