Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 AM

439 posts, read 521,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
"since Panama just classified for the World Cup 2018 people have gone wild over it."
Quote:
thanks to a Colombian
Who gets paid $30,000 a month and btw, he doesn't play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 01:28 PM

321 posts, read 333,769 times
Baseball is Panama's and Venezuela's national sport though whereas Northern Colombia prefers football.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:02 PM

665 posts, read 613,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Guyana and Belize's ties to the English speaking Caribbean islands are stronger than Panama and Venezuela's ties to the Spanish speaking islands (especially Guyana as Belize undergoes massive demographic changes)...that being said, I thought the Caribbean coast of Colombia and Venezuela was already considered Caribbean Hispanic...Panama probably has closer ties to the English speaking islands of Jamaica and Barbados more than it does to the Spanish speaking islands...I would imagine Panama is pretty close to the Caribbean parts of Colombia but I will let the Panama experts on the board speak on that
I think parts of Venezuela and Colombia can be considered "Caribbean Hispanic" countries based on the climate and demographics of those regions closer to Caribbean Sea. I think if Panama is considered, then Costa Rica should be considered as well.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:20 PM

81 posts, read 179,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I was just thinking the other day....If Belize and Guyana are both Central/South American countries that are considered part of the West Indies without being geographically located in the Caribbean/Antilles, couldn't you make the same case for Panama and Venezuela?

Imho, there's many cultural overlaps between both countries and Puerto Rico/Cuba/Dominican Republic.

Let me just say I agree with most of what you said and Panama and Venezuela do have strong similarities to the Spanish Caribbean, BUT...

1. In Panama and Venezuela, baseball is the national sport.

2. Panama is heavily influenced by the U.S. due to the American occupation/invasion

3. Panama and Venezuela both have a strong tri-racial component like the Spanish-speaking Caribbean and many claim to be a mixture of three races as opposed to strictly White/Amerindian. Panama is 15% Afro Latino with over 60% being Afro-descendants(higher than Puerto Rico) and Venezuelans are almost carbon copies of Puerto Ricans genetically(just with more Amerindian ancestry)
African ancestry is higher in Puerto Rico, it's just Panama has more pure blacks and PR has more mulattos/Triracials. About 46% of Puerto Ricans have strong amounts of African ancestry, a similar figure for Cubans.. when it comes to African ancestry in Latin America it's Dominican Republic > PR/Cuba > Panama/Venezuela/Colombia > everywhere else
46% of Puerto Ricans have large amount of African DNA (13% pure black, 33% mulattos/triracials) ..35% of Panamanians have large amount of African DNA (15% pure blacks, 20% mulattos/triracials). Don't know where you get that 60% figure for Panama btw

4. Puerto Rican reggaeton originated from Garifuna Panamanians who created the genre
Panamanians created Spanish Reggae. Reggaeton developed in Puerto Rico as a break-off of Spanish Reggae, that also has strong hip hop elements. Just like Dominican Dembow has club music elements. Similar to how early hip hop was a break off of 1970s soul music but still has it's own origins.

5. Modern Venezuelan politics has been strongly influenced by Cuba

6. Santeria is the fastest growing religion in Venezuela

7. Both speak Spanish with a Caribbean/Andalucian influenced accent
The Caribbean Spanish accent has more Canarian influence than Andalucian, but it does have that too. Along with influence from other languages like French, English, Taino, and West African languages.

8. They both technically share a Caribbean coastline(which even Guyana can't make the claim to)

There's some others and I think an argument could be made for either side(After all, even Mexico has a Caribbean influence in Veracruz and Cozumel). However, I was figuring if Guyana and Belize could be considered "West Indian", Panama and Venezuela could be considered "Caribbean Hispanic."

Old 05-03-2018, 03:39 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
The main Costa Rican culture isn't really all that Caribbean. Costa Rican culture has a lot of similarities with the coffee region of Colombia from accent to customs to demography. Limon is of course a different scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Cartagena, for instance, is often ridiculed and maligned by the Paisa region of Colombia which is the most mainstream/populous.
1. Cartagena is not ridiculed at all, not any more than any other regional rivalry, it's in fact romanticised.
2. Paisas are not the most mainstream/populous. Cundi-boyacenses are, Paisas are second.
3. Cartagena is maligned to an extent by the whole country because it's the most unequal society in one of the most unequal countries in the world, so many people have disdain for the city and prefer to spend their vacation money supporting Tolu-Coveñas or Santa Marta instead. Many feel Cartagena is unjustly expensive for the average Colombian and Paisas in particular dislike the laissez-faire attitude especially when it comes to the amount of trash seen in cities in the Caribbean region, Panama also. Medellin and coffee region cities pride themselves on their cleanliness. They also dislike Bogota for this very reason among other reasons.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
I think parts of Venezuela and Colombia can be considered "Caribbean Hispanic" countries based on the climate and demographics of those regions closer to Caribbean Sea. I think if Panama is considered, then Costa Rica should be considered as well.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The main Costa Rican culture isn't really all that Caribbean. Costa Rican culture has a lot of similarities with the coffee region of Colombia from accent to customs to demography. Limon is of course a different scenario.
Contrary to popular belief, Costa Ricans also share a lot of cultural traits with their central American neighbors to the north. Also, the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica like the the rest of the Caribbean coast of Central America, has more similarities/influence from the Anglo Caribbean than the Spanish speaking Caribbean.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM

[quote=UrbanLuis;51792385]
Quote:

Contrary to popular belief, Costa Ricans also share a lot of cultural traits with their central American neighbors to the north. Also, the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica like the the rest of the Caribbean coast of Central America, has more similarities/influence from the Anglo Caribbean than the Spanish speaking Caribbean.
I never denied this. Hence why I said the county of Limon was a different scenario.
Also most of central America from Rivas/Rio San Juan, Nicaragua down to Bogota Colombia were Chibcha people which undoubtedly contributes.

However, the arrival of Catalans to Costa Rica and Basques to the coffee region when in the 1800s these regions/country had little more than 60,000 and 50,000 people respectively meant that the imprint of these two migrant peoples was larger than in say Nicaragua or Panama.

Also the relatively prosperous economies that were born have also allowed for other similarities no to mention the mountainous lifestyle, agrarian coffee growing, jeep willyx as regional icons etc. San Jose like most of the coffee region's main centres is at elevation in climatologically temperate/sub-tropical mountains, Managua on the other hand is practically at sea level.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
In general, I don't think any identities literally mean what the term for them describes.

For instance, in NYC, Guyanese people consider themselves "Carribean" or "West-Indian" even though it's a country in South America whereas Puerto Ricans and Dominicans do not. You would never find either nationality group at the Carribean Day Parade or some other Carribean-themed festivity.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
For instance, in NYC, Guyanese people consider themselves "Carribean" or "West-Indian" even though it's a country in South America whereas Puerto Ricans and Dominicans do not. You would never find either nationality group at the Carribean Day Parade or some other Carribean-themed festivity.
Of course Puerto Ricans and Dominican consider themselves Caribbean. What are you talking about? They don't consider themselves "West-Indian" because that's an Anglo term.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:04 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
At least here no they don't typically identify as "Carribean".

"Carribean" is an identity group that English and French speaking nations have, and it's associated moreso with black people. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are usually not a part of it and don't ever call themselves Carribean.

There are various multi-national Carribean festivals/parades and they are never a part of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas