Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,962,838 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Mexico, but after doing some reading and watching videos, I've come to the conclusion that it's a beautiful and very wealthy country. Unfortunately, it seems that the white Mexicans, rather than the indigenous brown Mexicans control all the wealth, economic and political power.

So, my question is: Is race relations and discrimination in Mexico by whites, against brown indigenous Mexicans blatant, subtle, or hostile. I am interested in knowing if brown Mexicans are treated despicably by white Mexicans openly, subtly or if at all. Do brown indigenous Mexicans receive the name calling, banana throwing, and same hostility blacks in Europe and the U.S often times experience. I'm just trying to get a perspective of the treatment of brown skin indigenous Mexicans by white Mexicans, as compared to the treatment of blacks in the United States and Europe.

Last edited by dorado0359; 05-05-2014 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,024,801 times
That I'm not 100% sure of, but I do know that Mexico has a pretty large population of Asians and I don't think they get the best treatment. I'm only going by what an ex-girlfriend told me, so if anyone from Mexico doesn't agree, please don't flame me.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,813,719 times
It is very complicated and cannot be compared to other types of racism IMO.

One thing that is important to understand is that racism towards Native American peoples, or people who look Native American, is very deep rooted in many Latin American countries, especially Mexico, Guatemala , Perú, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, and other Central American countries.

Mexico is a large place and with diverse peoples. Mexicans in general are proud of their Native American heritage, especially because advanced civilizations prospered there. At the same time, there is the idea that what is Native American is 'backwards' and what is European is advanced. You do see blatant classism which can also be classified as racism towards the working class people who tend to be darker skinned. At the same time, you can be dark skinned and be a part of the middle and upper classes and be totally accepted.

However, this is not only true for Mexico. I hear time and time again from dark skinned Mexican and Mexican-American professionals and students who travel to Chile and Argentina that they are mistreated due to their appearance. Especially Argentina.

All in all it is diverse and complicated as these issues tend to be in any country that has dealt with opression and colonization.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,557,893 times
Banana throwing!?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,024,027 times
Oh here we go, another American that can't wait to hop on the race bandwagon

Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM

728 posts, read 980,710 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That I'm not 100% sure of, but I do know that Mexico has a pretty large population of Asians and I don't think they get the best treatment. I'm only going by what an ex-girlfriend told me, so if anyone from Mexico doesn't agree, please don't flame me.
I read this post and had to google the information.

I actually found an article about Anti-Chinese sentiments in Northern Mexico.

Fascinating stuff! I wonder if these sentiments are current!?!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 937,234 times
Mexican whites treat the obvious looking mestizos better than the pure Native Mexicans.

You can tell the difference, mixed races are a little lighter and taller than the pure natives.

The mestizos sometimes treat the pure Natives bad to make up for themselves not being "white" enough.

Asians are often called "chinos" even if they are not from China.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 PM

39 posts, read 26,644 times
The banana throwing i have never heard happening in Mexico but In Europe yes like Spain for example barley like 1-2 weeks ago in a soccer stadium somebody threw a banana at a Brazilian player because he was black. i think i remember hearing in the news that a hospital didn't help a indigenous women given birth because she was indigenous it was in a small town.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,086,717 times
Alright so look here. During the early 20th century when many countries like the U.S, Argentina, and Brazil were promoting white immigration in the believe that white is good and civilized, Mexico went a whole nother direction and forged the believe that Mexicans are part of the Cosmic Race, the blend of Indigenous and Spaniards blood. They became proud of being " Mestizo", or their mixed identity.

Today you will see Mestizo Mexicans who look predominantly indigenous to predominantly caucasian. Look at Mexicans. Take a closer look. They are diverse. And they all hang around with each other. Yes in Mexico and like everywhere else the media only shows light skin, slender, and beautiful people. Yes there are many people, like everywhere else, that will try to marry a lighter skinned person in order to "improve the race". That happens everywhere in the world. You can blame colonisiation for that.

But no racism in Mexico is a baby compared to the United States, Brazil, or Argentina. The Argentines whiped out the indigenous people in that country. Brazil had the most slaves in the whole western hemisphere, was the last one who abolished slavery, and threw the black population under the bus in favor of European Immigration. The United States freaks out everytime a certain group of immigrant people gets too large, because they are " taking away our freedom"

Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,024,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I read this post and had to google the information.

I actually found an article about Anti-Chinese sentiments in Northern Mexico.

Fascinating stuff! I wonder if these sentiments are current!?!
My ex was from Cuernavaca and also lived in DF, I honestly don't know a thing about Northern Mexico. It's got to be pretty current considering I dated her around a year ago and she had only been in the US for about a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas