Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have never, ever heard of the people of the United States of America being referred to anything but Americans. Not in Europe, not in Asia, and definitely not in the USA. A couple people on the Internet does not make something popular or even acceptable. Bet if you took a poll most Americans have never heard of this. Nice try.

Regardless of whatever the history is or was, we are from a country on the Northern America continent, that makes us legitimately American. If you want to refer to us as North Anericans for clarity, go for it. At least that way people will know what you are talking about.
That's what South Americans usually do! They politically incorrectly refer to Americans as Norte Americanos, which inadvertently puts Mexico and Mexicans in this weird category of 'are they too, or are they not?' discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's what South Americans usually do! They politically incorrectly refer to Americans as Norte Americanos, which inadvertently puts Mexico and Mexicans in this weird category of 'are they too, or are they not?' discussion.
yeah in Argentina it's the same if they don't say "yanqui" "gringo" or "estadounidense" they'll say "norte-americano"

Canada is - "Canadiense"

Old 11-03-2014, 11:18 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Lived in the US for 30 of my 31 years, never heard anyone use "United Statsian" once in any part of the country, including in areas such as SF, Boston, Seattle, NYC, or Boston, where you have plenty of globally-minded folks and no shortage of people who have some degree of self loathing and wish or pretend that they aren't totally American and would be more than happy to use any PC term to describe themselves. So, unless this "sizable" community exists somewhere in the Midwest or South, which I find highly unlikely...

Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM

440 posts, read 377,336 times
Quote:
I think you're reading history books that are either Portuguese-centric or Spanish-centric.

The Americas has always been the entire hemisphere. Both North and South America. They were divided between North America and South America to specify which section of the hemisphere one was talking about.

If you believe that the Americas was ONLY South America, than you must have grown up reading some very Spanish or Portuguese-centric textbooks.
America was originally the southern hemisphere of the continent; Central America and North America were not considered America (Martin waldseemüller, 1507).

So it is not a Spanish-centric as you put it becasue history already tells that America is the name of a continent (1507), if anything, it is US-centric to deny that America is a continent.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Well, the United States was a dream of many EUROPEAN IMMIGRANTS for the first two hundred years. It was never some isolated entity of just 100% born internal something or another.

It became 'America' because all of the Europeans continuously referred to it as such. Than those Europeans who kept talking about 'America', made the move to the United States of America, and continued calling it the same as they always called it back in Europe.

For whatever reason, for most Europeans, the United States of America, simply was shorted as 'America'. Even today, if I visit Europe or talk to Europeans, I have to constantly endure them using the words 'he's from America', etc.
The only reason why you would find some people from other continents calling the USA "America" is because of the influence of US media. Just repetition.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have never, ever heard of the people of the United States of America being referred to anything but Americans. Not in Europe, not in Asia, and definitely not in the USA. A couple people on the Internet does not make something popular or even acceptable. Bet if you took a poll most Americans have never heard of this. Nice try.

Regardless of whatever the history is or was, we are from a country on the Northern America continent, that makes us legitimately American. If you want to refer to us as North Anericans for clarity, go for it. At least that way people will know what you are talking about.
The term is slowly gaining ground, although there are other terms being used such as "US citizen".

Yes, you are right, US citizens are americans, no one can deny that the same way Peruvians, Venezulans, Argentinians, Mexicans, etc are americans because all those countries are located in the same continent, America.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
The term is slowly gaining ground, although there are other terms being used such as "US citizen".

Yes, you are right, US citizens are americans, no one can deny that the same way Peruvians, Venezulans, Argentinians, Mexicans, etc are americans because all those countries are located in the same continent, America.
Yes but in the United States, we usually refer to them as Central or South Americans. We usually don't refer to Peruvians, Venezuelans, Argentinians, Hondurans, etc as simply "Americans" because that's our nationality. I hope you can understand that.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:44 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
At school I was taught that North and South America are two seperate continents.

"America" = USA not anything else apart from that. It was informal to say that.

North Americans are Mexicans, Belizeans, Costa Ricans, Americans of the US, Canadian, Hondurans, Bahamians, Jamaicans, Panamanians etc

South Americans are Brazilians, Chileans, Colombians, Peruvians, Surinamese etc..

Americas = equal both North and South America, the Caribbean and associated islands e.g. Greenland, Falkland islands.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:49 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post

They can call themselves whatever they want. I am strictly and American, from the United States. You won't ever hear me refer to myself as anything different whether on my own nation's soil or abroad. If Latin Americans get all pissy about it then that is their problem. They are Peruvians, Venezualans, Argentinians. The only Americans come from the United States of AMERICA. And the world knows this.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do people in the America continent refer to us people from the USA as "United Statians" or any other name like "Gringo" "Yankee" anything other than "Americans"?

Do people from lets say Brazil ever consider themselves American?
Some calls us A-holes and rightfully so for some. Some call us stupid, again it's quite possible. Some call us ignorant, boring, fat, lazy, and useless.....we call that, jealousy....others just call me by my name....

Why? Well, the French and Europeans (some, not all mind you) call us fat.....hey, they would be too if food were as plentiful and available and diverse as ours is here........There's a REASON the French drink wine all day. What with the cost of their income taxes (UP to 75%) and the water being so bad, you'd drink wine too under the guise of culture if only to help numb your brain to the parting of up to 75% of your pay too...if you could.....our idea of culture is yogurt.....let it go.....

Stupid? Perhaps but, then again, why does everyone OUTSIDE of the US want to attend our universities???? God only knows there are some US kids with mediocre grades dying to get in and spend their parents money. Don't see a need to import them....

Lazy? Got us there to some degree. Hard to get motivated after helping out in two world wars and keeping most of our critics away from the political guillotines common throughout the rest of the world, huh? Just ask the Cambodians, the Israeli's and a bunch of others....you know, it wasn't all that long ago that guys like Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini roamed the Earth....and we all know how THEY were....they never met a dissident they didn't want to kill....so yeah, I guess we are taking a bit of a break but, it sure is fun to lounge around here with no fear of drug cartels executing us anytime soon....our nuns don't seem to perish in ditches in the middle of the night so it's all good in the hood here....

Then, there is the A-Hole part...well, if you seen the movie Team America, you know that some of this pervades our culture but, to our credit, we don't have a Chavez, or a whack job like that thief running Argentina, nor a cult like ISIS or a despot like Putin, do we? While we may argue with you publicly, we don't typically shoot you. And this is coming from a country with 300,000,000 weapons in the hands of it's citizenry! Amazing. Truly. Good news is most can't shoot straight or shoot much at all so, you are all good here! Chicago notwithstanding....

Besides, the last time I checked our A-Holes were busy helping you folks with yours. And it's a good thing too because I don't see too many OTHER planes dropping rice and stuff that DON'T have an American flag plastered all over it, do you? So, despite being A-holes, we are always finest when other countries are at their worst.

And yet, I'd say we are confused, yet free, caring and constantly suffering from a narcissistic rage that can present itself with little notice and sometimes, entirely without. We are there when you need us no matter how much we squabble about doing so....we have had a reputation of looking down on folks and forgetting that there but, for the Grace of God, go I....little cheeky comments to mentally b-slap us down when we mis-behave or, as we usually do, take things for granted.

We aren't easy to understand and yet, we are fully willing to let you try. If you figure it out, let us all know because it's exhausting here sometimes. And yet, everyday when I sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic I am comforted by the fact that when the shiite hits the fan, there is a group of younger men AND women willing to come to my aid when a guy with a hatchet comes calling. Not bad.

Case in point, did you look at the resources we expended when Captain Phillips was held hostage by some wayward Somali's? 3 warships, helicopters, f'in Navy Seals with incredibly good marksmanship skills all willing to come to Cap'n Phillips aid along with his crew. We even spent a near proportional amount looking for JFK junior when he failed his night time IFR challenge.....but, then again, it was a Kennedy
so.....there's.....that.....however, don't expect us to be so generous for EVERYONE.....although we are doing what we can looking for that still missing Malaysian Airliner....go figure....

In fact, if you look at it from 10,000 feet I'd say we have done a good job of anointing the masses while anointing ourselves. You are welcome.....There is no award we are not willing to share no matter the circumstance that we aren't willing to share with ourselves. The world gave our President the Nobel Peace Prize and although I bet the committee of etiquette coffee drinkers wishes they could have a do-over, it was a nice gesture....despite the recipient...ahem....

However, in contrast, look at the "Super Bowl"....probably has more nowadays to do with what's in our bowls than the game but, we celebrate it as a global conquest confined to our very united states....seems lacking....I prefer the World Cup where EVERYONE gets a chance to cause mayhem if their team wins OR loses....true competitive spirit....

Where else can you argue with a cop, go to a fast food joint, stuff your face, grab a 6 pack and head home claiming victory. Just make sure you keep it in the right sequence and bad things probably won't happen to you. Can't do that in Riyadh....NOT good.....

So, what are we? A nation of MUTTS that probably emanated from countries like yours looooooong ago. We are members of the lucky sperm club. We arrived in time to criticize the others that try to do the same. I'm ready to hang the flickering NO VACANCY sign on the arm of the Statue of Liberty as it's probably time but, I'me equally okay with us helping certain countries in time of need.

In short, we are a country of contradictions wrapped in a sanctimonius prick called "Rights" and we stretch these very rights to the limits. We argue on every interpretation until certain folks are apoplectic about it and then forget it all and do the same thing tomorrow.....Roe V. Wade, Same Sex Marriages, KKK, Civil Rights, all matters not, what matters most is that we can ALL weigh-in no matter how unjustly justified. Cool, ain't it?

Why? Because the same reason we sleep with the Waffle House waitress...because we "can" and therefore, "do". Freedom does have it's privileges but, I can't imagine being anywhere else but, here. We speak one language traditionally because it's all we NEED. If it works for you, great. If not, we certainly understand and wish you well in your country of birth. May the water flow freely and the grass grow greenly wherever you may roam.

For me? This really is "it".

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 11-03-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas