Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
I don't find New York that attractive, it looks gritty for the most part. Los Angeles or Boston are way neater.
But New York is on a completely different level as a city than either Los Angeles or Boston.

Manhattan almost feels like it came from a more advanced civilization compared to what humans are normally capable of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 02:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I personally have no problem telling "scary" from safe. Especially in NYC.

It's called "street smarts".
I doubt it. I've never met someone who can accurately pinpoint a crime rate based on "street smarts".

Which neighborhood is more dangerous? What specifically do you see in these neighborhoods that allow you to make this determination?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8680...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-83.0457538

Old 09-16-2016, 05:27 PM

184 posts, read 235,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Bronx has a significantly lower crime rate than, say, San Francisco, or Boston, or LA. It has a MUCH lower crime rate than the Detroit and Memphis type cities. It's, for American standards, a reasonably safe urban area. It doesn't even have the highest crime neighborhoods in NYC.

Your "feelings" of whether or not an area is safe might not reflect actual levels of crime. Many of the highest crime jurisdictions in the U.S. are fairly leafy and suburban. The Bronx, with its concrete and tenements and housing projects, and huge minority populations, might be intimidating for someone not used to such a setting.
The Bronx is far more dangerous than LA, Boston and San Francisco. Wonder what you've been smoking

Old 09-16-2016, 08:26 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
The Bronx is far more dangerous than LA, Boston and San Francisco. Wonder what you've been smoking
Nope. The Bronx crime rate is far lower than all these cities. It isn't even close.

Crime rate in SF is nearly three times that of the Bronx. LA and Boston have roughly twice the crime rate.

As previously shown, not only are people clueless about relative crime rates via "street smarts" and observation, they even argue official govt. crime stats. NYC has an extremely low crime rate, and the Bronx doesn't even have the highest crime parts of NYC.

NYC is the safest big city in America, and the highest crime area in NYC is in the far reaches of Brooklyn, not the Bronx.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a06d580653e3

Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Whoooooooops! Looks like yesterday's bomb explosion is on a whole different level than the dodgy neighborhoods people have been worried out in this thread.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Whoooooooops! Looks like yesterday's bomb explosion is on a whole different level than the dodgy neighborhoods people have been worried out in this thread.
Crap. I named my daughter after that neighborhood.

Sending you a DM later. "They" won't let me rep you again.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:43 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I doubt it. I've never met someone who can accurately pinpoint a crime rate based on "street smarts".

Which neighborhood is more dangerous? What specifically do you see in these neighborhoods that allow you to make this determination?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8680...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-83.0457538

See, you haven't a clue about what "street smarts" are, so please, allow me to help you!

It is difficult to doubt that another person has, or is lacking, in a personal attribute, when you don't know that person. I can say with some assurance that we do not know one another.

In as much as I am not an anti-intellectual, because I happen to really dislike people who are anti-intellectual, and the general anti-intellectual, anti-education stream that flows with force the the US, I would have to say that "street smarts" are not something that can be learned in books, using power point, or links. It isn't a statistical thing. It's an intuitive, possibly psychic gift that some people have, some can hone, and others lack.

Here is a "True Crime" example. Earlier, I mentioned serial killer Ted Bundy, who was active murdering young women in the 70s and early 80s. He did not prowl "bad areas".
Bundy was in search of college girl types. In particular, wholesome young woman with long straight hair, parted in the middle. As a perpetual student, Ted loved college campuses, and places where clean cut college-types girls tended to congregate.

He himself was quite attractive. Preppy in type. He drove a VW Beetle. A preferred car, along with Volvos, among the college crowd of the day.
Bundy began his murder spree in Washington state. He prowled for women in places that were not gritty, or dirty. They were pristine and clean.

However, other than his last murder spree in FLA, which involved a break in at a sorority, he had to "pass for normal" to successfully lure women into his innocuous VW.

Tragically, some fell for it. They lacked "street smarts". Others escaped his ruse. While they were in clean safe, areas, they did not sense that something was "off" and they did not exercise caution.
They were in safe places - Sommamaish Lake State Park in Washington State in not a bad area. Yet Bundy lured several young women into his VW deathmobile - while others had a "funny feeling" and did not get into the car.

Why? It was a good area. Bundy was handsome and dressed well. But they "felt" something was "off" and they escaped their death.

Street smarts are individual and situational. They have nothing to do with crime rates or statistics. They do have to do with a certain type of wisdom about people, and how they act. What is normal and what is not, and could present a danger.

Theoretically, you could meet with danger, rape, violence, robbery or murder ANYWHERE. Simultaneously, one could also live in a gritty - or bad - neighborhood - and live unscathed. It's been done.

That is what I mean when I speak of "street smarts". You need them on the Upper East Side and Beverly Hills, just as much as in Alphabet City (NY) or Brownsville/East NY, Brooklyn.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default Bad things can and do happen anywhere ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
See, you haven't a clue about what "street smarts" are, so please, allow me to help you!

It is difficult to doubt that another person has, or is lacking, in a personal attribute, when you don't know that person. I can say with some assurance that we do not know one another.

In as much as I am not an anti-intellectual, because I happen to really dislike people who are anti-intellectual, and the general anti-intellectual, anti-education stream that flows with force the the US, I would have to say that "street smarts" are not something that can be learned in books, using power point, or links. It isn't a statistical thing. It's an intuitive, possibly psychic gift that some people have, some can hone, and others lack.

Here is a "True Crime" example. Earlier, I mentioned serial killer Ted Bundy, who was active murdering young women in the 70s and early 80s. He did not prowl "bad areas".
Bundy was in search of college girl types. In particular, wholesome young woman with long straight hair, parted in the middle. As a perpetual student, Ted loved college campuses, and places where clean cut college-types girls tended to congregate.

He himself was quite attractive. Preppy in type. He drove a VW Beetle. A preferred car, along with Volvos, among the college crowd of the day.
Bundy began his murder spree in Washington state. He prowled for women in places that were not gritty, or dirty. They were pristine and clean.

However, other than his last murder spree in FLA, which involved a break in at a sorority, he had to "pass for normal" to successfully lure women into his innocuous VW.

Tragically, some fell for it. They lacked "street smarts". Others escaped his ruse. While they were in clean safe, areas, they did not sense that something was "off" and they did not exercise caution.
They were in safe places - Sommamaish Lake State Park in Washington State in not a bad area. Yet Bundy lured several young women into his VW deathmobile - while others had a "funny feeling" and did not get into the car.

Why? It was a good area. Bundy was handsome and dressed well. But they "felt" something was "off" and they escaped their death.

Street smarts are individual and situational. They have nothing to do with crime rates or statistics. They do have to do with a certain type of wisdom about people, and how they act. What is normal and what is not, and could present a danger.

Theoretically, you could meet with danger, rape, violence, robbery or murder ANYWHERE. Simultaneously, one could also live in a gritty - or bad - neighborhood - and live unscathed. It's been done.

That is what I mean when I speak of "street smarts". You need them on the Upper East Side and Beverly Hills, just as much as in Alphabet City (NY) or Brownsville/East NY, Brooklyn.
I 100% agree that bad things can and do happen anywhere. The most dangerous people are often the ones you least expect.

I also agree that street smarts are pretty vital to have in a major city. Also there is a certain conduct you need to maintain especially as a woman. If you give off a vibe that you are not going to put up a fight or fight back men especially will test their boundaries with you. If you carry yourself like you are not scare and will get in the face of anyone who does try to harass you people usually won't push their luck with you. Also basic things like buying shopping. When I was younger I would not dare thing of negotiating prices... but with age and experience I feel much more confident negotiating prices. Also dealings with street people/ or people with severe mental illness. Living in cities that homeless people/ people with significant mental illnesses tend to gravitate too you need to develop the street smarts to deal with people that have these issues when on the trains, buses or walking in the city and to try and read how to react properly or you increase you odds of running in to problems.

As someone who spends a lot of time in the down town core of my city I can always tell when one someone is not from a major city. They appear nervous every time they see a homeless person and start handing out money to ever person who approaches them. When local people like me see this you just have to shake your head because as a person living in a city at least like mine you know more often them not it is a scam and or the money is just going towards feeding the person's addiction. You have to know how to navigate between who might actually need your help vs. someone running a scam. Ex if someone comes up to you in my city saying they lost their wallet and need to with some money to get the bus ... direct them to the bus driver as they have the authority to let them on for free and usually do in situations like that.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Break Dancing for instance is heavily influenced by capoeira which is from Brazil
Ha! Nonsense. Some break dancing moves may bear some resemblance to Capoeira but it is completely unrelated. Brazilians had nothing to do with 80s break dancing. The pioneers of break dancing likely wouldn't have even known what "capoeira" was.

Today's "Latinos" make history up as they go along. Almost every historical claim made about "Latinos" is a fabrication.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Ha! Nonsense. Some break dancing moves may bear some resemblance to Capoeira but it is completely unrelated. Brazilians had nothing to do with 80s break dancing. The pioneers of break dancing likely wouldn't have even known what "capoeira" was.

Today's "Latinos" make history up as they go along. Almost every historical claim made about "Latinos" is a fabrication.
Latinos might not have invented break dancing alone but they were influential to the early b boy movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72WK_7zfQYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egB8iZzw894

Rock steady crew, the greatest b-boy crew ever was mostly Latino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4J-EVxMcd0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas