Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Mention the existence of the African slave trade in Mexico, Central and South America and Latinos will argue to the death that "no negros son aqui"

The fact remains that between 1502 and 1866, of the 11.2 million Africans, only 388,000 arrived in the United States, while the rest arrived in Latin America and the Caribbean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiQU6eKJCM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
There was never anything similar to the one drop rule in Latin America people of partial Black ancestry usually do not consider themselves to be Black Africans just as they usually don't consider themselves to be Spaniards or Portuguese or Amerindians, in general they understand those are components that make up a Brazilian, Colombian, Cuban, Puerto Rican etc but that's about it. If you look white in Latin America you're white, if you look mixed you're mixed very few people want to be Black even if they're dark. That's just the way it is 90 million people in Brazil don't claim Afro-Latino ancestry this video is pretty ridiculous as it's propaganda to spread the USA concept of race and race relations it looks like the Afro-centrists are doing a pretty good job of indoctrinating a few communities of their insanity.

Last edited by AFP; 02-02-2019 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
LOL I have yet to meet a Latino who denies there was slavery in Latin America. I have yet to meet a Latino who denies there are black people in their countries. What a stupid thread.

Quote:
no negros son aqui
This doesn't even make sense.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:54 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
The vast majority of African slaves were imported into the British and French colonies. One time I had a discussion about this with someone in real life and I couldn’t understand why that person had such a hard time understanding this fact. We were speaking specifically of the Caribbean islands, but I got her way of thinking when she said the Spanish Caribbean has most of the land in the Caribbean. While true, it didn’t occurred to her that the vast majority of slaves were imported to the English and French territories, but most died in the fields.

The total number of Africans imported into Puerto Rico and modern Dominican Republic didn’t passed 50,000 and that’s for both islands combined. Cuba imported the largest number (can’t remember if it was 500,000 or 800,000) and the bulk was imported after many French colonists from Haiti settled in eastern Cuba.

Places like Haiti, Jamaica, and the Lesser Antilles imported tens of millions of Africans.

As a general rule, the Spaniards treated their slaves better than the French or the English, in part due to religious beliefs and in part due to less intensive agricultural economies. The main activity in all three Spanish territories was cattle ranching, which never required much slaves nor did the owners needed to beat the living daylights of the slaves to encourage them to work.

The English and the French had highly productive islands because they saw their colonies as if they were giant businesses. That high productivity went hand in hand with a dominating plantation economy and very efficient control of the slaves (aka, do whatever it took to keep them working at full speed and at full intensity).

While on the French part (aka Haiti) of the island of Santo Domingo (also known as Hispaniola) imported well over 1 million Africans during the course of less than a century, the average life expectancy of an African was 6 or 7 years from the moment they arrived at the French port. Slaves almost made up over 80% of the population and African-born blacks (aka bozales in Spanish) were always more numerous than island-born blacks (aka black criollos or creoles).

Meanwhile in the Spanish part of the island (modern Dom Rep) the slaves were always a minority ranging from 10% to 15% of the total population, and the majority lived to old age. Most were island-born and by the 1700’s the had been on the island for generations and had an almost completely Spanish culture, plus had Spanish as their mother tongue. Despite being slave, most weren’t used to a strict control from their owners and were never subjected to truly harsh labors.

Many colonists from the French and English colonies in the Caribbean that visited the Spanish islands, particular the Spanish territory of Hispaniola, wrote that the Spaniards were very humaine with their slaves, that most slave owning Spaniards got to know very well their slaves because they only owned one or two plus their families instead of whole towns. The slaves were fed and clothes the same foods and clothes as their owners did for their own families. In many cases the slaves ate the meals on the same table as their masters and with the masters’ family. The slaves were given an excess of rest days via holidays that by law they were not allowed to work. Spanish law required every court to have a defendant of the slaves that needed to offer his services free of charge, since priests were used to inspect the slaves all over the territory and if there was any evidence of abuse they were obligated to alert the authorities. A slave had the right to file a complaint of ill treatment and the Spanish laws was on their side.

There are many other particulars that made slavery in the Spanish territories different from those in the French and English territories. In part, this is a major reason why descendants of African slaves in Spanish America suffer less resentments towards the whites than in the French and English parts of this hemisphere.

One aspect I will also mention is that it is a little easier for descendants of Spanish slaves to track their ancestry, if they choose, because there is an actual paper trail that English and French slaves don’t have. For example, Spanish law obligated that all slaves be baptised by their masters and there was severe punishments on the masters if they didn’t do it. The end result is that in the Spanish American countries the slaves baptism books exist in our days, making it easier to understand the genealogy of most descedants of slaves. No such records exist in French America and in English American countries.

I could go into more details with documented historical evidences, but right now I have to do something else.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:21 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
In terms of destinations...

"African captives who survived the Middle Passage were scattered across ports throughout the Americas. Scholars have identified 179 such ports, where more than 11 million Africans were transported by European slavers. But twenty of those ports received more than eight million Africans. In Brazil, 1,839,000 landed in Rio de Janerio and a further 1,550,000 in Salvador de Bahia. Kingston, Jamaica received 886,000 Africans, and 493,000 landed at Bridgetown, Barbados. Cap-Français in Saint-Domingue (now Haiti) was the disembarkation point for 406,000 Africans, and Charleston, South Carolina (United States) 186,000."

"Slave traders forced newly arrived Africans in Buenos Aires, Argentina, to trek across the continent to what became Bolivia, Ecuador, and Chile—a distance of more than 4,000 kilometers. Traders transported enslaved people from island to island within the Caribbean, then from one location to another on the larger islands in Jamaica, Cuba, and Saint-Domingue, as new settlements and crops opened up interior locations."

Source: Slave Trade Routes | Slavery and Remembrance

Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The vast majority of African slaves were imported into the British and French colonies.

Once again, why do Latinos like to lie about the fact that the MAJORITY of African slaves were imported to the SPANISH and PORTUGESE colonies?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Once again, why do Latinos like to lie about the fact that the MAJORITY of African slaves were imported to the SPANISH and PORTUGESE colonies?

Please show maps that includes actual numbers.

I’ll come back when I have time with the evidences.

In the meant time, I’ll post this map from Atlas of World History. The figures are in thousands.

This other chart/map has a graph in the lower right. Notice the number of Africans imported to Spanish America (including the Spanish Caribbean) pales to the numbers imported in the English and French Americas. Don’t forget to add the amounts of British North America to the English/French West Indies to get the full numbers for English/French America. I don’t know why they always separate British North America from the total British American numbers. They never do that with Spanish America, despite that most of Spanish America didn’t receive massive numbers of Africans. Its the weirdest thing.

https://pitt.libguides.com/c.php?g=12639&p=66892

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-02-2019 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL I have yet to meet a Latino who denies there was slavery in Latin America. I have yet to meet a Latino who denies there are black people in their countries. What a stupid thread.

This doesn't even make sense.
Ask 20 random Latinos if there was African slavery in Mexico, El Salvador, Argentine, Peru or Chile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiQU6eKJCM&t=886s

Old 02-02-2019, 04:59 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

This says it better than what the source in my post.

Also, in Latin American countries, the settling was generally done by men without families and in turn, the admixture came due to a lack of mates besides Native and African females.

I believe the Portuguese government encouraged it no matter where they went across the world, in order to spread its influence and you can see evidence of this no matter where they settled.

So, that also plays a part in the differences as well.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Please show maps that includes actual numbers.

I’ll come back when I have time with the evidences.

In the meant time, I’ll post this map from Atlas of World History.
The truth is that the map illustrates the truth so even if I post a map with the actual numbers yu will dispute that TRUTH as well.

As I said, many Latinos will argue to the death attempting to deny the erasure of African descendents in their respective Latin countries. I once had a Salvadorian beam with pride to tell me that there were no African descendants in the country of El Salvador.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzHIRCBtdE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas