Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Spent easter only in Chile and they certainly celebrated easter in a similar fashion to sweden or the U.S. My guess is that Latin America consists of DIFFERENT countries with all different traditions.
I get that. I am just probing to see how similar or different they are. I generally the feel I am getting is that level of observance to certain more traditional Catholic Values and rituals appear different then in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Spent easter only in Chile and they certainly celebrated easter in a similar fashion to sweden or the U.S. My guess is that Latin America consists of DIFFERENT countries with all different traditions.
Chile has strong catholic culture with intact traditions look at these procession I seriously doubt it if similar catholic tradiions can be found in sweden or in norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLeHXIIISmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA4UemCYuKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPazlseh6M

Old 01-16-2016, 02:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Thanks. I did not know the difference from Roman Catholic and Catholic either until I went to an eastern rite Catholic church for a few years.
In the 1950's Catholics who belonged to the Latin rite of the Catholic Church only received bread - and not the wine - at communion. Those of us who wanted to receive the sacrament under both species used to attend Catholic churches in one of the Eastern rites, which did give communicants both bread and wine at communion.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 AM

491 posts, read 753,809 times
cjester, Interesting videos, the first one is something about human rights, not easter. The others really show Chile's catholic heritage!

While living there I never saw nothing out of the ordinary for easter, just a lot of easter eggs and bunnies everywhere. There was this easter dinner, similar to the one we have in Sweden with fish as main course.

Regarding the easter procession in Chile, it was something I must have missed. I do however miss the easter processions in Sweden too. Last year was apparently the largest in Sweden's history.

Here is a religious procession in the U.S

Here are some easter processions in Sweden:

Nytt rekord för påskmarschen - P4 Gotland | Sveriges Radio

Sweden's Easter Witches - Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Easter - TIME

The lot of witches comes from our heathern traditions dating pre-viking times. I doubt this would be widespread outside of Sweden. (So I guess most countries have it's own spin on easter celebrations)

The spanish procession was incredible though, saw one near Valencia once.

Last edited by MrPilot; 01-16-2016 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-16-2016, 08:27 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
I've never heard of "holly week".

Old 01-16-2016, 08:38 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,224 times
Pilot,
There is absolutely no comparison between the processions in Chile versus the procession in Sweden. The ones in Chile are considered sacred; It is ritual to the beyond, the sacred is not part of this world, it goes beyond it.

On the other hand, the profane (the procession in Sweden) is just basic entertainment. (I think I even saw ronald mcdonald, as well as donald duck in that "procession". The profane does not mean anything negative, it just means hum drum, superficial entertainment; not sacred in any shape or form.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:31 PM

Default Secular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Pilot,
There is absolutely no comparison between the processions in Chile versus the procession in Sweden. The ones in Chile are considered sacred; It is ritual to the beyond, the sacred is not part of this world, it goes beyond it.

On the other hand, the profane (the procession in Sweden) is just basic entertainment. (I think I even saw ronald mcdonald, as well as donald duck in that "procession". The profane does not mean anything negative, it just means hum drum, superficial entertainment; not sacred in any shape or form.
In the city in Canada I live in we have a small parade, but it is secular and it is all about the Easter bunny. Ironically as a kid/ teen Easter and Christmas mainly meant family coming over for big meals and getting gifts. Birthdays, Christmas and Easter were the holidays you got the most amount of gifts. We never got anything even moderately religious as gifts. So seeing religious procession in my city would seem a little strange.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 AM

439 posts, read 522,193 times
Santiago de Veraguas, Panama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80A9KEBhENs

Montijo, Veraguas, Panama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUIf0uPeBJc

Aguadulce, Cocle, Panama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lryb1OUH-hQ

Panama City, Panama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPnmPh1s5DQ

Old 01-17-2016, 02:51 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
The technically correct term is "Catholic". The common term is "Roman Catholic". The Catholic church is made up of 23 or so co-equal rights. Of these, the Roman rite is by far the largest (the number of believers in the other rites are about 20 million in total). So, the Roman rite "Roman Catholic" gets alot more press.

Google Eastern rite Catholic or Marionite Catholic and you can learn about the other rites. Likewise, every large city has a few of their churches. They just tend to be smaller. They are also seperate from the Roman rite dioceses (and also autonomous from even the Pope on a daily basis), so they dont really participate alot in events hosted by say, the Roman Catholic diocese of city "X".

Also, if you watch You Tube footage of papal funerals, major conferences etc., you will ocassionaly see a man dressed like an eastern Orthodox Bishop. Often, these are Catholic bishops from one of the other rites.
Sorry to disagree with you, but I don't have a formal education in relgion as you.
Roman Catholic to my understanding is a denomination. The word Catholic means Universal or from the Greeks 'Whole' There are many many denominations who consider them selves 'Catholic'. Namely; Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans and Methodist. All because they consder them selves in direct line from St. Peter. Of course the Roman Catholics disagree with this because they believe they are the 'one and only ones in direct line'.
Actually Catholic with the meaning of Universal would mean "ALL Christians".

Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 AM

My personal use of the term "Roman" Catholic is probably related to the fact that the majority of kids I went to school with where Italian. Also at least in my family we have always referred to our religion as Roman Catholic. Interesting to know I could have dropped the Roman part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas