Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times

Advertisements

LOL The way you respond says a lot about you. All you do is complain and try to put others down. It seems like you think about the rest of central America quite a bit, as you can hardly make a post on here with out mentioning your northern neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Well I am glad you grew up knowing about Guatemala, but do you actually think people care about the Mayan culture? Hmmmm I am from this region and believe me, it doesn't call my attention, nor do I hear people here talking about it. A lot of people have won the Nobel Peace Prize, but that doesn't mean they become a world figure right away. Ask now about Rigoberta Menchu and most people won´t know who you are talking about.

When I answered your post, I didn´t call you names, nor disrespected you, on the other hand, I can see your education when you answered the way you did, yet you have the nerve to call me ignorant. Go back to your post and think about who came out looking as an ignorant person. If you want to think the way you do, hey it is your prerogative, but don't try to come here and tells us things that we surely know that aren't true.

Well I take my first post back, I have certainly heard about Guatemala, for example, the fact that it is a country which has maras, 50% of its population are living in poverty, it has delinquency, robbery, children prostitution, children living at the city dumpster and many more things, so yes, I can tell you that I have heard about Guatemala, my mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
^^

Agreed. I thing Tikal is pretty world renowned, not as much as Ankor Wat or Machu Picchu but definitely up there with the Golden Temples of India or Hungarian parliament.
Tikal is a pretty impressive place.
I think Chichen Itza is probably the most famous Mayan site. Tikal has had its moments in the spotlight though, including a very brief appearance in Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n3hb__gmAg

Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 PM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL The way you respond says a lot about you. All you do is complain and try to put others down. It seems like you think about the rest of central America quite a bit, as you can hardly make a post on here with out mentioning your northern neighbors.
I didn´t know your name was Rosa Surf now, but believe me, to me, Central America, ni fu, ni fa, it is none of my business, and I don´t try to put them down, they are down. Wow you have read all my posts as to say that I go around mentioning my northern neighbors, hmmmm whoever listens to you, believes it.

I only speak and post here what is on my mind, and the feelings we, Panamanians, have for those people, hey but if you like them so much, adopt 10 of them in your house.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I didn´t know your name was Rosa Surf now, but believe me, to me, Central America, ni fu, ni fa, it is none of my business,.
If its none of your business maybe try not giving an opinion next time. I know that might be hard for you in regards to your neighbors but please try. Thanks.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 12-02-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:

I only speak and post here what is on my mind, and the feelings we, Panamanians, have for those people, .
LOL How many Guatemalans does the average Panamanian meet? Ladies and gentlemen this is what we call bigotry. This guy/gal has only posted negativity towards his neighbors.

Its hilarious that this person would be so bold to put others down because from a North American perspective Panama doesn't look all that good. Nice beaches? a Canal? what else? Not putting it down but really.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Wanna hear sarcasm? Panamanians do not have restrictions on visas in the Schengen territory and if you look for info about it, Panama has business relations with Iberia, Air Emirate, Turkish airlines, KLM, Air France, Israel airlines, and the following are talking about coming Alitalia, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Singapore airlines and let´s not talk about the American and South American airlines, hey but who is to say?
Huh And what does that have to do with it? I'm not saying anything negative about Panama. You're the one that claimed and I quote, "I wonder who have earned themselves [Colombians] the reputation as to be hated and disliked everywhere they go."

I'm refuting that if Colombians are hated so much as you claim then how come Europe has scrapped Visa restrictions this week and how come Colombia has increased 500% in tourist arrivals in less than a decade? That wouldn't happen to hated people now would it? - Or maybe in folicure land?

Quote:
according to you, Colombia is the only one having a tourist boom...
Where did I say that? I said Colombia is experiencing a tourist boom because people around the world are fond of Colombia and Colombians. Not that it's the only country receiving a tourist boom although I challenge you to show me another country that has received nearly 500% more foreign visitors in less than a decade.

Quote:
We don't like them because we are not scared they might absorb us since they cannot do it. We were part of the Gran Colombia for 87 years only, now we have been a separate country for 112 years, So do you actually think they can absorb us? hahaha that was a good joke.
Did I say that Colombians were going to absorb Panama?
Although I must admit last time I was there, Panamanians were copying the whole Paisa haircut and even saying parcero. It was quite amusing how much Paisa culture they had absorbed.

Quote:
Hey but don´t take me wrong, I am truly happy Colombia got its entry to the UE with no visas, that way they migrate elsewhere and that will stop the migration to Panama.
Colombians have been migrating to Europe for decades - since the 70's.

Spain has the third largest Colombian diaspora in the world and UK the fourth largest only after the USA and Venezuela. Panama fights for 6th/7th place with Canada.

FYI: Colombia is also after the US, the largest contributor to tourism in Panama http://www.atp.gob.pa/sites/default/...io_de_2015.pdf as well as the second contributor to tourism in Florida and the fourth largest contributor to Mexican tourism, the latter two both global power houses in tourism. This just shows the growing purchasing power of Colombia. You can moan about them all you want but none-the-less they're contributors to your country's economy. Your opinion seems a little brattish to me, but hey as the OP said Panama is Colombia's Canada.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
y. Your opinion seems a little brattish .
That's a bit of understatement .

Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I grew up knowing about Guatemala because of its vast Mayan culture. Most people at least know that a) it exists and b) Mayan culture is deep there. Plus, Rigoberta Menchu brought lots of attention to Guatemala when she won the Nobel Peace Prize.

IMO, you would have to be living under a rock, or be intentionally ignorant to not know anything about Guatemala. I think the Central American countries that people know the least about are Belize, Honduras and El Salvador.
I remember knowing at an early age, the things you've mentioned about Guatemala. Others such as Xela, Atitlan lake and Antigua I found out later on thanks to the magic of the Internet. I suppose for us Guatemala is in our minds nos as much as Colombia and Brazil but certainly the same as Peru or even Argentina, because let's be honest it'll always be easier to interact with chapines than with most people in the rest of Latin America. For the average Mexican that is.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 AM

491 posts, read 752,932 times
Quote:
Spain has the third largest Colombian diaspora in the world and UK the fourth largest only after the USA and Venezuela. Panama fights for 6th/7th place with Canada.
País__Población__Puesto
Estados Unidos 908 734 1
Venezuela 684 040 2
España 289 296 3
Canadá 39 145 4
Ecuador 34 292 5
Chile 28 481 6
Italia 20 571 7
México 13 922 8
Argentina 13 876 9
Reino Unido 12 331 10
Costa Rica 22 500 11
Panamá 10 098 12
Australia 5002 13
Brasil 4159 14
Israel 3127 15

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigra...B3n_colombiana

Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 AM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If its none of your business maybe try not giving an opinion next time. I know that might be hard for you in regards to your neighbors but please try. Thanks.
Hmmm I thought this was a forum where people could post their different opinions, but if I only have to post wonderful things about a place or situation that I know is not so, please let me know, so you can be happy with it.

Last edited by folicure; 12-03-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas