Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 02:43 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,578,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Ignorant? Why? I only expain a fact. What is the problem? We don't only have mulatoes in mixed race population. We have mestizos and many others. People don't like much if you talk "about overrepresented african heritage in countries. Only because talk about black people. Hipocrisy. But the media say lies about us is not "ignorant".
And why does it all matter. This is why people think that you have a problem with Afro descended people. So what? The reality is that no one can really define who is and who isnt "black", or even "mulatto" because no one knows exactly what it is. This given that much of the population is triracial and with weak ethno-racial identities (except for the affluent whites of course).

Old 06-10-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
It's clear from your posts that you are a racist. Good day.

This is true. Brazil had some popularity/interest in the early 2000s but that is long gone. In fact, the idea that America in general having any widespread interest/"obsession" with Brazil is delusional. Brazil simply doesn't have the cultural output/visibility in the US like that.
True. I remember in the 80s and 90s loads of Brazilian musicians used to come to NYC. I dont hear of that anymore. Even the Olympics didn't generate the massive US crowds that had been anticipated.

What we hear most of Brazil is its crime, and now a mad president and COVID 19.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Most Nigerians are not studying Brazil at all.
Quite true. This fellow seems to have serious self hate issues. He deeply resents the fact that the aspect pf Brazilian culture which interests most are its Afro elements. Maybe he would rather us displaying interest in the polka music of southern Brazil.

Ethno-racial identities in Brazil are the polar opposite from the USA that I dont see any American, black or white, who will try to apply US definitions of race to Brazil.

However what is apparent in Brazil is that its upper middle class Afro (black and mulatto) is smaller than that of the USA, so attempts to claim that Brazil is less racist falls flat.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
American media shows absolute no interest in African Brazilians, you will almost never hear much about Brazil in general let alone hear anything about one of their racial sub groups.
US media shows no interest in anything out of the USA, unless its a royal wedding in the UK. As far as most Americans are concerned there is much of interest south of Jamaica and Mexico.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Yes ok. Brazil have the largest "african descent" population. African descent don't mean you are black. Because many white Brazilians for example have african genes. Many adxmitures and interracial marriages etc. African descent and "the largeeest black nation" is diferent. But when corrupt politics are desesperate for money say anything.
Brazil former president who say that "the largest Black nation in the world outside Nigeria " with supporters ( majority african Brazilians).

Former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Thursday (5) that "the great legacy" left by South African leader Nelson Mandela was to make the black people of South Africa discover that they were in the majority.
"Something that seems simple, but it is not simple. That if the majority of the people were black, it did not make any sense for the white minority to continue to rule the country," said the former president, during a speech to workers at a high school. Diadem. "People have discovered themselves as a driving force capable of involving society," he added. Brazil is a country of African colonization not Portuguese.( By Lula).
I dont know how many times you need to be told by EVERY non Brazilian poster here that:

1. everyone knows that most Brazilians are mixed, even the ones who call themselves "white".

2. Racial identities are polar opposite from that in the USA. While in the latter it is usually easy to delineate who is "black", not so in Brazil, or for that matter in most other parts of the Americas.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not angry. I don't have nothing against Americans, black americans or brazilian african heritage. I only say that: When i see documentaries about Brazil ( a few documentaries about Brazil) is only about "african heritage" in Brazil (Salvador/Rio de Janeiro). Maybe my observation is wrong. Ok?
Or all videoclips ( few) in Brazil is only in Salvador/Rio de Janeiro. If today Justin Timberlake making a video in Brazil. Probably in Brazilians slums, or with beautiful mulattas in the beach or in Salvador with afro brazilian group Olodum or Rio de Janeiro.
Yes I get it. You would rather we focus on the German derived folk dancing or on the Nazis who live in southern Brazil. To shed any light on Brazil's very vibrant Afro traditions drives you insane as this part of Brazil embarrasses you. And the only Brazilian you want shown is Xuxa.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,598,437 times
There is no media obsession with African Brazilians at all. There should be with MMA because of all the Brazilian champs and justifiably so.

Does the media speak about Djavan, Gil, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Pele, or other black celebrities or do they focus on the poor?

I know the country extremely well. Popular Brazilian shows (novelas and night time talk shows) do show blacks and have black guests all the time. It has increased quite somewhat since the 90's.

I hope the American media trying to stir up some BS again. Facts are there are many whites & mixed races living in the favelas. There are Japanese and Arabic speaking Brazilians who all speak Portuguese and get along fine with anyone and treat anyone no matter the race respectfully.

This is why people get along there better as a country and nationally. They aren't divided. It is not about skin color there. It is more about your family class and money resources. Don't be fooled by journalists. I've lived there on and off since the mid-90 but not since 2011 for many reasons.

There's a large amount of blacks in Colombia, some in Uruguay and Ecuador too. From my experience, the courses Brazilians take in high school teach them about other countries a lot more than the US students learns about other countries. This speaks to the level of the typical US's student being unaware of common ethnic demographics in the Americas.

Your local leaders need to be held accountable. Vote different people in who will do the right job so you and your kids can think and learn facts instead being shown what they want you to hear.

Last edited by frankrj; 06-11-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 12:47 PM

544 posts, read 831,523 times
How is this thread with its incredibly absurd premise still going?
I noticed that the OP has only ever made 2 posts and then not heard from.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:40 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,251,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
There is no media obsession with African Brazilians at all. There should be with MMA because of all the Brazilian champs and justifiably so.

Does the media speak about Djavan, Gil, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Pele, or other black celebrities or do they focus on the poor?

I know the country extremely well. Popular Brazilian shows (novelas and night time talk shows) do show blacks and have black guests all the time. It has increased quite somewhat since the 90's.

I hope the American media trying to stir up some BS again. Facts are there are many whites & mixed races living in the favelas. There are Japanese and Arabic speaking Brazilians who all speak Portuguese and get along fine with anyone and treat anyone no matter the race respectfully.

This is why people get along there better as a country and nationally. They aren't divided. It is not about skin color there. It is more about your family class and money resources. Don't be fooled by journalists. I've lived there on and off since the mid-90 but not since 2011 for many reasons.

There's a large amount of blacks in Colombia, some in Uruguay and Ecuador too. From my experience, the courses Brazilians take in high school teach them about other countries a lot more than the US students learns about other countries. This speaks to the level of the typical US's student being unaware of common ethnic demographics in the Americas.

Your local leaders need to be held accountable. Vote different people in who will do the right job so you and your kids can think and learn facts instead being shown what they want you to hear.
I currently live in Brazil half the year and can tell you that its still not frequent to see "Afro brasileiros as presenters. The Afr Brazilian movement is and has always been around. Now the OP stating that the Aamerican media is obsessed with is has been decried by most of us as false. I can tell you, having friends here in Rio from not only the communidades, but regular neighbrohoods that what you spoke of as it pertains to the teaching of other countries by the Brazilian school system is not completely true. Hell, most Brasileiros dont even speak english bro. And you know the country well, as well as their popular shows? GLOBO when crowning the Globeleza had a huge public spectical as a very dark womana, Nayara Justino, had been chosen by the judges as Miss Globeleza and due to public outcry...they took it away from her. Aa very qualified, outwardly visible Afro-Brasileira.

And to be clear, Brasileiros, just like any other countries, experience first a racial bis and then a class bias. I have seen firsthand and heard from the people whom Im surrounded by. Its not just that the Brazilian high society looks down upon everyone ONLY if they are from the communidade...because there is a large number of affluent blacks who feel shut out of the larger economics of the country.....just facts.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,251,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
How is this thread with its incredibly absurd premise still going?
I noticed that the OP has only ever made 2 posts and then not heard from.
I guess people are interested in Brazil as a topic. His opinion was driven by what some believe is a self hatred which he kinda exposed himself....but also by a bias towards Afr Brazilian exposure.....like thats the only or main export of Brazil. Which anyone even remotely familiar with the place would know as categorically false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas