Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:28 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Pueblofuerte, how about showing us what 99% of the rest of Bogotá looks like, instead of the small area that has Tudor style buildings
You want to see poverty, well here you go...I have no qualms about it, PS: Teusaquillo and Chapinero are big areas, they probably make up 15% of Bogota, your statement of "99%" is obviously a pitiful attempt at trolling. Personally I don't take pleasure in ogling poverty but just to please you...voila

Ciudad Bolívar - Bogotá * by Wolfgang Sterneck, on Flickr

Sur de Bogotá by Daniel Garzón, on Flickr

Conversando con Francisco Evelio en Jerusalén by K-ndeLa, on Flickr

Luego de la Lluvia, Ciudad Bolivar, Bogotá, Colombia . by Cory Forero, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I'm sorry that Bogota doesn't fit your desire to see colourful Caribbean bougainvillea and people dancing around with fruit bowls on their heads, but that simply isn't Bogota. If it's not your cup of tea then maybe Bogota simply isn't for you and I mean this in the nicest possible way but stereotypes just annoy me. Colombia was founded and influenced by European powers, that's just a fact and architecture is only a tiny bit of the story, the lifestyle, people and chaos will feel completely different.

You will find these places dotted around two of the most interesting localities of the city called Chapinero, Teusaquillo and Usaquen.

Some of my favourite haunts are 'Casa Babylon' and 'Petro se queda', precisely in these areas...

Casa Babylon 006 by Voodoo Souljah´s, on Flickr

by kekanto, https://kekanto.com.co/biz/casa-babylon

by ferwilber, https://acholombianos.wordpress.com/2014/02/
LOL "people dancing around with fruit bowls on their heads" ... My family is from the Caribbean ... Dancing with a Fruit Bowl on your head is an art , don't knock it until you try it ...

The other places you just mentioned seem interesting.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Default More interesting part ...

Quote:
You want to see poverty, well here you go...I have no qualms about it, PS: Teusaquillo and Chapinero are big areas, they probably make up 15% of Bogota, your statement of "99%" is obviously a pitiful attempt at trolling. Personally I don't take pleasure in ogling poverty but just to please you...voila

Luego de la Lluvia, Ciudad Bolivar, Bogotá, Colombia . by Cory Forero, on Flickr
This set of photos is more visually interesting to me and probably has more character going on within it. This might seem like a BS thing to say, but honestly I avoid over the top pretentious people in my own city. When going to places with a larger divide between the rich and poorest when around the wealthier areas like the places in the previous set of pictures you sent that I stated looked Europe, Canada or the USA the pretentious meter is usually going through the roof. If I meet anyone ... I want to meet regular people.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:52 PM

Default Poor or middle class?

Quote:

Would you really say these would be dwellings for poor people or just middle class people. If the poor are living in brick dwellings they are doing a lot better the most of the world's poor.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

LOL "people dancing around with fruit bowls on their heads" ... My family is from the Caribbean ... Dancing with a Fruit Bowl on your head is an art , don't knock it until you try it ...

The other places you just mentioned seem interesting.
Hey I love those things too and I'm not knocking it but that simply isn't Bogota, so not much that can be done about that.

Quote:
This set of photos is more visually interesting to me and probably has more character going on within it. This might seem like a BS thing to say, but honestly I avoid over the top pretentious people in my own city. When going to places with a larger divide between the rich and poorest when around the wealthier areas like the places in the previous set of pictures you sent that I stated looked Europe, Canada or the USA the pretentious meter is usually going through the roof. If I meet anyone ... I want to meet regular people.
The places I posted initially are actually abandoned by the upper classes since around about the 80's, the areas have seen better days and are in some disrepair precisely because pretentious people in Bogota don't value heritage. A lot have been knocked down to make way for boring condo apartments. Buildings that have been around since the 1920's are being brought to the ground.

Like it or not that is part of Bogota heritage and you'll find more pretentious people further north in their boring condos than in the areas I posted which are actually in decline and are only just beginning to be salvaged by creative young people. Your notion that these people are not "regular people" is a little condescending to me.

Quote:
Would you really say these would be dwellings for poor people or just middle class people. If the poor are living in brick dwellings they are doing a lot better the most of the world's poor.
Colombia is known as brick central, the material is abundant in the country and used in poor, middle and upper class buildings alike. As you can see in the picture caption it says "Ciudad Bolivar", that is the poorest locality in the city.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Default Regular people ....

Quote:
Hey I love those things too and I'm not knocking it but that simply isn't Bogota, so not much that can be done about that.

The places I posted are actually abandoned by the upper classes since around about the 80's, the areas have seen better days and are in some disrepair precisely because pretentious people in Bogota don't value heritage. A lot have been knocked down to make way for boring condo apartments. Buildings that have been around since the 1920's are being brought to the ground.

Like it or not that is part of Bogota heritage and you'll find more pretentious people further north in their boring condos than in the areas I posted which are actually in decline and are only just beginning to be salvaged by creative young people. Your notion that these people are not "regular people" is a little condescending to me.
I do not know what the details are of the spectrum of wealth and poverty are in Bogota. Ex What type of dwellings the typical person lives in. So maybe my choice of words was not appropriate and likely tainted by a really annoying experience I just had in a pretty high end area of my city this weekend. I have family living in Trinidad large beautiful modern gates houses while less then 30 minutes drive away there are people living in shanty towns using sheet metal to build homes. Was not trying to be condescending, but to highlighting a preferences towards associating with middle class people as I usually do not connect that well to people at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I do not know what the details are of the spectrum of wealth and poverty are in Bogota. Ex What type of dwellings the typical person lives in. So maybe my choice of words was not appropriate and likely tainted by a really annoying experience I just had in a pretty high end area of my city this weekend. I have family living in Trinidad large beautiful modern gates houses while less then 30 minutes drive away there are people living in shanty towns using sheet metal to build homes. Was not trying to be condescending, but to highlighting a preferences towards associating with middle class people as I usually do not connect that well to people at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
Thanks! I gave you a rep...but I think it's important to put your references of experience to one side when viewing a different country with a whole different history and series of events than your own.

It's a fact of life that developing countries have these stark differences between rich and poor, however the dynamics of Bogota are different in some aspects and a lot of the most attractive areas (mainly in and around downtown) are abandoned and some in almost disrepair. The pictures I posted earlier from my own collection are precisely of these areas that have been abandoned for 30-40 years and have only just experienced some intervention but there is still a long way to go.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Thanks! I gave you a rep...but I think it's important to put your references of experience to one side when viewing a different country with a whole different history and series of events than your own.

It's a fact of life that developing countries have these stark differences between rich and poor, however the dynamics of Bogota are different in some aspects and a lot of the most attractive areas (mainly in and around downtown) are abandoned and some in almost disrepair. The pictures I posted earlier from my own collection are precisely of these areas that have been abandoned for 30-40 years and have only just experienced some intervention but there is still a long way to go.

Those places in the pictures you took are abandoned? Why? They do not really seem run down to me? They look like typical Canadian middle class suburban areas at least in my city. That sort of throws me off. Someone like me walking around those 2 different areas would not really get that those homes would merit being abandoned? You should see the garbage people pay over 1 million for in my city lol. I guess views of realty different .

Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Those places in the pictures you took are abandoned? Why? They do not really seem run down to me? They look like typical Canadian middle class suburban areas at least in my city. That sort of throws me off. Someone like me walking around those 2 different areas would not really get that those homes would merit being abandoned? You should see the garbage people pay over 1 million for in my city lol. I guess views of realty different .
My pictures are precisely of the buildings that have been restored to a certain degree but you also get a lot of this in those same areas and that's of the one's that have survived, some are gone forever. You can easily nab some of the better condition (not these) 6+ bed houses for 200K Canadian and they're literally smack bang in downtown Bogota.

#Bogota : Ciudad Freak by Andres Colmenares, on Flickr

IMG_0189 by hector*1952, on Flickr

La 59. Chapinero, Bogotá. by Susana Carrié, on Flickr

LourdRed by Emilio Gutiérrez, on Flickr

Casa Chiapinero Bogotà C. by idea nomade, on Flickr

DSC00677 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Embajada Palestina, Bogota by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Bogota Panoramio 28125262i by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

City view of Bogotá by World Bank Photo Collection, on Flickr

Universidad ÁreAndina by Ander Ramírez, on Flickr

PD: Remember how I said Bogota feels like a poorer version of Hackney??

Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 PM

Default Cool....

Quote:
My pictures are precisely of the buildings that have been restored to a certain degree but you also get a lot of this in those same areas and that's of the one's that have survived, some are gone forever. You can easily nab some of the better condition (not these) 6+ bed houses for 200K Canadian and they're literally smack bang in downtown Bogota.

#Bogota : Ciudad Freak by Andres Colmenares, on Flickr

IMG_0189 by hector*1952, on Flickr

La 59. Chapinero, Bogotá. by Susana Carrié, on Flickr

LourdRed by Emilio Gutiérrez, on Flickr

Casa Chiapinero Bogotà C. by idea nomade, on Flickr

DSC00677 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Embajada Palestina, Bogota by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Bogota Panoramio 28125262i by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

City view of Bogotá by World Bank Photo Collection, on Flickr

Universidad ÁreAndina by Ander Ramírez, on Flickr

PD: Remember how I said Bogota feels like a poorer version of Hackney??
I have a love for renovating old/ run down places. If I was living there I would be trying to grab up property in this area. It seems to have a interest vibe. It reminds me of places in trendy areas of downtown Toronto. I love homes/ structure with old details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas