Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It is...if only they had a better cuisine it would perfect.
You would think with all the tourism they get, that they would step their food game up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,003 times
Thoughts on the peace agreement in Colombia? Could the country finally shed it's reputation among outsiders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Politicians prometem converter a _______ en un país moderno para _______
is what is no news anywhere in Latin America.
I know which is why I was asking for specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Not Peruvian but very familiar with the politics. PPK has big plans, but a congress that is stacked against him. Nevertheless Moody's is projecting 6.5 percent growth by then and you can smell the excitement in the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I lived almost half of 2014 and all of 2015 in Peru and I was impressed with the trajectory peru is on....it is relatively safe (safer than most of Suda America), people are open to express themselves and it seems there is respect among different races, the economy has been improving and they have gotten some outside investments.

Much of the economic growth has been due to mining which is temporarily down but tourism and agriculture are pretty strong at the moment. They can continue to advance to become more like Chile if they maintain the peace and provide stability to get outside investors to invest in Peru.

I'm bullish on Peru but looking at the past, it has the potential for becoming unruly if rights, freedoms and economic opportunity for all Peruvians is not the goal.
Thank you for the responses. What are the PPK's plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Like I said, you can't rely on anything continuing forever in South America. 5-10 year cycles.
Well, I mean the past half century in Latin America was marked by military coups, left wing movements, and counter right wing movements which suspended a lot of democracies. Now they're recovering(Venezuela ) and none of them are developed enough to float their currencies. What they do now is switch over to the dollar peg their currency to a currency board and maintain reserves of the US dollar. What happens(to make it seem like those countries rock back and forth ever 5-10 years) is that for various reasons(bad policies and corruption) bank panics ensue and investors start calling in their loans and the region gets thrown into a slump. That's basically the story of the region in since the 80's-00's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
10 years ago Chile was doing much better than most countries, nowadays Chilean economy is doing so, so, growing at 1,5% this year.

there are protests because Chileans are now claiming things that they couldn't claim when the country was much poorer, like free, good quality college education, a public pension system, etc.

countries like Peru, Chile, Costa Rica, Uruguay and even Colombia have been very stable for the past 15-25 years.

I understand what you're going for with your comment about Chile but I think there are very good reasons for them to be protesting. Chile implemented many of its market(or neoliberal) reforms under Pinochet and while development occurred, many of the gains went to the top. That's why inequality in Chile is so astronomically high. They're not a social democracy though I don't know which direction they'll go in as they become more developed. That university program applies to the ultra poor and comes in the form of a check IIRC leaving out others in a country where university cost are high just like in the US. Their social security system is privatized and Chileans are wondering why they aren't seeing what they were promised. Administrative earnings are soaring and high profile political individuals are taking out more money than what's realistically possible.

(On a side: Teachers in Chile went on strike about privatization last year and it just so happens that teachers in Argentina are doing the same thing for that reason and for compensation due to hyper-inflation).

I think transparency, the rule of law that applies to everyone, and a strong middle class(that holds officials accountable, but isn't as vulnerable to populist sentiment) are good and what the region needs to develop. Right now, no country really has all three. If protesting makes the Chilean government more aware and responsive of the structural issues then I'm all for it.

Speaking of transparency and demonstrations, has anyone been following the Nisman case in Argentina?

Last edited by Octa; 08-24-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Quote:
It is...if only they had a better cuisine it would perfect.
At least they are not Chile. Chilean cuisine is just...sad

Old 08-25-2016, 06:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
At least they are not Chile. Chilean cuisine is just...sad
Lol I had American and Mexican friends who studied abroad in Chile, they all requested that food care packages be sent to them

Old 08-25-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Lol I had American and Mexican friends who studied abroad in Chile, they all requested that food care packages be sent to them
It really is that bad if there were restaurants in Peru that delivered to Valparaiso I would order from them every night!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
I heard chile has good empanadas.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I heard chile has good empanadas.
Well empanadas are always good. They're like pizza, even if they're bad, they're still good. But Chilean empanadas are probably the worst in Latin America too. The regular (pino) empanadas are tasty, but the dough is wrapped in a weird way, like the empanadas are purse shaped instead of crescent like in other countries, and it means it has a lot more dough-to-filling ratio as compared to other types of empanadas. The peruvian empanadas I had were better, even if Peru isnt famous for empanadas themselves

Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Well empanadas are always good. They're like pizza, even if they're bad, they're still good. But Chilean empanadas are probably the worst in Latin America too. The regular (pino) empanadas are tasty, but the dough is wrapped in a weird way, like the empanadas are purse shaped instead of crescent like in other countries, and it means it has a lot more dough-to-filling ratio as compared to other types of empanadas. The peruvian empanadas I had were better, even if Peru isnt famous for empanadas themselves
I think Peruvian food is like Mexican food- pretty much most of the food is tasty.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 AM

70 posts, read 70,813 times
Quote:
I think in terms of cuisine Chile is kind of the UK of Latin America. Their food is not as diverse and delicious as other countries in the region, however it's not bad either. Their food is pretty much filling comfort food, and some things are quite yummy like the asados and the seafood.

Chilean fast food is the **** though, it's awesome . The sandwiches, empanadas, completos, desserts, snacks, sweets and breads(Chileans love bread) are all great.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
I think in terms of cuisine Chile is kind of the UK of Latin America. Their food is not as diverse and delicious as other countries in the region, however it's not bad either. Their food is pretty much filling comfort food, and some things are quite yummy like the asados and the seafood.

Chilean fast food is the **** though, it's awesome . The sandwiches, empanadas, completos, desserts, snacks, sweets and breads(Chileans love bread) are all great.
Chile is like the UK of Latin America in general; crappy food, cold weather, introverted (by Latin American standards) people, but also very safe and stable. The only difference is the girls, British girls and Chilean girls are in opposite world when it comes to looks ;p haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas