Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times

Advertisements

According to the WHO the virus will spread throughout America, only Canada and Chile will likely be spared.

What is worse, the virus has also been found in blood and semen, so it might spread even without mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:42 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
This is the first I've heard of it. BTW, I just got back from 10 days in Medellin last week (just in time for the snow). One thing to think about, Medellin is about 5000 ft up and is quite cool at night. I saw one mosquito while there, and of course the bastard found me!

Old 01-26-2016, 02:18 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
That pesky one mosquito!

In Bogota there are no mosquitos

Old 01-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Several countries including Columbia have advised women to postpone pregnancy till 2018. Seems they are hoping to have solved the problem by then, be it by eliminating the Egyptian mosquito or by developing a cure/vaccine. Brazil has launched a huge war on mosquitoes, which will involve almost a quarter million soldiers.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Hi all, I have a trip planned to Medellin, Colombia in a few weeks and I have seem a few articles from the CDC and others warming against travel to affected regions. While the majority of the cases were not in Colombia, a recent article came out today where British travellers who have come back from that region of South America have contracted Zika.

U.K. diagnoses 3 with Zika virus; CDC expands travel warnings - UPI.com

While there are no pregnant women in our group, is this still something I should be worried about?
It seems to be particularly dangerous to the fetus. So if no one is pregnant I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just remember to spray yourself regularly with insect repellent, which is something you should be doing anyway when travelling to warm climates.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Even as a man I don't want to contract such a disease, just like I don't want Dengue and similar diseases spread by mosquitoes. Dengue has also become a problem in Brazil.
I'm trying to imagine your over the top panic when the mosquito-spread West Nile Virus appeared in the USA for the first time about a decade or so ago. Since then mosquitos have been infecting people all over the USA with that disease that once was relegated to Africa.

Your kids are in great danger with this disease spread by mosquitos.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm trying to imagine your over the top panic when the mosquito-spread West Nile Virus appeared in the USA for the first time about a decade or so ago. Since then mosquitos have been infecting people all over the USA with that disease that once was relegated to Africa.

Your kids are in great danger with this disease spread by mosquitos.
I went to Africa and had no issues with mosquitos, but got home to Toronto and West Nile infected animals were being found dead. Just take the suggested precautions typically suggested for preventing mosquito bites.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM

Thought this was interesting...

After contracting Zika, new parents cope with a haunting diagnosis

I find it really silly how certain governments think suggesting that women delay getting pregnant as a precaution when in these same countries rates for unplanned pregnancies tend to be high? If poverty was not a deterrent ... good luck trying to get mosquitos to be a deterrent. I really question if they get how many children are conceived without being planned? To me this is indirectly a humorous run about way to say a few things that should likely have always been said.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 AM

The prospect of having a handicapped child is a pretty strong deterrent, unlike mere poverty.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The prospect of having a handicapped child is a pretty strong deterrent, unlike mere poverty.
Do they even have enough statistics to make this call at this time? There are always risks with pregnancy, but I am curious to know what % of births have actually had signs of negative impact as a results of this virus. I am also sort of curious as to why if this was going on in Africa it did not seem like a big deal until it started to occur in the Americas? At least for me since the last few weeks this is the first I am hearing about this issue. Handicapped is a broad term. I think that people should take this advisory seriously, but if you find out your are pregnant I am not sure you should jump the gun and assume your child will be born with a significant handicap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas