Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
No no I actually I can educate you on Haitians because I have facts that I can back up showing you the Haitian American community in the states.

Your going to argue my facts with a bunch of bad experiences you had with Haitians? Lol.

You say Haitians are lazy but when I went to Fort Lauderdale every single cab driver was Haitian lol. If being lazy is true then maybe the cabs in Florida come with sweet baby Ruth chocolate bars lol.

And like Mass w.e his name said you'll be shocked at how many Haitians are in politics, medicine, and other fields of education you Americans depend on.
You must be one of those haitians who will proudly announce that 1/3rd of doctors in NYC are haitians.
Yes I heard that said on haitian radio. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I lived around alot of Hatians in Montreal, I have seen the good and bad in that community. But overall MTL is a pretty laid back city, and most Hatians I met were cool and doing well in life. In all honesty some of the nicest/freindliest people from the Caribbean I have met were Haitian. Alot of Hatians I talked to told me that they had lived in Miami before moving to Canada and they always say they felt more welcome and at ease here.
MTL is incredibly laid back and while race relations aren't ideal (where are they?), the whole place seems so much less tense than most racially mixed cities in the usa. Despite the complaints of the professional complainers, haitians have overall been able to work well with the Quebecois. There are several haitians in politics, the media and in the arts who are well known. I can think of haitians here who are heads of major civil society organisations in QC and who work on general social issues, not just haitian issues.

I think Canada's immigration policies have a lot to do with the higher quality of the haitian community here. Canada is not ashamed to say that they value educated, non criminal people for immigration.
That necessarily has an effect on who gets to settle here. From what I gather, the haitian community in florida features both the very high end and the very low, very low end of haitian society, while the middel classes seems to have headed more to the north.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Haha man, I've saw those articles before and others as well. Haiti is progressing however some of the old problems remain. If you don't think PAP is overpopulated you really should visit.

The most stable islands are the ones with less people ( at least in the Caribbean). Maybe moving the capital away to South department would help since they can plan a city. Given the current situation however all the aide money goes to NGOs and not public works.

Chances are the government would have to go through the sorry congress in session right now to get anywhere (Haiti). That's why the president had to setup a phone tax for education with no congressional approval. Which they are still freaking out about.

It's cute to make tablets. But the government needs to be able to build sewage systems, a competent army (Jamaica has one), dual language based education for minors and a real political process (sans US or Canada). That isn't happening from taxing pseudo sweat shop revenues, not to mention the companies would just go to the next worst off nation. If even half the people keep having 4-5 kids the problem WILL get worse.
That's more like it.

One step at a time.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
The android factory and the new hotels are very good news.
Haiti seems, for once, to be serious about the whole tourism initiative.

Who are you to tell to people who gave or lent money that they have no right to wonder what happened to the money ? Here in Canada, there have been numerous scandals involving large sums of money given to haitian causes that ended being incredibly mismanaged. If you don't want people wondering about their money then don't accept gifts. Don't accept aid. If you're a beggar you don't choose.

Which is of course why Haiti needs to becomes a real country with a real economy based on selling goods and services to themselves and to the rest of the world. The situation in the country is incredibly abnormal. Almost every educated person who still lives in Haiti works for some kind of aid organisation.

Btw enough with the french debt.
Other countries have been razed to the ground, had their populations half exterminated, been occupied for decades by hostile foreign powers and they managed to climb out of the pits. Time for Haiti to do like other countries have had to do in this world.
Cant ask where your money went if you aren't doing the full research on progress. I take it the person who started the thread expected Haiti to have skyscrapers by now.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Cant ask where your money went if you aren't doing the full research on progress. I take it the person who started the thread expected Haiti to have skyscrapers by now.
I think we got taken. The person who started the thread, well, there hasn't been another post on this thread ever sense.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think we got taken. The person who started the thread, well, there hasn't been another post on this thread ever sense.
The ensuing discussion was interesting so imho it doesn't matter that the OP disappeared.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
The ensuing discussion was interesting so imho it doesn't matter that the OP disappeared.
Maybe so. However, I get the feeling that the main idea was to basically bash Haiti and Haitians.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM

566 posts, read 889,118 times
Despite the negativity, however, one place where you can see where the money is going is the extensive development of the Haitian tourism sector. Granted, when you have millions living below a $1, you kind of scratch your head and wonder, why invest here when you could be addressing the egregious social issues that are facing your country? However, I guess by laying down the infrastructure for potential tourist, they simultaneously address SOME of the basic infrastructure needs of the country as a whole. For instance, Route National 1, one of the longest paved highways in Haiti, stretches from PAP and Connects with Cap Haitien. This was done not only to allow potential tourist, but it also improves transport of goods from one part of the country to the other... But on a superficial level, the development being done in the tourism sector LOOKS nice, but in reality.. are the people being helped? below are some examples of what they have done over the past 4 years:

Haitian Tourism Facebook Page (In French)
https://www.facebook.com/haititourisme

Here you can find lots of updates on the tourism sector.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Guyana and Haiti to lead Caribbean growth in 2014 - News - Jamaica Observer Mobile

Haiti and Guyana two of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere projected for the biggest growth in 2014.

That's plantains to my ears.

Boom shakalakalaka

Old 02-16-2014, 08:29 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
The android factory and the new hotels are very good news.
Haiti seems, for once, to be serious about the whole tourism initiative.
Regardless if some think its good or bad, I guess we can all agree that the hotels look very nice.

At least someone believes in that country. That's a first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas