Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times

Advertisements

Caribbean-Americans: An Invisible Minority Seeking Identity And Affirmation

By PALASH R. GHOSH | SEPTEMBER 26 2012 7:55 AM
In an increasingly racially diverse United States, Caribbean migrants and Americans of Caribbean descent are without an official means of classification and frequently dismissed as a marketplace or voting bloc.

Frequently lumped in as “African-Americans” or “black Americans,” Caribbeans actually comprise a diverse array of cultures, races, religions and languages unto themselves and differ in many ways from “mainstream” African-Americans.

Source URL: Caribbean-Americans: An Invisible Minority Seeking Identity And Affirmation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-13-2015 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM

195 posts, read 350,660 times
All these people have little in common. I don't think a jamaican, haitians and Cubans feel like they belong to the same group. Language is a stronger force. Cubans feel more identified with other Spanish speaking latinos. Same with english speaking caribbeans.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
All these people have little in common. I don't think a jamaican, haitians and Cubans feel like they belong to the same group. Language is a stronger force. Cubans feel more identified with other Spanish speaking latinos. Same with english speaking caribbeans.
I believe the focus is on Caribbean people being counted, generally speaking. Those from Caribbean Latino nations will have the opportunity to specify their region of origin, but this gives other Caribbean people the chance to be counted as a group and perhaps have a bigger voice. In terms of language, there is greater overlap among the non-spanish speakers in the Caribbean. For example, many English-speaking nations also speak Kreyol or used to largely speak it. As stated, Caribbean people can be black, white, Latino, East Indian, Chinese, Arab, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, even though majority of African descent. I would be very interested in seeing the size of the population and then building on that information. Though it may never happen, it would be nice for the Caribbean-American community.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Interesting article. A lot of Caribbean people refuse to think of themselves as American no matter how long they've been here, and are largely focused on making money in the US, Canada, UK...not particularly striving to have themselves represented in an American, etc context.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Interesting article. A lot of Caribbean people refuse to think of themselves as American no matter how long they've been here, and are largely focused on making money in the US, Canada, UK...not particularly striving to have themselves represented in an American, etc context.
Some Caribbean people do feel that way, similar to a number of immigrants from different places. However, this includes people of the immigrant generation and those of Caribbean descent, who are born Americans. Perhaps this will encourage those who don't view themselves as American to see themselves as a relevant part of the American populous.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times
Not quite sure about the SEEKING and the AFFIRMATION. I know a lot of Trini's in Queens and believe me, they are nice and happy just being themselves. I think it has a lot to do with coming from a warm,balmy,exotic, and delicious country. They are very comfortable with their own identity and do not really care how other people see them. Have you ever been to Liberty Ave? When the going gets tough in the states and the standard black's and white's start their tired old issues the Trini's just smile and retire for a few years back in Trini land.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Not quite sure about the SEEKING and the AFFIRMATION. I know a lot of Trini's in Queens and believe me, they are nice and happy just being themselves. I think it has a lot to do with coming from a warm,balmy,exotic, and delicious country. They are very comfortable with their own identity and do not really care how other people see them. Have you ever been to Liberty Ave? When the going gets tough in the states and the standard black's and white's start their tired old issues the Trini's just smile and retire for a few years back in Trini land.
I agree...but honestly didn't take the title literally. Trinis and other Caribbean people in general are happy being themselves. But I'm sure they and others wouldn't mind actually being recognized as who/what they are...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
I don't quite get this part.

Quote:
Correct identification is crucial to Caribbeans receiving proportionate amounts of state and federal aid, for schools, hospitals and senior citizen centers, among other community services.
What difference does it make if I mark "Black" or "West Indian" on a Census form? Federal funds aren't allocated to specific ethnic groups. They're allocated to states and municipalities.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Isn't there a 'black caribbean' option on the US census?? Thats what we have here (UK) Or do Afro caribbeans go under just Black in America?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Isn't there a 'black caribbean' option on the US census?? Thats what we have here (UK) Or do Afro caribbeans go under just Black in America?
No, I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.