Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,475 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking the other day....If Belize and Guyana are both Central/South American countries that are considered part of the West Indies without being geographically located in the Caribbean/Antilles, couldn't you make the same case for Panama and Venezuela?

Imho, there's many cultural overlaps between both countries and Puerto Rico/Cuba/Dominican Republic.

1. In Panama and Venezuela, baseball is the national sport.

2. Panama is heavily influenced by the U.S. due to the American occupation/invasion

3. Panama and Venezuela both have a strong tri-racial component like the Spanish-speaking Caribbean and many claim to be a mixture of three races as opposed to strictly White/Amerindian. Panama is 15% Afro Latino with over 60% being Afro-descendants(higher than Puerto Rico) and Venezuelans are almost carbon copies of Puerto Ricans genetically(just with more Amerindian ancestry)

4. Puerto Rican reggaeton originated from Garifuna Panamanians who created the genre

5. Modern Venezuelan politics has been strongly influenced by Cuba

6. Santeria is the fastest growing religion in Venezuela

7. Both speak Spanish with a Caribbean/Andalucian influenced accent

8. They both technically share a Caribbean coastline(which even Guyana can't make the claim to)

There's some others and I think an argument could be made for either side(After all, even Mexico has a Caribbean influence in Veracruz and Cozumel). However, I was figuring if Guyana and Belize could be considered "West Indian", Panama and Venezuela could be considered "Caribbean Hispanic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Guyana and Belize's ties to the English speaking Caribbean islands are stronger than Panama and Venezuela's ties to the Spanish speaking islands (especially Guyana as Belize undergoes massive demographic changes)...that being said, I thought the Caribbean coast of Colombia and Venezuela was already considered Caribbean Hispanic...Panama probably has closer ties to the English speaking islands of Jamaica and Barbados more than it does to the Spanish speaking islands...I would imagine Panama is pretty close to the Caribbean parts of Colombia but I will let the Panama experts on the board speak on that

Old 01-20-2018, 11:53 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Guyana and Belize's ties to the English speaking Caribbean islands are stronger than Panama and Venezuela's ties to the Spanish speaking islands (especially Guyana as Belize undergoes massive demographic changes)...that being said, I thought the Caribbean coast of Colombia and Venezuela was already considered Caribbean Hispanic...Panama probably has closer ties to the English speaking islands of Jamaica and Barbados more than it does to the Spanish speaking islands...I would imagine Panama is pretty close to the Caribbean parts of Colombia but I will let the Panama experts on the board speak on that
You've made some very good points. I guess what makes Panama and Venezuela stand out to me is the fact that the whole countries appear to be mainly influenced by the Caribbean whereas places like Colombia and Costa Rica have more of a "segmented" Caribbean influence. Cartagena, for instance, is often ridiculed and maligned by the Paisa region of Colombia which is the most mainstream/populous. In Venezuela, though, Caracas and the most populous states are on the Caribbean coast. It's similar in Panama too.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:27 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
I personally considered the Caribbean Coast of Central America and Panama to be apart of the Greater Caribbean region. the Caribbean coasts of Venezuela and Colombia are also very linked to the Caribbean as well.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Panama, Venezuela, and the Caribbean coast of Colombia does have the Spanish Caribbean feeling that one feels in the three Spanish isles. In Venezuela they have the three main components, namely Spanish, African, and the Indigenous is greatly Arawakan (the ancestral peoples of the Tainos form the Antilles) which probably explains why the culture is so similar to PR's, DR's, and Cuba's. With a few minor difference, Venezuelans (especially those from Caracas) even speak like people from the Spanish island (they even use Taino words that are unknown outside the Spanish Caribbean islands, such as mata to mean tree.) In Panama the feeling is mostly due to the Spanish and African influences, the Indigenous is something else. The same as in Panama applies to Colombia's Caribbean coast.

Generally, they are included in what is known as the 'Gran Caribe' or Greater Caribbean.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 PM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I was just thinking the other day....If Belize and Guyana are both Central/South American countries that are considered part of the West Indies without being geographically located in the Caribbean/Antilles, couldn't you make the same case for Panama and Venezuela?

Imho, there's many cultural overlaps between both countries and Puerto Rico/Cuba/Dominican Republic.

Quote:
1. In Panama and Venezuela, baseball is the national sport.
2. Panama is heavily influenced by the U.S. due to the American occupation/invasion

3. Panama and Venezuela both have a strong tri-racial component like the Spanish-speaking Caribbean and many claim to be a mixture of three races as opposed to strictly White/Amerindian. Panama is 15% Afro Latino with over 60% being Afro-descendants(higher than Puerto Rico) and Venezuelans are almost carbon copies of Puerto Ricans genetically(just with more Amerindian ancestry)

Quote:
4. Puerto Rican reggaeton originated from Garifuna Panamanians who created the genre
5. Modern Venezuelan politics has been strongly influenced by Cuba

6. Santeria is the fastest growing religion in Venezuela

7. Both speak Spanish with a Caribbean/Andalucian influenced accent

8. They both technically share a Caribbean coastline(which even Guyana can't make the claim to)

There's some others and I think an argument could be made for either side(After all, even Mexico has a Caribbean influence in Veracruz and Cozumel). However, I was figuring if Guyana and Belize could be considered "West Indian", Panama and Venezuela could be considered "Caribbean Hispanic."
Not anymore, in Panama is Futbol (soccer) now.

Garifuna Panamanians??? WHAT??? There are no Garifunas in Panama, that is in Central America, mostly Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize and Guatemala, as well as, in Saint Vincent. Where did you get this info from?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Not anymore, in Panama is Futbol (soccer) now.

Garifuna Panamanians??? WHAT??? There are no Garifunas in Panama, that is in Central America, mostly Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize and Guatemala, as well as, in Saint Vincent. Where did you get this info from?
i thought baseball was still very popular in Panama?
and yeah, that poster was wrong about reggaeton LOL.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM

439 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
i thought baseball was still very popular in Panama?
and yeah, that poster was wrong about reggaeton LOL.
Yes, indeed baseball is still very popular in Panama, as a matter of fact, right now it is baseball season, but people are dying for soccer now, and since Panama just classified for the World Cup 2018 people have gone wild over it.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
"since Panama just classified for the World Cup 2018 people have gone wild over it."

thanks to a Colombian.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
"since Panama just classified for the World Cup 2018 people have gone wild over it."

thanks to a Colombian.
Oh Joaco

After England and Colombia, I'm rooting for Panama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas