Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 01:27 PM

3,996 posts, read 6,815,032 times

Advertisements

You want me to be honest? OK, I will be honest with you: crime in Brazil is currently totally out of control.

We are in full Mad Max mode.

Situation now is much, much worse than what it was 20 years ago.

Ironically, poverty in Brazil was reduced a lot compared to 20 years ago. So, no, reducing poverty didn't work to reduce crime. Actually, crime is worse now.

And sadly many Brazilians think that the magic solution for the problem is a military coup, with the military putting the tanks in the streets and taking care of the criminals. There is no serious debate about what can be really done to solve the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 03:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Sorry to hear that. Brazil is not alone in this. Venezuela, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and parts of Mexico have real bad problems with crime also.

I don't think putting military in the streets is a good long term solution. It might help for a little bit but in the long run it won't change much.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 PM

4,413 posts, read 4,308,165 times
That is sad. Brazil is a beautiful country that should be as developed as the U.S. If only it wasn't so corrupt and crime ridden.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:38 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,247,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That is sad. Brazil is a beautiful country that should be as developed as the U.S. If only it wasn't so corrupt and crime ridden.
The US is becoming more like Brazil.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:47 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,024,668 times
If Brazil would had been an ugly country, it would deserve to not be as developed as the USA, corrupt, and crime ridden.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 AM

9,378 posts, read 14,335,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

I don't think putting military in the streets is a good long term solution. It might help for a little bit but in the long run it won't change much.
Life is is a series of short runs, and right now it seems people there are worried about short-term survival.

Still, it's true that putting military in the streets is not a good long-term solution, but powerful people in Brazil neglected effective and sustainable long-term solutions many short-terms ago.

Hence the immediate problems today.

My father used to say, "the hard way becomes the easy way". But most people do not follow that advice.

Parabens!

Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,911,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
You want me to be honest? OK, I will be honest with you: crime in Brazil is currently totally out of control.

We are in full Mad Max mode.

Situation now is much, much worse than what it was 20 years ago.

Ironically, poverty in Brazil was reduced a lot compared to 20 years ago. So, no, reducing poverty didn't work to reduce crime. Actually, crime is worse now.

And sadly many Brazilians think that the magic solution for the problem is a military coup, with the military putting the tanks in the streets and taking care of the criminals. There is no serious debate about what can be really done to solve the problem.
This is very sad but to be honest I think Brazilians have a high tolerance for corruption and don't expect their politicians to behave and keep their promises. The other thing I notice is in general you are not a united people at all. This is too bad because I think in general I very much prefer Brazilian culture over China, India and some of the other places I wish the country would get their act together because I think you have a culture you can be proud of I would like to see some of it exported. I really don't like the cultures of some of the places that are currently rising. Brazil needs to get it's act together.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,103,937 times
Is this a country wide phenomenon at this point or is it region/ city specific? It is very disturbing that the people are looking to the military for answers as the military will be heavy handed in whatever they do and their repression will touch far more than the gangsters. I understand though. Sometimes people just get tired of all the murders. It is fascinating what has happened in Brazil over the last few years with all the corruption scandals. Such a change from the optimism of a few years prior. Distrust in politicians must be very high.

Be safe OP.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If Brazil would had been an ugly country, it would deserve to not be as developed as the USA, corrupt, and crime ridden.
Good lord of course not

Old 03-29-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The US is becoming more like Brazil.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas