Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 12:04 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't understand. I know you're trying to say something. Spit it out so I can respond.

I take it your a fan of John Smith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 04:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The reason for that is the very bad treatment they got from their own country. Not only were they subjected to English-style slavery, which was nothing like what was practiced in Spanish America, but after slavery they were subjected to the worst type of humiliations (the vote of a black man was worth only one-third the vote of a white man, segregation that claimed equal but separate yet everything that was put aside for blacks was of lesser quality than their counterparts for the whites, anti-racial-mixing laws, the one-drop-rule which was used to control the mixed race population and keep them from further mixing with the whites, church and school bombings for no real justifiable reasons except racial hatred, the list is long). After slavery, African Americans simply wanted to be Americans and feel proud of that, to make the best of their country along with their white countrymen; but, they were systematically denied that until relatively recently. They were second class citizens in their own country.

With a history like that, the resentments and distrusts that exists among American blacks towards their white countrymen is understandable. Its also the reason why they tried to recreate ‘African’ culture and traditions. As you say, those ‘African’ cultural aspects that were reinvented have little to do with actual African culture and in reality are just African American cultural aspects.

The racial history of the US is one of the most sad and horrible out there, so the pain that has been passed down through the generations among many black Americans is understandable.

They do appear somewhat ridiculous when some black Americans (because in reality most black Americans don’t care and most of the rest understand that black people weren’t treated the same all over the hemisphere, not even during the slavery) want to impose their generations created pain and resentments on other African-descended people of this hemisphere. You can’t expect other nationalities of blacks and mixed people to have the same resentments you have when they don’t have the same exact history that African Americans were subjected to. You need a past full of KKK, racial segregation and Jim Crow laws, racially based terrorism, etc that simply never exist in Latin America. If you don’t have that as part of your historical baggage, others can’t expect you to live or act as if you do. That’s not how life works.

The US is still a very racially based country, despite the advances it has acheived in this regard. Race forms the fundamental aspect in many Americans identity and many don’t realize this until they travel abroad and see that most of the rest of humanity, including most of the African-descended people of the Americas, don’t live their life like that. The racial issue in the US is still at such levels that many black men decide to travel in groups rather than solo, they also tend to feel more at ease when they are in a group and there is at least one other black person than if everyone was white and they were the only black there, they also feel more at ease in areas or neighborhoods with some diversity; in some ways, black Americans still fear whites and this is the main reason most feel uncomfortable when they are in an area or in a group when they are the only black. This isn’t the case for everybody, but in general terms I think this still applies.

Again, you can’t really blame them for acting like that. If Latin American blacks and mixed people were treated the way African Americans were treated in their own country during and after slavery, Latinos would had reacted the same way. That they don’t see things in the same way many African Americans see them is due to a different history.
Thank you for this post. I hope people learn from it.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:30 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Did you write this yourself? If not you need to cite the source.
Quote:
The reason for that is the very bad treatment they got from their own country. Not only were they subjected to English-style slavery, which was nothing like what was practiced in Spanish America, but after slavery they were subjected to the worst type of humiliations (the vote of a black man was worth only one-third the vote of a white man, segregation that claimed equal but separate yet everything that was put aside for blacks was of lesser quality than their counterparts for the whites, anti-racial-mixing laws, the one-drop-rule which was used to control the mixed race population and keep them from further mixing with the whites, church and school bombings for no real justifiable reasons except racial hatred, the list is long). After slavery, African Americans simply wanted to be Americans and feel proud of that, to make the best of their country along with their white countrymen; but, they were systematically denied that until relatively recently. They were second class citizens in their own country.
The three-fiifth clause on voting did not mean that the slaves could vote at all; the whites' vote totals were inflated for purposes of calculating Congressional representation. It was horrible for reasons other than what you cite. "Separate but equal" is a blot on our history from which we have moved.

Quote:
With a history like that, the resentments and distrusts that exists among American blacks towards their white countrymen is understandable. Its also the reason why they tried to recreate ‘African’ culture and traditions. As you say, those ‘African’ cultural aspects that were reinvented have little to do with actual African culture and in reality are just African American cultural aspects.

The racial history of the US is one of the most sad and horrible out there, so the pain that has been passed down through the generations among many black Americans is understandable.
Then why is it that the Jews, who suffered much more lethal discrimination, do not spend their lives in resentment and/or violence or crime? The black leaders deserve a rich diet of blame for immiserating the people them claim to "lead."
Quote:
You need a past full of KKK, racial segregation and Jim Crow laws, racially based terrorism, etc that simply never exist in Latin America. If you don’t have that as part of your historical baggage, others can’t expect you to live or act as if you do. That’s not how life works.
I invite you to demonstrate the paradisaical nature of Latin America. If it's so great why are they surging her?

Quote:
The US is still a very racially based country, despite the advances it has acheived in this regard. Race forms the fundamental aspect in many Americans identity and many don’t realize this until they travel abroad and see that most of the rest of humanity, including most of the African-descended people of the Americas, don’t live their life like that. The racial issue in the US is still at such levels that many black men decide to travel in groups rather than solo, they also tend to feel more at ease when they are in a group and there is at least one other black person than if everyone was white and they were the only black there, they also feel more at ease in areas or neighborhoods with some diversity; in some ways, black Americans still fear whites and this is the main reason most feel uncomfortable when they are in an area or in a group when they are the only black. This isn’t the case for everybody, but in general terms I think this still applies.

Again, you can’t really blame them for acting like that. If Latin American blacks and mixed people were treated the way African Americans were treated in their own country during and after slavery, Latinos would had reacted the same way. That they don’t see things in the same way many African Americans see them is due to a different history.
We are the only society that has true equality and integration, however messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I take it your a fan of John Smith?
Who is he?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
The majority of the people in countries like the Dominican Republic or Colombia are not white. They maybe a mixture of a variety of races.

So because of different demographics, things are very different.

As the US continues to change due to immigration, these changes will increasingly manifest in the United States.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:13 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
Quote:
Who is he?
A hero to those who look to the conquistador cartel capitalists, their slaver sidekicks from the man-children & the living space force warriors from the U.S. Indian Wars through settler southern Africa, Austral-Asia & Bilad es Ahl Sumran el Shariq, etc.

Last edited by kovert; 09-27-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 01:19 PM

264 posts, read 136,494 times
Quote:

We are the only society that has true equality and integration, however messy.Who is he?
oh god how wrong you are!!!

i dont even know where to start.

lets start with citizenship, in basically all latam countries its population is way more united around the common citizenship than in the US. there are no groups trying to deny the right to vote to others based on color. thats not a thing in latam. everybody on that country with maybe the exemption of tribal men is in the national project. there are no hyphenates in latam, no African-Latino, or native -Latinos, those are USA made concepts. racial tolerance is way way more deep in latam. race is a second though most of the time.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
oh god how wrong you are!!!

i dont even know where to start.

lets start with citizenship, in basically all latam countries its population is way more united around the common citizenship than in the US. there are no groups trying to deny the right to vote to others based on color. thats not a thing in latam. everybody on that country with maybe the exemption of tribal men is in the national project. there are no hyphenates in latam, no African-Latino, or native -Latinos, those are USA made concepts. racial tolerance is way way more deep in latam. race is a second though most of the time.
These countries are dominated by corruption. There is no clear title to land. That's one of the reasons living standards are low. I don't know where to start.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:30 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Did you write this yourself? If not you need to cite the source.The three-fiifth clause on voting did not mean that the slaves could vote at all; the whites' vote totals were inflated for purposes of calculating Congressional representation. It was horrible for reasons other than what you cite. "Separate but equal" is a blot on our history from which we have moved.

Then why is it that the Jews, who suffered much more lethal discrimination, do not spend their lives in resentment and/or violence or crime? The black leaders deserve a rich diet of blame for immiserating the people them claim to "lead."
I invite you to demonstrate the paradisaical nature of Latin America. If it's so great why are they surging her?

We are the only society that has true equality and integration, however messy.Who is he?
You mean showing some of the sources again for (how many times has this been done already?)

Using the search function with my pen name should bring them up.

Good thing there are many old timers here and have seen the evidence that I presented multiple times in various threads (think at times in this one too). I suggest people use the search function and have the answers to their questions right there.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
You mean showing some of the sources again for (how many times has this been done already?)

Using the search function with my pen name should bring them up.

Good thing there are many old timers here and have seen the evidence that I presented multiple times in various threads (think at times in this one too). I suggest people use the search function and have the answers to their questions right there.
If you took the sources and put them in your own words, that's fine. Otherwise, not so much.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:13 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
If you took the sources and put them in your own words, that's fine. Otherwise, not so much.
Anyone that has seen them would know that it includes images of what was written and not a re-typed quotes. Like I suggested previously, the search function is quite wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas