Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times

Advertisements

Vallenato is nice. Do you know the group "Los Diablitos"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Colombia is a great bang for buck trip for people coming from USA. I've been over there several times since my wife is Colombian but I still have plenty to explore. The exchange rate is very friendly and it's a very "repeatable" destination since it is a very regional and diverse country with a lot of different areas to visit.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So Columbia is not dangerous at all?
There are precautions that you have to take but it's not as dangerous as most United Stadians think.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Vallenato is nice. Do you know the group "Los Diablitos"?

Not really my style, although they're pretty famous. I prefer Diomedes Diaz and Kaleth Morales and older Vallenato.

Just wondering, how do you know Vallenato?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Yeah diablitos are good. I prefer older vallenato too.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM

546 posts, read 817,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
and it was awesome!! Its this amazing country full of amazing places, food, people, fruits, sights,etc. I spent half my time in Bogota and the other half in Villeta. Im already planning to go back this December to see Cartagena and San Andres.

Anyone have any feedback on their trips to Colombia?
Colombia is a great country to visit. I've been two times (Cartagena, Barranqilla and Cali). But I hear Medellin is the most beautiful of the major cities. Maybe next time.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM

546 posts, read 817,583 times
Quote:
I'd like to go but to me every country south of Panama is either too remote or too dangerous
I respect that not everyone wants to go to Colombia but to rule out every country south of Panmana? So Argentina, Chile and Uraguay are off limits? That is too extreme in my view.

Quote:
Colombia takes the cake as one of the most dangerous country of S America after Venezuela. Won't take the risk, even if I'm probably missing a lot.
Colombia is much safter than Valenzuela. Not even a contest. Also, plenty of cities in Brazil with higher crime rates than some of Colombia's larger cities (like Cartagena).

Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
Colombia is a great country to visit. I've been two times (Cartagena, Barranqilla and Cali). But I hear Medellin is the most beautiful of the major cities. Maybe next time.
Medellin looks unique with all the tall buildings built into the hills, but beautiful? I don't know about that.

Best place during my trip was spending a few days in Salento and going for a hike in the Valle de Cocora. That and the bus rides through the Zona Cafetera are not to be missed. The cities of Colombia are fine places, but they aren't all that different from the rest of Latin America other than Cartagena. Cartagena is indeed touristy but just amazing at the same time. One just needs a few days there to soak it all up before the humidity and the endless streams of tourists do start to get tiring.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Cartagena has long been on my list of 'must see' cities.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Medellin looks unique with all the tall buildings built into the hills, but beautiful? I don't know about that.

Best place during my trip was spending a few days in Salento and going for a hike in the Valle de Cocora. That and the bus rides through the Zona Cafetera are not to be missed. The cities of Colombia are fine places, but they aren't all that different from the rest of Latin America other than Cartagena. Cartagena is indeed touristy but just amazing at the same time. One just needs a few days there to soak it all up before the humidity and the endless streams of tourists do start to get tiring.
Medellin used to have a lot colonial architecture but unfortunately many buildings were torn down and modern buildings were built. Medellin's architectural history is very tragic and depressing. Maybe it's also the story of many Latin American cities.

You can find colonial architecture in touristy towns but it is usually limited to a big catholic church, a big plaza and colonial homes with flowers in their balconies. Close to Medellin you can find Guatapé and Santa Fe de Antioquia which are "relative" safe to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas