Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The barter system common in Toronto and Los Angeles and such...works because there is so much materialism already, with societies completely centered on material accumulation. Many people in North America spend their entire lives shopping at malls and wal-marts to fill up houses with material garbage. It's just a certain way of living life, that is in hyperdrive in North America. It's not the same everywhere in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRO91BwlYo

IN GENERAL.....in places like Brazil/etc....you are dealing with Brazil's poorest 10% earns on average $76 per month.

So that iPad you are walking around with..is something they'd never be able to put enough money aside to get in their lifetime. And if someone took it from you, you'd just buy another one the next day.
Very true. I promise you if anyone is visting Toronto would be shocked at the stuff people just throw away or give away. I am not trying to justify this way of living, but this is the way it is for many people here hence why bartering works. If you have good business sense here you can get lots for very little or free. There are websites where people list stuff they are giving away for free. You can walk down streets and see signs in front of homes with boxes if items says please help yourself/ free items.

I love repurposing items like furniture and vintage fashion items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 AM

308 posts, read 237,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Vancouver is not Toronto and there is section that is riddled with crime, gangs, prostitutes and junkies. Totally messed up. Locals avoid the area so I have heard. Though I have never been to that par of Canada as it is far and expensive to get to. For the same time and money I could visit somewhere outside of Canada.

Please note I am not talking about wearing a nice silver chain. I am talking about wearing aroubd $50 thousand in Jewelry. Mind you most people would just assume it was fake or understand the value of the items being worn.

Regardless.... being limited to certain places ex private homes or malls for safety still seems to suck.

I likely should start being more cautious in my own city regardless. I might unknowingly be playing with fire.

The city has decided to spread the problems throughout the city rather then concentrate the in onr area so my area which had been fairly safe and low traffic is going to be getting to an arond 80 bed male homeless shelter dumbed here in the next while. Thankfully is not anywhere near my home, but around 20 to 30 minute walk. This likely means I will have to deal with a lot more concerning characters when taking public transit home. I am very honest to admit I am furious this shelter is being built. Nothings more attractive then having a bunch of homeless men that are mainly severly mentally ill or addicts roaming around your area of the city.
Think its the area you talk of where the fella i knew was robbed in Vancouver.Apparently its easy to stray into.

Walking around with $50 thousand of gold jewelry is like having a target on your back and im surprised even in Toronto its not been snatched at.Yes a lot of people may think its fake but there will be some willing to take the risk. I certainly wouldnt take it to any country with lots of poorer people.Even the police in some of these places wouldnt think twice about charging you with some imaginary offence then saying they will drop the charges for some gold chains.

As for the homeless shelter youre getting the chances are the crime rate wont really alter,mentally ill people dont steal anymore than anyone else,i do agree though that addicts will.It would probably be dodgier in the early morning as if they rob at night chances are the police will find them in the shelter, but during the day they could be anywhere selling it.Also they probably wont be on public transport,addicts always walk as they want every last bit of money for their drugs.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:00 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I don't feel particularly unsafe in LatAm, but maybe because I traveled to the safer countries (Chile, Arg, Peru, Uruguay). I did have scary experience in Lima when there were shots fired at the mall, but the good thing is that nobody was hurt, it was two retarded goons who decided to rob a bank in a well-policed area And the shooting was on the news for weeks after, which shows that this is not something that happens often. In Chile or Peru people aren't really afraid of getting mugged or assaulted, people are more afraid of being pickpocketed or duped, which sadly is a problem. In the US I feel more confident that I can go out to the street without someone swiping my wallet in a crowd or skimming my credit card data, in Chile/Peru I feel more confident that I can go out to the street without being mugged or harassed by a homeless person

Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Think its the area you talk of where the fella i knew was robbed in Vancouver.Apparently its easy to stray into.

Walking around with $50 thousand of gold jewelry is like having a target on your back and im surprised even in Toronto its not been snatched at.Yes a lot of people may think its fake but there will be some willing to take the risk. I certainly wouldnt take it to any country with lots of poorer people.Even the police in some of these places wouldnt think twice about charging you with some imaginary offence then saying they will drop the charges for some gold chains.

As for the homeless shelter youre getting the chances are the crime rate wont really alter,mentally ill people dont steal anymore than anyone else,i do agree though that addicts will.It would probably be dodgier in the early morning as if they rob at night chances are the police will find them in the shelter, but during the day they could be anywhere selling it.Also they probably wont be on public transport,addicts always walk as they want every last bit of money for their drugs.
So far I have been pulling off the Jewelry situation without any issues in Toronto. I dont wear expensive stuff when travelling for that same reasons you have mentioned.

Ironically in Toronto there is this specific park with lost of junkies and homeless people that is beside this street with some of the best places to buy resale jewerly in the city. So I have actually walked around there at least in the day without any issues. If you have your head phones on and are walking fast people dont usually approach you.

I think I also must look sketchy lol so people are less likely to bug me !

Getting robbed on public transit in Toronto is very unlikely because there are cameras even on many of the buses.

In my opinion a lot of the time people that are looking to rob someone especailly in cities where cameras are everywhere like Toronto they are looking for someone that wont put up as much of a fight. If you look like you will likely fight back you are more likely to get by passed for someone that appears more passive. I grew up in a rougher area of the city so I have developed a way to change my body language to ward off pesky people.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't feel particularly unsafe in LatAm, but maybe because I traveled to the safer countries (Chile, Arg, Peru, Uruguay). I did have scary experience in Lima when there were shots fired at the mall, but the good thing is that nobody was hurt, it was two retarded goons who decided to rob a bank in a well-policed area And the shooting was on the news for weeks after, which shows that this is not something that happens often. In Chile or Peru people aren't really afraid of getting mugged or assaulted, people are more afraid of being pickpocketed or duped, which sadly is a problem. In the US I feel more confident that I can go out to the street without someone swiping my wallet in a crowd or skimming my credit card data, in Chile/Peru I feel more confident that I can go out to the street without being mugged or harassed by a homeless person
Homeless people at least in Toronto are not scary because they are trying to rob you, it is because they are likely severally mentally ill or have addiction issues. I work with people severe mental health issues and addiction issues and when insight is poor people can very easily become violent without specifically beign triggered. Addicts are just desperate and will try to steal for any and everyone with little common sense.

That mall situation was just bad luck on your part ex wrong place.. wrong time. It could happen anywhere. Something like that happend in Toronto a few times over the year. It is actually someone being targeted though armed robberies do happen.

As someone who shops everywhere ex second hand stores to high end stores. Most high end stores have security on hand. I shop at a few stores in the city that you actually need to be buzzed in to and let in my security because they keep their doors locked and only let in so many customers at a time. Those are mostly stores that sell jewelery or designer bags.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
My perspective on this subject comes from my forty-one years in law enforcement (20 NYPD, retired as a lieutenant, 20 chief of police in a small Cape Cod town). Every geographical area requires a different approach to personal safety. Let’s take New York City for example. If you were to look at a “crime map†of the city you would soon discover that some sections of NY are virtually devoid of violent crimes, while others have such events quite frequently.

Why the difference? Combinations of poverty, cultural clashes, local mores, street predators seeing ready victims and taking advantage of an immediate opportunity.

The OP implied an interest in visiting or living in a poor country, but enjoying the advantages of a person who has some items of worth they wish to continue to possess and avail for themselves the pleasure of their use. Consider for a moment. You’re in a strange country, you are “wealthy†(at least in the eyes of the locals) by that nation’s standards, you are very vulnerable (you don’t speak the language, and the local police are likely not terribly competent, nor interested in your problems). You are thus, a perfect victim.

How to avoid being the victim of either a larceny (unlawful taking) or a robbery (larceny by force)? Be the “gray person.†Don’t stand out. Don’t walk around in a daze. Don’t wear jewelry or watches. Have a minimal amount of money on you.

To be quite frank, my final suggestion would be, don’t put yourself in such a situation in the first place. Avoid visiting dangerous areas if you wish to lead a trouble-free life. Less adventurous, but much more stress free.

Rich

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
My perspective on this subject comes from my forty-one years in law enforcement (20 NYPD, retired as a lieutenant, 20 chief of police in a small Cape Cod town). Every geographical area requires a different approach to personal safety. Let’s take New York City for example. If you were to look at a “crime map” of the city you would soon discover that some sections of NY are virtually devoid of violent crimes, while others have such events quite frequently.

Why the difference? Combinations of poverty, cultural clashes, local mores, street predators seeing ready victims and taking advantage of an immediate opportunity.

The OP implied an interest in visiting or living in a poor country, but enjoying the advantages of a person who has some items of worth they wish to continue to possess and avail for themselves the pleasure of their use. Consider for a moment. You’re in a strange country, you are “wealthy” (at least in the eyes of the locals) by that nation’s standards, you are very vulnerable (you don’t speak the language, and the local police are likely not terribly competent, nor interested in your problems). You are thus, a perfect victim.

How to avoid being the victim of either a larceny (unlawful taking) or a robbery (larceny by force)? Be the “gray person.” Don’t stand out. Don’t walk around in a daze. Don’t wear jewelry or watches. Have a minimal amount of money on you.

To be quite frank, my final suggestion would be, don’t put yourself in such a situation in the first place. Avoid visiting dangerous areas if you wish to lead a trouble-free life. Less adventurous, but much more stress free.

Rich
I get what you are saying. When I travel I do everything you suggested because I dont want to stand out.

I personally think I would be very unsatisfied if I had nice stuff and could not wear out on a normal basis because I would be scared of getting robbed so for me I guess I should remember that if I ever consider moving. Also being in Toronto not as many guns floating around. Getting robbed at gun point vs by knife seems like a whole different situation.

Regardless a lot of the items I am wearing were purchased with in under 2 years and I will likely get bored of wearing them in a few months and they will get shoved in a drawer or sold.

All of this was inspired by my recent visit to Colombia. In both cities I saw amazing extremely expensive jewelry ex that solitar princess cut emerald 2 cart plus ring in the window of Tiffanys in Bogota plus the loads of other shops selling very high quaility jewerly. Who that heck is buying it and wearing it especially if the risk to get robbed is so high.

The beautiful ring is just going to sit there wasting away in that window or in some rich ladies jewelry box when it could be out and about roaming the streets of Toronto parked on my hand ! Wow the fun I would have randomly pointing at stuff with a 2 cart plus emerald ring on my hand !

P.S. If anyone living in Bogota happens to be walking by Tiffany's let me know if that ring is still there. I want to know how much it actually cost ... in case I accident stumble across a lot of money I need spend really fast.

This ring was also the inspiration behind my do Colombian women get emerald engagement rings thread/ question.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Homeless people at least in Toronto are not scary because they are trying to rob you, it is because they are likely severally mentally ill or have addiction issues. I work with people severe mental health issues and addiction issues and when insight is poor people can very easily become violent without specifically beign triggered. Addicts are just desperate and will try to steal for any and everyone with little common sense.

That mall situation was just bad luck on your part ex wrong place.. wrong time. It could happen anywhere. Something like that happend in Toronto a few times over the year. It is actually someone being targeted though armed robberies do happen.

As someone who shops everywhere ex second hand stores to high end stores. Most high end stores have security on hand. I shop at a few stores in the city that you actually need to be buzzed in to and let in my security because they keep their doors locked and only let in so many customers at a time. Those are mostly stores that sell jewelery or designer bags.
Yup the mall situation was just wrong place wrong time. Another time when I was getting my driver's license in NYC, there was a shooting in broad daylight outside that DMV the very next day! Not only that, but it was the same exact time as when I had my test...so if my test was scheduled for the next day, I could've very easily ended up in the middle of it. Wrong place wrong time, you can't do anything about it

Even if a high end store in Manhattan or the center of a busy city doesn't have security, it's still a very very very very very stupid idea to rob it. There are police almost everywhere in these places. You have to be crazy to think there is a chance of making an easy escape

Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
All of this was inspired by my recent visit to Colombia. In both cities I saw amazing extremely expensive jewelry ex that solitar princess cut emerald 2 cart plus ring in the window of Tiffanys in Bogota plus the loads of other shops selling very high quaility jewerly. Who that heck is buying it and wearing it especially if the risk to get robbed is so high.

The beautiful ring is just going to sit there wasting away in that window or in some rich ladies jewelry box when it could be out and about roaming the streets of Toronto parked on my hand ! Wow the fun I would have randomly pointing at stuff with a 2 cart plus emerald ring on my hand !

P.S. If anyone living in Bogota happens to be walking by Tiffany's let me know if that ring is still there. I want to know how much it actually cost ... in case I accident stumble across a lot of money I need spend really fast.

This ring was also the inspiration behind my do Colombian women get emerald engagement rings thread/ question.
You just made the assumption that all people from a country are all poor.

Generally, all poor countries have an enormous poor class, but also a very rich and wealthy class. Particularly since if you have access to money in a poor country, your money goes really far.

The rich in places like Bogota, would think nothing or regularly flying to Miami to do shopping. In short, there is definitely money in every city in the world, held by someone or another. So something of high value, can always be bought by someone.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You just made the assumption that all people from a country are all poor.

Generally, all poor countries have an enormous poor class, but also a very rich and wealthy class. Particularly since if you have access to money in a poor country, your money goes really far.

The rich in places like Bogota, would think nothing or regularly flying to Miami to do shopping. In short, there is definitely money in every city in the world, held by someone or another. So something of high value, can always be bought by someone.
Nah, she didn't make that assumption. The whole premise of this thread is about rich or comparatively rich people living in poor or relatively poor, comparatively more violent countries. You misunderstood her post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas