Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,787,315 times

Advertisements

Hi people.

I just found a very interesting study on the mitochondrial DNA of the Brazilian people.

For those who don't know what is mitochondrial DNA, some information from Wikipedia:

"Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is the DNA located in organelles called mitochondria, structures within eukaryotic cells that convert the chemical energy from food into a form that cells can use, adenosine triphosphate (ATP).

Mitochondrial DNA can be regarded as the smallest chromosome, and was the first significant part of the human genome to be sequenced. In most species, including humans, mtDNA is inherited solely from the mother."

Source: Mitochondrial DNA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That means that your mitochondrial DNA comes from the mother of the mother of the mother of your mother.

More information from Wikipedia:

"In human genetics, a human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup is a haplogroup defined by differences in human mitochondrial DNA. Haplogroups are used to represent the major branch points on the mitochondrial phylogenetic tree. Understanding the evolutionary path of the female lineage has helped population geneticists trace the matrilineal inheritance of modern humans back to human origins in Africa and the subsequent spread across the globe.

The letter names of the haplogroups run from A to Z. As haplogroups were named in the order of their discovery, they do not reflect the actual genetic relationships."

Source: Human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well... Scientists identified "haplogroups" of mitochondrial DNA that are typical of each continent.

There are haplogroups that are typical of Europe, others that are typical of Africa, others that are typical of Native Americans, etcetera.

I found this very interesting study about the mitochondrial DNA of the Brazilian people:

The Ancestry of Brazilian mtDNA Lineages

The study is named "The Ancestry of Brazilian mtDNA Lineages".

The most interesting conclusion of the study is summarized in this table:

PubMed Central, Table 4: Am J Hum Genet. 2000 August; 67(2): 444

The table shows the "Frequency of Continent-Specific mtDNA Haplotypes in the Brazilian mtDNA Pool".

As you should know, Brazil is a multi-racial country. And this genetic study confirms that.

The table shows that 39 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of European origin, 33 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of Native American origin, and 28 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of African origin.

That distribution changes from a region of Brazil to another.

For example, in the Northeast, the Southeast and the South, the numbers are:

Northeast

European - 34 percent

Native American - 22 percent

African - 44 percent

Southeast (includes Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo)

European - 31 percent

Native American - 33 percent

African - 34 percent

South

European - 66 percent

African - 12 percent

This genetic study confirms how Brazil is a multi-racial country.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Interesting!

How do they define the Northeast? I'd think Recife up to Manaus. But it looks like they include Salvador as well? I didn't think African had that much influence north of Salvador until you hit Sao Luis. But, from this study, 44% have some African blood.

I'm equally surprised that Rio/Sao Paulo has more indigeneous blood than the Northeast?????!!!??

Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting!

How do they define the Northeast? I'd think Recife up to Manaus. But it looks like they include Salvador as well? I didn't think African had that much influence north of Salvador until you hit Sao Luis. But, from this study, 44% have some African blood.

I'm equally surprised that Rio/Sao Paulo has more indigeneous blood than the Northeast?????!!!??

The Northeast is officially defined as the 9 states from Maranhao (capital city: Sao Luis) until Bahia (capital city: Salvador).

Manaus and Belem are not part of the Northeast. Manaus and Belem are part of another region officialy designated as "North".

The numbers for the North are:

Native American - 54 percent

European - 31 percent

African - 15 percent

The North is where the Amazon forest is located, and the population there is strongly Amerindian (indigenous).

And I'm also surprised that the Southeast has more indigeneous blood than the Northeast, but it's what the research shows. The Southeast includes not only Rio/Sao Paulo but also the state of Minas Gerais (capital city: Belo Horizonte), the state with the second largest population in Brazil after the state of Sao Paulo.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Mitochondrial DNA is only part of the puzzle, they now need to do a study on the paternal lines to get the full picture. Having said that, in the Latin American countries where paternal DNA studies have been done, the European component tends to predominate. I don't really expect much difference in Brazil.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 AM

The 44% of African ancestry in the Northeast is heavily concentrated in the metropolitan regions of the cities of Salvador, Recife and Sao Luis, that had many sugar cane plantations in the proximities, during the colonial era.

In other states of the Northeast Region, like Ceara and Piaui, the Native American ancestry is clearly much more widespread than the African ancestry.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,933 times
Default lol. Spilled the coffee all over my screen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Hi people.

I just found a very interesting study on the mitochondrial DNA of the Brazilian people.

For those who don't know what is mitochondrial DNA, some information from Wikipedia:

"Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is the DNA located in organelles called mitochondria, structures within eukaryotic cells that convert the chemical energy from food into a form that cells can use, adenosine triphosphate (ATP).

Mitochondrial DNA can be regarded as the smallest chromosome, and was the first significant part of the human genome to be sequenced. In most species, including humans, mtDNA is inherited solely from the mother."

Source: Mitochondrial DNA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That means that your mitochondrial DNA comes from the mother of the mother of the mother of your mother.

More information from Wikipedia:

"In human genetics, a human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup is a haplogroup defined by differences in human mitochondrial DNA. Haplogroups are used to represent the major branch points on the mitochondrial phylogenetic tree. Understanding the evolutionary path of the female lineage has helped population geneticists trace the matrilineal inheritance of modern humans back to human origins in Africa and the subsequent spread across the globe.

The letter names of the haplogroups run from A to Z. As haplogroups were named in the order of their discovery, they do not reflect the actual genetic relationships."

Source: Human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well... Scientists identified "haplogroups" of mitochondrial DNA that are typical of each continent.

There are haplogroups that are typical of Europe, others that are typical of Africa, others that are typical of Native Americans, etcetera.

I found this very interesting study about the mitochondrial DNA of the Brazilian people:

The Ancestry of Brazilian mtDNA Lineages

The study is named "The Ancestry of Brazilian mtDNA Lineages".

The most interesting conclusion of the study is summarized in this table:

PubMed Central, Table 4: Am J Hum Genet. 2000 August; 67(2): 444

The table shows the "Frequency of Continent-Specific mtDNA Haplotypes in the Brazilian mtDNA Pool".

As you should know, Brazil is a multi-racial country. And this genetic study confirms that.

The table shows that 39 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of European origin, 33 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of Native American origin, and 28 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of African origin.

That distribution changes from a region of Brazil to another.

For example, in the Northeast, the Southeast and the South, the numbers are:

Northeast

European - 34 percent

African - 44 percent

Southeast (includes Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo)

European - 31 percent

Native American - 33 percent

African - 34 percent

South

European - 66 percent

African - 12 percent

This genetic study confirms how Brazil is a multi-racial country.
Your definition of multiracial is now based on mitochondrial DNA? Are you for real? On top of that, mtDNA is also only inherited from the mother.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
"The table shows that 39 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of European origin, 33 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of Native American origin, and 28 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of African origin."

I'm a little surprised Native American is above African. As the South looks to be the only region to have noticeably more Native American I take it they have a large percent of the population.

Relational to the above, if maybe linked to elsewhere, is this.

Brazil's Population Is Now Majority Minority - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"The table shows that 39 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of European origin, 33 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of Native American origin, and 28 percent of Brazilians have mitochondrial DNA of African origin."

I'm a little surprised Native American is above African. As the South looks to be the only region to have noticeably more Native American I take it they have a large percent of the population.

Relational to the above, if maybe linked to elsewhere, is this.

Brazil's Population Is Now Majority Minority - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
mtDNA is from the maternal line only--the majority of the Europeans that came, especially early on, were male. The same is true of the African slaves they brought. Many of these European and African males had children with Native American woman due to the relative scarcity of European and African females.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The Northeast is officially defined as the 9 states from Maranhao (capital city: Sao Luis) until Bahia (capital city: Salvador).

Manaus and Belem are not part of the Northeast. Manaus and Belem are part of another region officialy designated as "North".

The numbers for the North are:

Native American - 54 percent

European - 31 percent

African - 15 percent

The North is where the Amazon forest is located, and the population there is strongly Amerindian (indigenous).

And I'm also surprised that the Southeast has more indigeneous blood than the Northeast, but it's what the research shows. The Southeast includes not only Rio/Sao Paulo but also the state of Minas Gerais (capital city: Belo Horizonte), the state with the second largest population in Brazil after the state of Sao Paulo.
Are there some similar stats/data for each individual large city, or for each estados/state?

Very interesting! I've always been curious about individual Northeast and Northern cities, just because they seem to vary so significantly from each other.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
mtDNA is from the maternal line only--the majority of the Europeans that came, especially early on, were male. The same is true of the African slaves they brought. Many of these European and African males had children with Native American woman due to the relative scarcity of European and African females.
That makes sense, I should have thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas