Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 PM

227 posts, read 437,661 times

Advertisements

Wow a lot of argentinian inferiority-complex here.

Maybe there's a reason because so many mexicans make fun of them (besides always losing in finals at soccer).

Argentina was a nice country 50 years ago. Now putting away some nice parts of Buenos Aires the whole country turned to a thirld world slum with a lot of poverty problems.

Chile on the other hand was poor and had a brutal dictatorship in the 80's but since then improved a lot. Now it's nice and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:20 PM

308 posts, read 237,375 times
From what ive read and seen about Peru,the Andes is a thoroughly backward region,inhabited by people living just as the ancient Incas did.Most people up there speak very little Spanish,live in 1 room houses,have no electricity,live a hard life are discriminated against by the urban middle classes,and die years younger.

Whether they wish to change is another matter,tradition is very important to them.Also is their the will from the Peruvian government to help them progress.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM

220 posts, read 172,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
From what ive read and seen about Peru,the Andes is a thoroughly backward region,inhabited by people living just as the ancient Incas did.Most people up there speak very little Spanish,live in 1 room houses,have no electricity,live a hard life are discriminated against by the urban middle classes,and die years younger.

Whether they wish to change is another matter,tradition is very important to them.Also is their the will from the Peruvian government to help them progress.
I would probably have the same idea if my main sources of information was the National enquirer or the Star rags. Many andean cities are doing fine and do not have anything to envy the so called "industrialized" crime ridden, and fog ridden english cities. Just the mild weather of these Andean valley cities is something to envy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clim...__GZ9XRz0lM%3A

Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM

81 posts, read 183,313 times
Call me ignorant but what is so bad about Argentina? I always thought of it to be a beautiful country but i really don't know much about its economic and political situation atm to be honest.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post

Btw Chile's healthcare is both free and privatized.

According to WHO, World Health Organization, there are no less than 40 countries between the higher ranked Chile and Argentina in healthcare system.
1. Chile is a transitioning country = yes

2. I heard someone say Chile is like Prague = No, Czech Rep. is higher in development, Chile is more like Hungary. Also Santiago contributes 44%!!! to the national economy, outside Santiago, development can be a different story altogether.

3. The difference in development between Chile and Argentina is not as abysmal as MrPilot and radiolibre like to point out. Argentina actually was a developed country once, Chile never has been.

4. I wouldn't boast about Chilean health care. Colombia is the highest ranked LatAm country in healthcare according to the WHO and its still lacking massive amounts.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,356 times
Quote:
You also have to consider stability, respect for rule of law, respect for contract law, taxes and personal safety in order to expect true development into an advanced economy.
My quote from a different thread and below, an example of why Latin America remains broken.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/wo...evictions.html

Old 08-18-2016, 03:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
My quote from a different thread and below, an example of why Latin America remains broken.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/wo...evictions.html
They knew they were getting into something dodgy yet went ahead anyway. It's more of an example of why those American and western European brains are broken. As if property fraud, land disputes and cowboy builders don't exist in those countries - pull the other one.

If the price sounds too good to be true in a land/tourist hot spot then it usually is.

Land tutelage is yet to be fully developed in Latin America, doesn't make it broken just underdeveloped.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,356 times
I don't feel particularly bad for those who invested. Anytime you invest in a Latin American country you run risks that are non-existant or extremely rare in developed countries.

This story has it all. Corrupt judges, questionable rulings, chorizo, fraud, disregard for contact law, just an overall lack of stability. You don't have these situations in developed countries, but they are not uncommon throughout Latin America. It takes more than GDP to be a first world country.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:24 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
I would say Chile and Uruguay. Argentina "technically" has the potential but it is it's own worse enemy.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:16 AM

762 posts, read 610,587 times
Costa Rica has a very high literacy rate, a thriving tourism industry, and great medical care. I've been to Argentina and had the time of my life. Buenos Aires to me reminded me a bit like Paris and Rosario was very nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas