Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are Latino?
Spanish speaking countries 5 6.25%
Spanish speaking countries in the Americas 18 22.50%
Spanish speaking countries and Brazil in the Americas 22 27.50%
Mexico and everything South 6 7.50%
All Latin-based countries (includes Haiti and French Guiana) 28 35.00%
Everything except the West Indies (explain what that means) 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 AM

440 posts, read 377,570 times

Advertisements

By calling the rest "latino" they claim "American" for themselves, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Noone uses the term latino south of the border. They call themselves Americans which is Americanos.

Latinos is not a continent. Only a label invented by the U.S. media, and we all know the U.S. media is far from reality and accuracy.
Latinoamericano is not a term? Latinoamerica?

Old 07-01-2015, 10:49 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
FYI, I've never heard someone from Haiti and Guyana refer to themselves as "Latino." And I live around quite a few of them here in NYC. I think "Latino" is a term that can be used interchangeably with "Hispanic," which has links to the Spanish language. I think this has a lot to do with why many do not call people from non-Spanish speaking Caribbean countries "Latino."

Old 07-01-2015, 11:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
FYI, I've never heard someone from Haiti and Guyana refer to themselves as "Latino." And I live around quite a few of them here in NYC. I think "Latino" is a term that can be used interchangeably with "Hispanic," which has links to the Spanish language. I think this has a lot to do with why many do not call people from non-Spanish speaking Caribbean countries "Latino."
Outside of the US, nobody calls each other latino or Hispanic.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
But what about Brazilians? They consider themselves Latin Americans and they don't speak Spanish, either.

It's so stupid to equate Latin with Hispanic. As if Spanish was the only Romance language.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Outside of the US, nobody calls each other latino or Hispanic.
My response was U.S.-centric, based on how people of various Caribbean backgrounds in the US refer to themselves. Perhaps I should've been clearer there.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But what about Brazilians? They consider themselves Latin Americans and they don't speak Spanish, either.

It's so stupid to equate Latin with Hispanic. As if Spanish was the only Romance language.
That's interesting. Because, in my experience, and clearly you have a different experience, Brazilian Americans do no generally refer to themselves as "Latino." To the extent that I have heard this, it has been fairly recent.

And that is, perhaps, a fair criticism. But, I'm just explaining why many people do not refer to people from non-Spanish Caribbean islands as being "Latino." Note, as I'm sure you're aware, the US government uses the terms interchangeably as well.

Sticking on the topic, I'm not sure if I think it is "stupid" to equate the two. Words only have the meaning that we give them. The term "Latino," as it is understood in the US is used to described people associated with Spanish language/culture. It is a rather narrow definition and is not meant to describe people of Latin descent generally. I liken it to the definition of marriage. While marriage has been understood in this country to mean a particular thing for centuries, now it (and for a few years at least in many states) takes on a different meaning. Again, words have the meaning that society gives them. And, in American society, "Latino" does not refer to people of Latin descent generally. That's only "stupid" or "silly" if you believe that Latino absolutely has to refer to any and everyone of Latin descent. And, since the term "Latino" seems to be very U.S.-centric in its use and understanding (perhaps, even in its origin), I really don't see the problem of US society defining the term as it does.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. Because, in my experience, and clearly you have a different experience, Brazilian Americans do no generally refer to themselves as "Latino." To the extent that I have heard this, it has been fairly recent.

And that is, perhaps, a fair criticism. But, I'm just explaining why many people do not refer to people from non-Spanish Caribbean islands as being "Latino." Note, as I'm sure you're aware, the US government uses the terms interchangeably as well.

Sticking on the topic, I'm not sure if I think it is "stupid" to equate the two. Words only have the meaning that we give them. The term "Latino," as it is understood in the US is used to described people associated with Spanish language/culture. It is a rather narrow definition and is not meant to describe people of Latin descent generally. I liken it to the definition of marriage. While marriage has been understood in this country to mean a particular thing for centuries, now it (and for a few years at least in many states) takes on a different meaning. Again, words have the meaning that society gives them. And, in American society, "Latino" does not refer to people of Latin descent generally. That's only "stupid" or "silly" if you believe that Latino absolutely has to refer to any and everyone of Latin descent. And, since the term "Latino" seems to be very U.S.-centric in its use and understanding (perhaps, even in its origin), I really don't see the problem of US society defining the term as it does.
Why use the term "latino" then? It makes no sense. Why don't you get how it makes no sense? As if Spanish had the monopoly on Romance languages.

My original point stands.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM

440 posts, read 377,570 times
Romance languages.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Why use the term "latino" then? It makes no sense. Why don't you get how it makes no sense? As if Spanish had the monopoly on Romance languages.

My original point stands.
It makes perfect sense based on the definition assigned to it; again, it only doesn't make sense to those who think Latino has to mean of Latin descent, but, as I already explained, that's not what the term means to those who have coined the term. The term could've easily been "Bleluga" or "Tintito." Wouldn't make a difference. Again, words only have the meaning that we, people, assign to them, and there is no rule saying that there has to be one definition/understanding for a particular word/term. Why don't you understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas