Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times

Advertisements

Upon my many visits to Latin America, I've noticed how the southern cone of South America impresses me each time I visit. Since first starting in 2001 I've seen the changes. In my opinion Chile is the best poised to become first world followed by Brazil and Argentina if can get out of its crisis. But each year I travel to Chile I'm impressed by its level of growth. On paper it's supposed to be akin to Portugal or pre crisis Greece I believe.
Now this might be hard to believe for most US Americans but even on my travels to Mexico I've seen it grow too. It's economy boomed and I've seen it look more developed albeit still suffering some of the same issues. If it wasn't for the terrible cartel crimes it would be looked at more favorably. This is probably why Mexican immigration to the US has slowed.

But which Latin American nation is closest to the first? My money is on Chile. I read that Chileans don't need visas to enter the US anymore? That's pretty big if true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times
Potential every country of the world has. To develop its potentials is another story.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:30 AM

178 posts, read 184,817 times
Right now is Argentina.

The rest of the countries are going backwards, Chile included.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 PM

605 posts, read 669,242 times
Chile is the closest country in Latin America to reach first world potential if it has not already done so. Argentina used to be considered a first world country (with a GDP on par with the likes of Canada or Australia as recently as the 1950's) however Juan Peron (and later the Peronist Party as a whole with the likes of Christina Kirchner) have derailed the economy in addition to the financial crisis of 2001 which created a major setback. While Argentina does have a highly educated population and reasonably good infastructure, political corruption and instability are major obstacles for Argentina's path to a more developed economy.

Mexico has attracted alot of foreign investment thanks to NAFTA and other free trade agreements that have persuaded a lot of companies to open manufacturing plants there (ex both Ford, Fiat-Chrysler, General Motors, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagon, BMW, Audi, Nissan have manufacturing plants in Mexico) so that country has made a lot of progress over the years. If Mexico continues to encourage private investment along with making improvements in the infrastructure and educational system there I could reasonably say that it could reach developed county status perhaps 2030 or a bit later.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:04 PM

749 posts, read 855,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
On paper it's supposed to be akin to Portugal or pre crisis Greece I believe.
Some countries in Latin America have it better than others, but living condition in Chile or any other Latin American country overall falls fairly far behind what is considered standard in Portugal and Greece, even at the worst of the crisis.
To answer your question, what Latin American country has the potential to be a first World country? Quite frankly all and none. Many have large territories, generous natural resources, but terrible organization, violence etc etc. A few Latin American countries have a small part of their population enjoying living condition comparable to upper class Europeans or Americans, while the bulk of the populace have daily difficulties no different to that of an African.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM

30,346 posts, read 19,134,588 times
1. Chile - the closest currently and on a good trajectory....eastern side of Santiago is 1st world
2. Argentina - always the S. American country with great potential
3. Peru is on a good path right now but they will need to stay on that path without a major societal disruption for a couple decades.
4. Brazil has nice areas but the overall country, definitely not.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM

145 posts, read 160,295 times
These things are usually pretty highly correlated with education and ability to speak English. With that said, I would go with Argentina and possibly Brazil. Those two are sleeping giants IMO.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:37 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
1. Chile - the closest currently and on a good trajectory....eastern side of Santiago is 1st world
2. Argentina - always the S. American country with great potential
3. Peru is on a good path right now but they will need to stay on that path without a major societal disruption for a couple decades.
4. Brazil has nice areas but the overall country, definitely not.
3. Peru, you're kidding right! Peru is notoriously one of the poorer countries on the continent and on-top of that it's extremely centralised. Over 50% of the economy is produced by Lima and an immense portion of Lima is miserably poor. Now in reference to places outside Lima (apart from perhaps Arequipa and Cuzco), we're looking at extreme poverty in much of the towns/cities.

The coastal areas and the eastern areas of Trujillo (Peru's 3rd city). Cities like Chiclayo all the way down to towns like Chincha are horrendous in many places, more-so than most other LatAm major towns and cities.

Now, the point is not to put down Peru, it's an amazing country but there are many other LatAm countries ahead of it in infrastructure and development including Brazil.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 AM

30,346 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
3. Peru, you're kidding right! Peru is notoriously one of the poorer countries on the continent and on-top of that it's extremely centralised. Over 50% of the economy is produced by Lima and an immense portion of Lima is miserably poor. Now in reference to places outside Lima (apart from perhaps Arequipa and Cuzco), we're looking at extreme poverty in much of the towns/cities.

The coastal areas and the eastern areas of Trujillo (Peru's 3rd city). Cities like Chiclayo all the way down to towns like Chincha are horrendous in many places, more-so than most other LatAm major towns and cities.

Now, the point is not to put down Peru, it's an amazing country but there are many other LatAm countries ahead of it in infrastructure and development including Brazil.
I worked for 16 months in Arequipa (awesome city) which ended last December. What I said is that they are on a good trajectory and if they stay on path, they could be there in a couple of decades. mainly Lima, Arequipa, Cuzco...the rest not likely

Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked for 16 months in Arequipa (awesome city) which ended last December. What I said is that they are on a good trajectory and if they stay on path, they could be there in a couple of decades. mainly Lima, Arequipa, Cuzco...the rest not likely
Yes but the way you posted, it suggested you ranked Peru as being 3rd most likely to be developed. If that's the case your personal positive experience clouds your judgement to the economic and social facts in the entire country.

Even a country like Colombia with grave social problems is more developed than Peru. In Peru you don't have a second city like Medellin for example or indeed a sixth city like Bucaramanga, socio-economically one of the most developed cities on the continent. Nor is there an area like the coffee region with relatively high quality of life in three mid-sized cities; Pereira (8th), Manizales (11th) or Armenia (17th).

Let's not even mention Mexico, Brazil or even smaller states like Costa Rica and even to a certain extent Ecuador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas