Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
People get used to it...the weird precautions that seem excessive to you seem normal to them...they also just won't get extremely fancy stuff...if you get too used to the relative safety of Toronto, moving to a high crime nation or metro area will seem oppressive without some great enticing thing e.g. national pride, great economic opportunity to offset it. Yes they live sheltered lives but its normal to them.

Also, why assume they don't use nice things? Luxuries just may be different. It may be dangerous to walk around with a nice engagement ring like you could do in Toronto, but in Trinidad, all those rich folks can go to an exclusive party on a private access beach in Tobago every week. You can't do that in Toronto. People find a way to make it work. When it gets too bad, they leave.

True. Everywhere worth going to ex nice parties, nice restaurants, nice hotels, casions has hardcore secuirty in Trinidad. As someone living in a city when you next to never see someone holding a fire arm seeing the guards in military uniform holding MACHINE GUNS outside my hotel in Port of Spain was very uncomfortable. Here things don't seem as exculsive. On the weekend I was in the top level seats at a concert and you could totally not know that these people spent more on their tickets by the way they dressed. I was sitting in front of Ms. Latina Canada lol! I have no idea why in gods name they made her wear that ridiculous ball grown, banner and crown to a Reaggeton concert lol. It was just wired lol! She was dressed like prince Elsa lol!

Either way the point of having to save something nice to wear for only a speical occasion sucks to me. If I have something nice I want to wear it as often as possible rather then hidding it in a draw to collect dust. If I was not scared of breaking my neck I would be walking around dressed like I was going to a party every day! We could all be dead tomorrow ... why save the good stuff for a special moment when that moment may never come ! Also exculsive parties usually limits the variety of people you get to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:15 PM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That is what I hate. When the common sense factor stuff gets put out there.
It drives me nuts because similar to the idea some people have that if a woman dresses sexually and gets sexually assaulted it is her fault.
I like nice things. I work hard and bargan but to get nice things. No one has the right to steal my stuff. So why should I dress in a way I dont want to or in a way that does not reflex who I am because someone might want to steal my stuff.

In that case what is the point of having anything because there is always going to be some loser that will want to try and steal it from you.

At least in my city when getting robbed in general is pretty low. If I am on the bus or subway the chances are even lower. If I see someone looking too hard at my stuff I stare right bad at them hard and cold until they look away. Just so try and create the dont mess with me vibe because I am not going to be giving it up without a fight.
Well ive been in Central America and to be honest i never felt particularly unsafe. Being sensible i got taxis at night,theres very few people wandering about late at night anyway.I wore my silver chain with crucifix and nobody tried to snatch it. I only took out the money i would need each day,so if i was mugged they wouldnt get the lot.

The only ones i had a severe mistrust of were the street children who are snatch and run merchants.If you get money out to give to them your pockets will be emptied,and anything snatchable will be snatched.

Guess what?? i was never robbed,shot by a gang member,robbed by corrupt police,had drugs planted on me or was even bitten by poisonous snakes.But you read about people who are.Some is being street smart and some is plain luck.

The rich people over there have bullet proof windows and stick to malls protected by private security firms or private houses.

I know Toronto is meant to be very safe for tourists,but i bet between us we could go online and find quite a few stories of tourists being robbed (or worse) in Toronto.I even know someone who was robbed in Vancouver with a knife cos they strayed into a very bad bit.

I must admit when i go to London now a couple of times a year it feels much more unsafe than when i lived there in late 80s/early90s,when i was there i was pickpocketed once,but i go back and nothings ever happened but there are a lot of desperate people about.Much more than there were.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:29 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
attachment causes suffering

Old 09-10-2017, 12:48 AM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Well ive been in Central America and to be honest i never felt particularly unsafe. Being sensible i got taxis at night,theres very few people wandering about late at night anyway.I wore my silver chain with crucifix and nobody tried to snatch it. I only took out the money i would need each day,so if i was mugged they wouldnt get the lot.

The only ones i had a severe mistrust of were the street children who are snatch and run merchants.If you get money out to give to them your pockets will be emptied,and anything snatchable will be snatched.

Guess what?? i was never robbed,shot by a gang member,robbed by corrupt police,had drugs planted on me or was even bitten by poisonous snakes.But you read about people who are.Some is being street smart and some is plain luck.

The rich people over there have bullet proof windows and stick to malls protected by private security firms or private houses.

I know Toronto is meant to be very safe for tourists,but i bet between us we could go online and find quite a few stories of tourists being robbed (or worse) in Toronto.I even know someone who was robbed in Vancouver with a knife cos they strayed into a very bad bit.

I must admit when i go to London now a couple of times a year it feels much more unsafe than when i lived there in late 80s/early90s,when i was there i was pickpocketed once,but i go back and nothings ever happened but there are a lot of desperate people about.Much more than there were.
Vancouver is not Toronto and there is section that is riddled with crime, gangs, prostitutes and junkies. Totally messed up. Locals avoid the area so I have heard. Though I have never been to that par of Canada as it is far and expensive to get to. For the same time and money I could visit somewhere outside of Canada.

Please note I am not talking about wearing a nice silver chain. I am talking about wearing aroubd $50 thousand in Jewelry. Mind you most people would just assume it was fake or understand the value of the items being worn.

Regardless.... being limited to certain places ex private homes or malls for safety still seems to suck.

I likely should start being more cautious in my own city regardless. I might unknowingly be playing with fire.

The city has decided to spread the problems throughout the city rather then concentrate the in onr area so my area which had been fairly safe and low traffic is going to be getting to an arond 80 bed male homeless shelter dumbed here in the next while. Thankfully is not anywhere near my home, but around 20 to 30 minute walk. This likely means I will have to deal with a lot more concerning characters when taking public transit home. I am very honest to admit I am furious this shelter is being built. Nothings more attractive then having a bunch of homeless men that are mainly severly mentally ill or addicts roaming around your area of the city.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:50 AM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
attachment causes suffering
Suffering is part of life and I would rather suffer with as much nice stuff as possible !

Old 09-10-2017, 10:20 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Do very wealthy people in parts of the Americans have to live very sheltered lives to maintain safety?
Yes. Tons more security, etc. around their houses. Even regular houses, will often cement broken glass bottles on top of a wall that goes around their property. On and on.

In general, I don't get the point of having nice stuff anywhere. Just materialism for the sake of materialism. But I think in general, people who like 'stuff', should avoid showing off their stuff to people who will never be able to afford it in their lifetimes.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Default ...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yes. Tons more security, etc. around their houses. Even regular houses, will often cement broken glass bottles on top of a wall that goes around their property. On and on.

In general, I don't get the point of having nice stuff anywhere. Just materialism for the sake of materialism. But I think in general, people who like 'stuff', should avoid showing off their stuff to people who will never be able to afford it in their lifetimes.
This material stuff is not as hard as people thinnk to get. You just need to barter and trade your way up. There is a pretty signifcant underground economy in my city.

Last edited by klmrocks; 09-10-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 12:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Suffering is part of life and I would rather suffer with as much nice stuff as possible !

Lol if that is your attitude then why bother creating this thread? You just answered your own question.

Quote:
Vancouver is not Toronto and there is section that is riddled with crime, gangs, prostitutes and junkies
Vancouver is even safer than Toronto.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Lol if that is your attitude then why bother creating this thread? You just answered your own question.

Vancouver is even safer than Toronto.
Not sure how I answered my own question. I think you would agree risk for being a victim of robery is much much lower in Canada the anywhere south of Canada.

Regarding Vancouver I got the impression he was referring to Eastside of downtown. There was even one of those reality tv police shows in this area.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:12 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
This material stuff is not as hard as people thinnk to get. You just need to barter and trade your way up. There is a pretty signifcant underground economy in my city.
The barter system common in Toronto and Los Angeles and such...works because there is so much materialism already, with societies completely centered on material accumulation. Many people in North America spend their entire lives shopping at malls and wal-marts to fill up houses with material garbage. It's just a certain way of living life, that is in hyperdrive in North America. It's not the same everywhere in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRO91BwlYo

IN GENERAL.....in places like Brazil/etc....you are dealing with Brazil's poorest 10% earns on average $76 per month.

So that iPad you are walking around with..is something they'd never be able to put enough money aside to get in their lifetime. And if someone took it from you, you'd just buy another one the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas