Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yup the mall situation was just wrong place wrong time. Another time when I was getting my driver's license in NYC, there was a shooting in broad daylight outside that DMV the very next day! Not only that, but it was the same exact time as when I had my test...so if my test was scheduled for the next day, I could've very easily ended up in the middle of it. Wrong place wrong time, you can't do anything about it

Even if a high end store in Manhattan or the center of a busy city doesn't have security, it's still a very very very very very stupid idea to rob it. There are police almost everywhere in these places. You have to be crazy to think there is a chance of making an easy escape
That is the thing you just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You just made the assumption that all people from a country are all poor.

Generally, all poor countries have an enormous poor class, but also a very rich and wealthy class. Particularly since if you have access to money in a poor country, your money goes really far.

The rich in places like Bogota, would think nothing or regularly flying to Miami to do shopping. In short, there is definitely money in every city in the world, held by someone or another. So something of high value, can always be bought by someone.
No. I did not make that assumption. I am very well aware of that. When I was in Florida the outlet malls where filled with tourist from Central and South America that were buying suits cases and filling them with stuff to bring back ( so was I lol ). Things are just way cheaper in the USA. I have family in Trinidad and freinds with family in Central and South that do the same thing. I also do the same thing ( but stopped due to the bad exchange rate). I came back from Colombia with a small suit case full of coffee ... but I wish it was filled with Emerald lol!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

Now if I live somewhere and I had nice things and could not wear them outside without being robbed then what would be the point of having nice things?

Ex Say you had a really really nice engagement ring, but you live in a city where crime is high and chances are walking around outside wearing it you put your self at risk for getting your fingers cut off because someone would likely try and steal it.

Do very wealthy people in parts of the Americans have to live very sheltered lives to maintain safety?

I know with certainly I would not be safe walking around in Trinidad the way I do in Toronto. It would be very dangerous. I would be asking for trouble. Though I know in places all over Americas there are very wealthy people that have very nice stuff. Do they have to be wealthy enough to have security with them always? Or take a lot more percautions when out then the average person .

I like nice stuff... but I am not willing to DIE to wear it.
those people with really nice stuff live in houses with gates and walls and security cameras. They leave in cars. Their rich people neighborhood is either guarded or so safe, that they can walk their dogs without fear. If they live in a big city in an apartment, they don't walk around their area, they get in their car in the underground garage and drive out of there. They take the valet at restaurants. They are pretty safe in malls. When they come out of a club, their car or a cab is waiting.

I think I am more prone to being robbed with my cheap jewelry in a crappy neigbhorhood where I walk around than a rich person in their environment because their every day routine leaves little room to getting robbed.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
those people with really nice stuff live in houses with gates and walls and security cameras. They leave in cars. Their rich people neighborhood is either guarded or so safe, that they can walk their dogs without fear. If they live in a big city in an apartment, they don't walk around their area, they get in their car in the underground garage and drive out of there. They take the valet at restaurants. They are pretty safe in malls. When they come out of a club, their car or a cab is waiting.

I think I am more prone to being robbed with my cheap jewelry in a crappy neigbhorhood where I walk around than a rich person in their environment because their every day routine leaves little room to getting robbed.

You hit what I was thinking on a nail with what you said.
They have to live very gaurded lives.
Who the heck wants to have to have so much of where they go and when they go planned outed.
Also for example if I pay $50 000 for a really nice piece of jewelery, but have to hired a body guard to wear it out in public then that is just crazy. My $50 000 purchase is going to cost me $100 000 to wear?
That is messed up. Then on top of that I have to only eat or shop places that are really expensive or I am going be at risk for being robbed again? I wont have money left to buy anything after I pay for security and pay all these extra costs associated with only being able to shop and go to expensive places.

So short you are getting robbed either way lol !

For someone in a city like mine if we had to pay for all these extra they we would never be able to pay for the actual item. My pre-existing fairy safe environment allows me the extra cash to buy nice things ! My security system is my smart phone and my make up bag ! Anyone trying to seal stuff from my bag is likely going to get injured. I got a some viscious tweezers in there and a few other random pointy objects that could do some serious damange !

Old 09-15-2017, 03:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
You hit what I was thinking on a nail with what you said.
They have to live very gaurded lives.
Who the heck wants to have to have so much of where they go and when they go planned outed.
Also for example if I pay $50 000 for a really nice piece of jewelery, but have to hired a body guard to wear it out in public then that is just crazy. My $50 000 purchase is going to cost me $100 000 to wear?
That is messed up. Then on top of that I have to only eat or shop places that are really expensive or I am going be at risk for being robbed again? I wont have money left to buy anything after I pay for security and pay all these extra costs associated with only being able to shop and go to expensive places.

So short you are getting robbed either way lol !

For someone in a city like mine if we had to pay for all these extra they we would never be able to pay for the actual item. My pre-existing fairy safe environment allows me the extra cash to buy nice things ! My security system is my smart phone and my make up bag ! Anyone trying to seal stuff from my bag is likely going to get injured. I got a some viscious tweezers in there and a few other random pointy objects that could do some serious damange !
They don't know any other life, for them this is normal.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
They don't know any other life, for them this is normal.
That is so true and I guess can be said about anywhere.

I just finished watching a movie at the Toronto International Film Festival that triggered the same thinking.
It is always much easier to be critical and objective about something else when you are an outsider.

When you are in the mix of things day to day it is hard to really processes things that just seem normal to you.
It took be going to Bogota to see street art and really take notice of all the street art in my own city.

Ironically when I was there I had a moment where I wondered by local people did not take more notice of all the beautiful art work that is surrounding them... but when I got back home I realized I was doing the same thing.

I have no idea why I am thinking this ... but something tells me that Emerald Ring in the Window at Tiffany's in Bogota and I will cross paths again ! Maybe someone will create a Breakfast at Tiffany's remake in Bogota and I will be the character eating her churros bought at a local food cart from a white paper bag staring in to their window smiling and day dreaming !

Best things about Bogota in pictures ...

.... perfect day in Bogota me wearing that beautiful ring eating those yummy churros while looking at street art !

Last edited by klmrocks; 09-15-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 02:31 PM

426 posts, read 351,886 times
Quote:
This question has been circling around in my head so I might as well just ask.
I live in a city where walking around and talking public transit while wearing nice thingshas never placed me at any risk of getting robbed ( or I have never been robbed).

Now if I live somewhere and I had nice things and could not wear them outside without being robbed then what would be the point of having nice things?

Ex Say you had a really really nice engagement ring, but you live in a city where crime is high and chances are walking around outside wearing it you put your self at risk for getting your fingers cut off because someone would likely try and steal it.

Do very wealthy people in parts of the Americans have to live very sheltered lives to maintain safety?

I know with certainly I would not be safe walking around in Trinidad the way I do in Toronto. It would be very dangerous. I would be asking for trouble. Though I know in places all over Americas there are very wealthy people that have very nice stuff. Do they have to be wealthy enough to have security with them always? Or take a lot more percautions when out then the average person .

I like nice stuff... but I am not willing to DIE to wear it.
My moms friend carries a rifle with him every time he goes to any bank in Dominican Republic lol. I haven't been there since I was a kid but I would not bring my iPhone, computer or any jewelry if I go there. I would get a cheap prepaid phone if I go. I hear that people also like stealing sneakers which wouldn't be a problem for me since I barely wear sneakers. I know someone that had their birthday cake stolen out there. Something like that would get me really really pissed off. Nobody messes with cake!!!

The city I live in has crime here In the North America but even so I always like to be aware of my surroundings because a lot of creeps out here steal phones and assault women. I don't wear much jewelry so I would just have to watch out more when I take out my phone or money. It helps that I live in a good area and I like to go to other areas that are safe. I tend to avoid the horrible areas filled with gangs and violence.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 AM

Default .....

Re the DR.... I have not been, but I wonder if it is a lot worse outside of the tourist areas. Lots of Canadians vacation there and I dont hear too much negative feedback.... but they likely dont leave the resort.

I think I also look mean or crazy enough to flight back if someone tried to rob me. Yesday I bought jewelery from this store and decided to walk somewhere through ana with a lot of lan handlers that are usually drug addicts and was holding that bag to my chest lol. I forgot to asm the guy to give me the jewelry in a pouch so I could slip it in my purse vs the box in my bag and if some grabbed that bad which would be easy I would be out $1100 bucks. I have several addicts bugging me for money for a while when trying to get on the subway. These guys are well dressed and look so strung out and bugging people for money. I eventually took off my headphones to see what line he was going to pull. I think my future reply rmight have to quite 50 cent with ... " B**** I dont know what you heard about me ... you cant get a dollar out of me etc". I would rather burn my money then give 1 cent to a conartist or addict.

QUOTE=Yourgermanicanish;49545981]My moms friend carries a rifle with him every time he goes to any bank in Dominican Republic lol. I haven't been there since I was a kid but I would not bring my iPhone, computer or any jewelry if I go there. I would get a cheap prepaid phone if I go. I hear that people also like stealing sneakers which wouldn't be a problem for me since I barely wear sneakers. I know someone that had their birthday cake stolen out there. Something like that would get me really really pissed off. Nobody messes with cake!!!

The city I live in has crime here In the North America but even so I always like to be aware of my surroundings because a lot of creeps out here steal phones and assault women. I don't wear much jewelry so I would just have to watch out more when I take out my phone or money. It helps that I live in a good area and I like to go to other areas that are safe. I tend to avoid the horrible areas filled with gangs and violence.[/quote]

Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I just visited a Northeast US city which, while beautiful, has very aggressive homeless people. Walking down the street it feels more dangerous than quite a few Latin American cities Ive been to

Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I just visited a Northeast US city which, while beautiful, has very aggressive homeless people. Walking down the street it feels more dangerous than quite a few Latin American cities Ive been to
Which city?

I have been hearing a lot of once nice peaceful cities in the USA have huge problems with drug addictions and a result aggressive street people.

Even in Toronto most of the pan handlers have addiction issues. I know because many of them are clients I have worked with or act like clients I have worked with.

In my city 99% of the time people that are homeless it is because they will not stop abusing drugs/alcohol which is required to get assistance for shelters. Also often they are getting government disability cheques and pan handling to get extra money for drugs and alcohol or both. So giving them money just enables them to stay on the streets and continue their addictions rather then being forced in to a situation where they can actually get treatment for their addictions.

When dealing with addicts you need to be firm and stand your ground. If they think they can intemidate you they will try and rob you if no one is around or they see a window of opportunity. All they care about is getting money to get their drugs regardless of who they harm in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas