Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 07:40 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

I was checking around Rio de Janeiro in Google Street View and stumbled upon this seaside area. Whoa! I'm impressed! The dominant architecture appear to be modernist with clean lines. The whole area photographed appears fresh and new. I have to say that it appears as a beautiful area. Its also big.

Does anyone has more information about this place? It's preferred its a first hand eyewitness account of the area. I haven't been to this part of Rio, but if I go back to that megalopolis this is definitely on my to go list.

Are the people there friendly?

Does the area gives a good vibe?

What is the beach like? (The actual beach and the general ambiance of the place).

Is it safe or safer than other parts of Rio?

Is the area as clean as it appears?

What are the sites there? (Museums, shopping malls, other attractions).

I get the impression the area isn't known among tourists and/or foreigners, mostly because most probably don't know it exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:45 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
A guy walking through the area. I really like it a lot. Seems it has a widespread live and let live attitude, and is also tranquil enough for a pleasant lifestyle.

Carnival at Barra

One of the shopping malls in the area.

Aerial views

Appears to be a very nice place.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:47 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
More tranquil and sedate than the Zona Sul beach communities of Copa/IPA/Leblon. Think suburban. Great beaches, particularly Grumari and Prainha.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:29 PM

827 posts, read 865,424 times
Barra da Tijuca is a "new" area of the city, comparatively. Most of the population is there since the 80s, there was almost nothing before. The population continues to grow.

While Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon are dense and walkable neighborhoods, Barra is more sprawled, with lots of big malls, fancy apartment buildings, gated communities in large avenues. Also, there is no chance of seeing some "favelas" here and there, a few blocks away, as it happens in these first mentioned neighborhoods. Barra da Tijuca is a very exclusive place.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:17 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,134 times
I stay there alot when in Rio for work (typically one week per month). Not very touristy as other places, but the beach is really nice, hotels are fairly priced, and it is generally safe. You would have to use taxi or uber to go to shopping places or restaurants (especially in the evening), because on beach side the options are fairly limited. I'd recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas