Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
The rifle comment I made was just about one person I know that says he carries it around because he's been robbed before when he came out of a bank in Santo Domingo. I don't know anyone else who does that. I almost had my phone stolen here in the U.S. By a puertorican guy and another time by a Dominican guy. I figure if they do that here in the states that makes me think it will be way worse in Latin America. That's why I stay in good areas only and don't venture out into the areas that aren't safe anymore. They don't care where I'm from etc if I'm seen as a target that's it. That's why I prefer to play it safe, if I have to be in a neighborhood that isn't safe or if I travel to a country that has a high crime rate then I won't bring my laptops, iPhone or any jewelry that I think is valuable. I would prefer using a cheap phone and just go more casual.
Regarding the Caribbean in general places like PR, DR, Hati, Jamacia and Trinidad due have high crime rates so I can believe some of what shdchas stated. When people are that poor .... the temptation to steal something like a cake is higher. When I was a kid in Trinidad my aunt lived in port of spain. There was this grave yard the the back of her home share a wall with. It was a wall made of of corrigated tin. The property has iron gates with spikes around it and the windowns all had barsover then which is common there. Between the front porch of house and the main road was the length of 2 or 3 cars. There where 12 guard dogs roaming the property that where loose and the property was around 50 by 150 feet so the dogs where never far. People would still jump over her fence to still pants like alovera off the porch and try to sqeeze through the wall between the cemetary and her yard to steal coconuts, mangoes and avacados.... so theft like this happens. People do get swarmed and robbed of their shoes/ clothes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Which is why Miami and New York are the capitals of Latin America, where those who can afford nice stuff keep their nice stuff.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabaza dream View Post
I guess it depends on the country but most wealthy people don't hang out where the poor do. It's actually harder for those living in poor areas to wear anything that has some value. It's the same here in the US, hang out in a poor high crime neighborhood at night and you will probably lose your gold chains. Thieves are lazy, they rather steal from their neighbors than use public transportation to get to a nicer area. Also nicer areas tend to have more security guards and police officers. Not that different from US close gated communities with security guards.

Things with more value like cars have insurance. It's part of the lifestyle there. If you can afford a nice car, you should able to afford an insurance policy.

Those islands you described remind me South Africa where properties look like prison facilities. I have heard horror stories. Neighbors getting killed during robberies. It sounds worse than many places in continental Latin America.
The bars on windows and high fences in properties aware common in middle classes and up neighbourhoods in the places I ask familiar with in the Caribbean or North Africa in major cities and the outskirts. It is a problem because it can cause entrapment in your home if there is a fire. I had a family member that lived in this huge old home in a very nice area in Port of Spain which did require high iron fences and barred windows for safety. A fire broke out in the home but one of the children .... a little girl got trapped in a room. The fire was on one side blocking the door and the bars were on the window that was her only hope of getting out. They tried to get the bars off to get to her.... but they couldn't and she burned to death in the fire. So the bars can be dangerous. I would not want them in my home.

I had a freind from Costa Rica who comes from wealth family in Central America. Her Lawrence a pretty bohemian so they tended to live in more middle class areas but had a house keeper-/ nanny and stuff like that. One day her a freind we waaalking somewhere and they got robbed at gun point. They where teenagers at the the time. Ever since that get gets totally frozen in fear when strangers approaach her suddenly. We were together walking late a night in Madrid and this lady jumped out of this car that had a group of guy in it and started running up to us to ask us something and she just frozen in terror. I had no idea what the women was saying but started to pull my freind and shoo the lady away using the little Spanish I knew. The look on my freinds face alone scared me. She was frozen and look terrified

Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabaza dream View Post
I would have been terrified to in that situation especially if I didn't speak Spanish. The language barrier makes things far more scary.

I also hate bar Windows. They do trap people. I rather lose some items than be trapped in a house fire.
Exactly. It might sort of be a metaphore at least to me regarding living in certain places that are beautiful, but have high crime rates. I could likely have a way more beautiful home, but I would have to be so cautious all the time I would be "barred" in to my situation and if you are use to more freedom then it likely is not worth it.

It the situation in Madrid it was confusing because I was not sure what they were saying and my freind who spoke Spanish looked horrified. I grew up in a part of my city where getting followed home by guys/men was pretty common and I had been many situations where people was suddently approached me in an uncomfortable way. I did what worked in the past. NEVER stop, keep on walking so they can't literally block or surround you. If you are moving you may have the hope of moving towards someone who can help you. Say what you can with words or body language to act like you would be comparably difficult/fight back if someone tried to mess with you (while in your head trying to figure out what around you could be of help ex glass bottle, sharp object in your bag... approaching taxi or bus you could flag down etc) and STAY AS far back from the car or an area you could be pulled in to. Luckily they went away shortly after or as other people where appoarching the area. My freind said something to the effect that they were trying to get us to come to the car and help them find something or to go with them somewhere. It was just wired. As an adult female I have learned to look meaner when peopel approach me so they know I am not putting up with any BS. I think when you act and look more mousie/ timid people are more likely to think you may be an easier target.

Last edited by klmrocks; 10-13-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Default ......

[quote=Calabaza dream;49842167]I think in some countries Latin America when strangers approach you late at night they tend to use violence and ignoring them can cost you your life. Criminals there don't have a problem stabbing you or hitting you for a watch or a purse. I don't understand why people are so violent there. In Madrid they were probably just trying to be funny or trying to score with some foreigns. I understand her reaction but I like you said she should have kept on walking.[/quote]

I have no idea because I don't know if my freind was over reaactiing based on her own tramatic experience and she assumed the worst because I don't speak Spanish so I have no idea what the lady was saying. I was just reacting based on my freinds reaction. Regardless ... people that drive kill me. They never clue in to how uncomfortable it is when they suddenly apporach someone walking. It always use be freak me out when people over and suddenly offer you a ride. This not common or seen as safe where I am from. We are taught from a younge age never to take rides from people we don't know. I have had a few men do that to me recently over the last few months and it was like are you bloody crazy? It is raining not a monsoon... I will take my chances walking home and getting wet. Thanks, but no thanks . Nice gesture... but a really dangerous off. I now live in a part of my city that had a serial killer/ serial rapist in the 90s and it is less densly populated then some other parts of the city...... so the last thing anyone should do is approach someone walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas