Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 AM

11 posts, read 36,445 times

Advertisements

A new book was released this week on moving or retiring to Ecuador. This seems to be a continuing hotspot for baby boomers to consider for retirement.

Amazon.com: 100 Points to Consider Before Moving or Retiring in Ecuador eBook: Nicholas Crowder: Kindle Store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Just about anyone can write a Kindle book and get it on Amazon.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Ecuador is relatively cheap for Americans retiring there and the climate is decent.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:19 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
There was some concern among expats in Ecuador regarding the Correa administration, and the possibility of a property tax increase on expat landowners, among other issues. For the latest information, check the expat blogs on Ecuador. http://www.pro-ecuador.com/
Prices depend on the area, and how long expats have been in an area. Their influx causes property values to skyrocket, so to get the best prices, it's best to get in on the ground floor of a community, i.e. a relatively newly-established community, like Cotacachi, in the north. According to reports, expats have been in Panama so long, they've priced themselves out of the market, and some have moved to Ecuador, to start the process over.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM

11 posts, read 36,445 times
The same is true in Costa Rica with people being priced out. I would not call Cotacachi a new development............... it has been going on for a number of years.......... but is being pushed harder by developers............. I believe pro-ecuador is a type of developer or at least earns income from expat services real estate ect.

Kindle is a great platform for anyone who wants to publish............ it does not mean the product is bad. It is up to readers to decide.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdpub View Post
The same is true in Costa Rica with people being priced out. I would not call Cotacachi a new development............... it has been going on for a number of years.......... but is being pushed harder by developers............. I believe pro-ecuador is a type of developer or at least earns income from expat services real estate ect.

Kindle is a great platform for anyone who wants to publish............ it does not mean the product is bad. It is up to readers to decide.
Kindle only books aren't necessarily bad, but there are a lot of bad or biased books on them. I could write one in less than a month with the help of ghost writers and editors from the internet. In it I could try to make myself sound like a total expert and just sneak in a few references to a company I own and operate or get a nice kickback from. Nothing is really out there to stop it.

My point was to say just because books are showing up on Kindle doesn't really indicate much. Most countries with any appeal to expats have them. Retire in XX books tend to be overly broad and not very useful, all they really seem to do is say you can do it just like the thousands of others who came before you and made it work. If that is really useful is up to the reader to decide.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 AM

491 posts, read 752,872 times
I think I've seen a nice promotional video on retirering to Ecuador...
Holy crap, a youtube search yielded many hits!
retire in ecuador - YouTube.

Please check some of them out

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM

229 posts, read 316,835 times
He, he, he,
Very bad idea.
Just understand that over there people are OUTRAGED at the fact that the plane of the Bolivian president was hijacked by the US toward Austria so it could be searched for Swoden. Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela are countries that are working together. They are, as well as their population, totally pissed off at the US and now at satellites countries such as Italy, France, Spain, who helped in hijacking the plane. Please, understand you are not welcome there other than for your money.
P.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 PM

491 posts, read 752,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
He, he, he,
Very bad idea.
Just understand that over there people are OUTRAGED at the fact that the plane of the Bolivian president was hijacked by the US toward Austria so it could be searched for Swoden. Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela are countries that are working together. They are, as well as their population, totally pissed off at the US and now at satellites countries such as Italy, France, Spain, who helped in hijacking the plane. Please, understand you are not welcome there other than for your money.
P.
good point!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 PM

229 posts, read 316,835 times
To understand how they feel about "You" over there, El Gringo, why don't you all watch that documentary on Netflix, if you can. You'll learn it from the mouth of their own President, Rafael Correa. See if you think the population will welcome you as liberators, or cash cows. If they link doesn't work, do a search about a documentary about ecuador in Netflix. Frankly, after watching it I don't even feel like visiting.
Ecuador (2011) - from instantwatcher.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas