Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
What's wrong with individuals trying to broaden their knowledge about the living conditions and treatment of people of other cultures around the world?
It's complicated. On one hand the population of Mexico has a huge percentage of people who have a large percentage of their ancestry from both Europe and Indigenous people. The American revolution had almost nothing to do with racial or ethnic groups, whereas it was a strong component of the Mexican revolution. The cry "Death to the Guachapines" is known by every Mexican.

As a result there is a strong history in 19th century Mexican law to remove race and ethnicity from public life.
Of course, Mexico's most popular 19th century president was not white. Benito Juarez famously said
"Entre los individuos como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz” or one possible translation: "Among individuals, as among nations, the respect to other people's rights is peace”.

Consider this was at a time when first slavery, and then open racism was a part of US government. The Chinese Exclusion Act was a United States federal law signed by President Chester A. Arthur on May 6, 1882, nearly 3 decades after slavery was outlawed. The Annexation of Hawaii in 1898 was often accompanies by disparaging remarks about the racial makeup of Queen Lili/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._of_Hawaii.jpg

Mexicans do not even categorize people by race during their census like the USA does. They do ask people about their native language (including indigenous languages) just as the USA does.

On the other hand, the relentless voice about how people should behave which is all encompassing in today's US society is not heard as loudly by all Mexicans. Bars are called "La Morenos" so that brown people know that they are welcome there. Advertising for a pretty girl to work in your bar is not illegal.

So, I would say that there is a much longer legal history against racism, but today the odds of you hearing an open racial slur are still higher in urban Mexico than in urban USA.

The number of racial ethnophaulisms is still much higher in Mexican Spanish than in American English.

The ska song salta pa'tras by la maldita vecindad is a plea for racial tolerance, but it's lyrics use every racial slur commonly found in Mexico City. Get someone to translate the lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZSzKu6A9c

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-09-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:12 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
more points promoting The Race:

15. “The Race” supports driver’s licenses for illegal aliens.

14.”The Race” demands in-state tuition discounts for illegal alien students that are not available to law-abiding U.S. citizens and law-abiding legal immigrants.

13. “The Race” vehemently opposes cooperative immigration enforcement efforts between local, state, and federal authorities.

12. “The Race” opposes a secure fence on the southern border.

11. “The Race” joined the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in a failed lawsuit attempt to prevent the feds from entering immigration information into a key national crime database — and to prevent local police officers from accessing the data.

10. “The Race” opposed the state of Oklahoma’s tough immigration-enforcement-first laws, which cut off welfare to illegal aliens, put teeth in employer sanctions, and strengthened local-federal cooperation and information sharing.

9. “The Race” joined other open-borders, anti-assimilationists and sued to prevent Proposition 227, California’s bilingual education reform ballot initiative, from becoming law.

8. “The Race” bitterly protested common-sense voter ID provisions as an “absolute disgrace.”

7. “The Race” has consistently opposed post-9/11 national security measures at every turn.

6. Former “Race” president Raul Yzaguirre, Hillary Clinton’s Hispanic outreach adviser, said this: “U.S. English is to Hispanics as the Ku Klux Klan is to blacks.” He was referring to U.S. English, the nation’s oldest, largest citizens’ action group dedicated to preserving the unifying role of the English language in the United States. “The Race” also pioneered Orwellian open-borders Newspeak and advised the Mexican government on how to lobby for illegal alien amnesty while avoiding the terms “illegal” and “amnesty.”
I don't see how these are racist against White Americans. Alot of people who don't belong to La Raza organzation also believe in these and they range from different skin tones and backgrounds including other White Americans. Are you saying White Americans who also believe in these points are racists towards White Americans? Yes because that makes sense huh?

Anyways this thread is about racism in Mexico. Not about Mexican Americans organizations or the United States. Take your conspiracy about Mexico wanting to destroy the United States out of the door please.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:22 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Can't believe how many of you play stupid by not knowing what La Raza is or downplay its purpose.
La Raza is a racist group:

La Raza Facts | National Review Online
there are 15 points and facts in the article here are the top four in reverse:

4. “The Race” is currently leading a smear campaign against staunch immigration-enforcement leaders and has called for TV and cable news networks to keep immigration enforcement proponents off the airwaves — in addition to pushing for Fairness Doctrine policies to shut up their foes. The New York Times reported that current “Race” president Janet Murguia believes “hate speech” should “not be tolerated, even if such censorship were a violation of First Amendment

3. “The Race” sponsors militant ethnic nationalist charter schools subsidized by your public tax dollars (at least $8 million in federal education grants). The schools include Aztlan Academy in Tucson, Ariz., the Mexicayotl Academy in Nogales, Ariz., Academia Cesar Chavez Charter School in St. Paul, Minn., and La Academia Semillas del Pueblo in Los Angeles, whose principal inveighed: “We don’t want to drink from a White water fountain, we have our own wells and our natural reservoirs and our way of collecting rain in our aqueducts. We don’t need a White water fountain . . . ultimately the White way, the American way, the neo liberal, capitalist way of life will eventually lead to our own destruction.”
2. “The Race” has perfected the art of the PC shakedown at taxpayer expense, pushing relentlessly to lower home-loan standards for Hispanic borrowers, reaping millions in federal “mortgage counseling” grants, seeking special multimillion-dollar earmarks, and partnering with banks that do business with illegal aliens.

1. “The Race” thrives on ethnic supremacy — and the elite sheeple’s unwillingness to call it what it is. As historian Victor Davis Hanson observes: “[The] organization’s very nomenclature ‘The National Council of La Raza’ is hate speech to the core. Despite all the contortions of the group, Raza (as its Latin cognate suggests) reflects the meaning of ‘race’ in Spanish, not ‘the people’ — and that’s precisely why we don’t hear of something like ‘The National Council of the People,’ which would not conPene y la crisis de la mediana edad.
Funny that you judge a whole nation based on a tiny group, that it is not even Mexican but part of the Chicano subculture.
Should I assume all white Americans are neo nazis, based on a ku kux klan blog?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-11-2014 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Do not change someone's quote and per the TOS, English only

Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It'

Mexicans do not even categorize people by race during their census like the USA does.
Ku6A9c

In the USA we talk about race, and so move to develop solutions to reduce racism. In Latin America they don't, and so racism continues unabated.

As a black man I prefer life in the USA AS A BLACK MAN any day to life as a black man in Latin American!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:17 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In the USA we talk about race, and so move to develop solutions to reduce racism. In Latin America they don't, and so racism continues unabated.

As a black man I prefer life in the USA AS A BLACK MAN any day to life as a black man in Latin American!
In the USA the talk about race is quite new. Also, the point of view on race is very different.

Another thing- Latin America is a huge, huge region. There is alot of regionalism within a country. How do you know that no one is talking about racism or social issues? Are you familiar with all sub-cultures and regions within a country to make such an opinion? I lived in Oaxaca Mexico for 6 months and let me tell you, people are VERY socially active there trying to make change.

There are many nuances that you will not learn about unless you live in a country. In reference to your comment about being Black in LA, I personally know Black Brazilians(family) who have had a great life and have dealt with little racism in Southern Brazil. This is a VERY different environment from favela life in Sao Paulo and Rio. I have seen it first hand.

I think people generalize too much about racism in Latin America.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
Some people seems to have an obsession regarding racism. I agree with Rosa Surf, there are broad generalizations when it comes to Latin America. Race and race issues greatly vary from country to country. But in none is there such polarization regarding the importance of ones color as what it's found in the U.S. Certainly the U.S. Has been working hard on cleaning up the not so distant past, and even with that race issues still a big component of the political and social agenda. Seems as if the more they try the worst it gets.
As a mestizo woman, I've yet to encounter segregated neigborhoods in my country or any kind of real racism here. I used to live in the U.S. in the Bible Belt to be exact and never ever, did I experience any type of racism there, not from Caucasians, Asians, Africans or Latinos of any kind. I do believe that people that complain about racism all day, are the actual racist themselves.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:33 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I don't see how these are racist against White Americans. Alot of people who don't belong to La Raza organzation also believe in these and they range from different skin tones and backgrounds including other White Americans. Are you saying White Americans who also believe in these points are racists towards White Americans? Yes because that makes sense huh?

Anyways this thread is about racism in Mexico. Not about Mexican Americans organizations or the United States. Take your conspiracy about Mexico wanting to destroy the United States out of the door please.
You twisted things. It is not just about white Americans but Americans in general. I was talking about La Raza and not about all of Mexicans in general. La Raza is made up by Mexicans and not ghosts or Eskimos. Those points are not thought by white Americans but those La Razans with their venom.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:34 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Funny that you judge a whole nation based on a tiny group, that it is not even Mexican but part of the Chicano subculture.
Should I assume all white Americans are neo nazis, based on a ku kux klan blog?
I didn't say that, you just did. I only stated that this element is there

Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

I think people generalize too much about racism in Latin America.

Do we? Any discussion about racism in Latin America and we hear how "perfect" life is. Never any nuanced discussions about why the massive difference in social and economic status between those of majority Euro ancestry from those of majority Afro, or the near absence of darker skinned peoples from media representation.

I repeat. I prefer life in the USA as a black man than to be a black man in Latin America. In the USA when racism occurs I have a much better ability to deal with it.

BTW if you seek to prove that there is less racism in Brazil you will need to show that there is minimal difference in socio economic status between blacks and others. After all some people might well be happy if they are treated "nicely" as "servants"!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
. But in none is there such polarization regarding the importance of ones color as what it's found in the U.S. .

And yet all over Latin America we see massive distinctions between people at either end of the skin color spectrum.

I will be curious to discover what people are doing to deal with it, aside from suggesting that because they stifle discussion of this topic it isn't a problem.

With all of its warts the USA is a good deal more inclusive than most of these countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas