Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:25 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times

Advertisements

Nobody mentioned Panama. It seems to be doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 01:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Nobody mentioned Panama. It seems to be doing well.
Panama I would say is prosperous but lacking somewhat in development.

It's like the UAE (i.e. Dubai) it's far more prosperous than much of Europe but countries like Spain are still more developed when it comes to infrastructure, equality, basic services and general quality of life.

Panama city has a good per capita that rivals Chile but even cities like Recife, Cali or Puebla are more developed in various respects. Also Panama has some regions lacking like the second city Colon and provinces like Ngäbe-Buglé.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 07-03-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Some countries in Latin America have it better than others, but living condition in Chile or any other Latin American country overall falls fairly far behind what is considered standard in Portugal and Greece, even at the worst of the crisis.
To answer your question, what Latin American country has the potential to be a first World country? Quite frankly all and none. Many have large territories, generous natural resources, but terrible organization, violence etc etc. A few Latin American countries have a small part of their population enjoying living condition comparable to upper class Europeans or Americans, while the bulk of the populace have daily difficulties no different to that of an African.
unaccurate. Compare the life expectancy, access to public services, infraestructure, etc, of both places. Quite different.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times
Uruguay.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:50 PM

145 posts, read 160,312 times
If you think Uruguay has 1st world potential then you have to also say Argentina has 1st world potential. Argentina will always be a "better" Uruguay.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
If you think Uruguay has 1st world potential then you have to also say Argentina has 1st world potential. Argentina will always be a "better" Uruguay.
Uruguay is better run than Argentina. Less corruption, among other things.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
unaccurate. Compare the life expectancy, access to public services, infraestructure, etc, of both places. Quite different.
Yes I agree. People on here keep saying Latin America is comparable to Africa, but if we compare the GDP and HDI of Latin American countries to those of Africa, we can see that LATAM is actually much better off.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:45 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Best chance to join first world IMO: Chile, Uruguay, Panamá, Costa Rica
Moderate chance: Argentina
(However, none of them are really "close" to 1st world)

Then, all the rest in the region, realistically impossible unless you think on a very long terms.

Its important to make clear that 1st world doesn't mean "major power". If we talk about to became a world power, then the obvious choices would be Brazil and Mexico.

And if we talk only about pure potential, then i think Argentina and Brazil are the ones wich have and always will have that potential to be great. In fact, because they history and so on, you might see them as a failed US alike projects of countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Yeah, true. Latin America is above Africa the same way Europe is above Latin America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
Remember, 1st world is not equal to world power or regional power. The are two separate concepts. Argentina is more important in the world than Uruguay, but in the other hand is easier to be more developed with less population. Its the same history of USA-Canadá comparison.

Last edited by marlaver; 07-04-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 12:46 PM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Panama I would say is prosperous but lacking somewhat in development.

It's like the UAE (i.e. Dubai) it's far more prosperous than much of Europe but countries like Spain are still more developed when it comes to infrastructure, equality, basic services and general quality of life.

Panama city has a good per capita that rivals Chile but even cities like Recife, Cali or Puebla are more developed in various respects. Also Panama has some regions lacking like the second city Colon and provinces like Ngäbe-Buglé.
Ngabe-Bugle is not a province, it is a comarca and Colon is being rebuilt. I have been to Recife and Cali and believe me, they are not more developed than Panama City.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Ngabe-Bugle is not a province, it is a comarca and Colon is being rebuilt. I have been to Recife and Cali and believe me, they are not more developed than Panama City.
Definitely not, but there are elements such as education, healthcare, transportation where cities like Cali and Recife supersede Panama city.

Although a substantial amount of investment has been plugged into Colon recently it's not even to the level of cities like Manta or Santa Marta. Still has a long way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas