Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 07:09 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I do not see the similarity in the mass media portrayal of Africa and Brazil. I am puzzled as to why some keep making that connection. I don't often see images of African beaches, carnivals, parties etc on TV. Even the favela portrayal being spoken of in this thread is not usually done with Africa.
Thats true for sure! I cant remember one documentary that portrayed Africa as a party haven. Its always the jungle, squatter camps, or flies on the faces of hungry children for the most part.

When in fact Africa is beautiful and major cities are very advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Thats true for sure! I cant remember one documentary that portrayed Africa as a party haven. Its always the jungle, squatter camps, or flies on the faces of hungry children for the most part.

When in fact Africa is beautiful and major cities are very advanced.

I am beginning to think that Samishiba is referencing his own subjective (possibly prejudiced?) personal opinion of Africa when he says the media is portraying Brazil a certain way that is like Africa. I initially thought the poster was saying the media portrays the the two places the same way which is completely false. Brazilians may not agree with the way Brazil is portrayed by various local and international mass media but that portrayal is unique to Brazil and can't be mistaken for anywhere else (even if there are other places that are similar). The portrayal does highlight certain parts of Brazilian culture over others but nobody mistakes that for Africa. Africa, as a whole, is not portrayed that way by "mainstream" mass media.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:15 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I am beginning to think that Samishiba is referencing his own subjective (possibly prejudiced?) personal opinion of Africa when he says the media is portraying Brazil a certain way that is like Africa. I initially thought the poster was saying the media portrays the the two places the same way which is completely false. Brazilians may not agree with the way Brazil is portrayed by various local and international mass media but that portrayal is unique to Brazil and can't be mistaken for anywhere else (even if there are other places that are similar). The portrayal does highlight certain parts of Brazilian culture over others but nobody mistakes that for Africa. Africa, as a whole, is not portrayed that way by "mainstream" mass media.
Samishiba has an issue with Western medias portrayal of Brazil in many ways. She believes that the media portrays Brazil as "black", low on morality (naked brazilian women dancing around for Carnaval), etc....

While I can agree to a point, that most media do celebrate certain aslects of Brazilian culture like Capoiera, Samba, Carnaval, food......I can see that the media may see an opening to shed light on areas of Brazil that mainly are not known to the wider worldly population. Like the shear amount of black bodies in Brazil, its racial struggles, the actual origins of the Capoeira and Samba that all Brazilians celebrate and claim as culturally their own. They were rooted in blackness. People dont take that into account.

To support her POV, i can admit that all my years visiting and living here, that SOME media exploit the imagery of Brazil and push false narratives. I was surprised taht she admitted taht it was European's that usually do this. The biggest traffickers in sex tourism, especially with children is Europeans.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:45 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfy3XroiWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rbBKyLfuAo

Old 02-23-2021, 01:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Western media portrays África full of poverty, slums and any undeveloped places. I don't think that that the whole África is full of poverty. I say that the media portrays Brazil like África full of poverty and violence.

Thanks for explaining your viewpoint. I understand you better now. It is true that Western media does highlight the poorer side of both places although the imagery is different.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:02 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
The movie city of god probably had something to do with it. Rappers also seem obsessed with South America.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Because Brazil sells this stereotype. Making Rio de Janeiro slums the official image in Brazil in the world. For this reason many people think that: in Brazil 90% are black and mulatto like in Africa, everyone in Brazil lives in slums, the entire Brazil is corrupt, poor and ugly like Rio de Janeiro. For this many people think that Brazil is summarized in half naked mulattas, slums,carnival, women in bikini who shows the butt, and poverty.
The idea of Brazil for many people is Rio de Janeiro. Brazil only making movies about slums. City of god . Brazil shows the worst places of our country. Negative propaganda. The majority of American celebrities who travel for Brazil. Brazil invite them for see Rio de Janeiro slums
I see. A year later, and another thread, still the tears that the face of Brazil to the rest of the world still reflects the strong presence of the peoples of Afro descent. Some wish that this could be hidden and that a Brazil of Germans and Italians would be portrayed. Alas this isnt so.

The USA doesnt hide its African American population and indeed its music, which heavily influences its image, largely comes from this group. Outside of the USA it isnt Country music that is heavily promoted. Its the music forms which were derived from blues, gospel, and jazz.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsura View Post
Because the media think that if show Rio de Janeiro show Brazil. When show Brazilian houses show slums of Rio de Janeiro. If you show Brazilian people show mulattoes and blacks in carnival from Rio de Janeiro.
If you show Rio de Janeiro you show "Brazil". If you search Brazil in Google only have pictures of Rio de Janeiro. If you show Brazil culture Carnival of Rio de Janeiro. Brazil is Rio de Janeiro

How many people want to travel to Porto Alegre. Come on. Even Brazilians find the southern region to be boring. Sao Paulo isnt a tourist attraction. Rio dominates the image of Brazil because that is the fact that the rest of the world, and I suspect even Brazil, finds most interesting.

The Olympics and the World Cup were marketed around the image of Rio. This was a decision that Brazilians made. Watching German folk dances in some state down south isnt what interests people. Sorry.

And you cannot avoid the favelas if you go to Rio. Even if you confine yours stay in Copa and Ipanema look to the hills and they are staring right at you.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:33 PM

Brazil only recieves 3 million tourist a year? I find that hard to believe......As far as sex tourism goes I think other countries have over taken Brazil now.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsura View Post
Yes. Only 3 - 6 million. The media only shows slums of undeveloped countries. Documentaries in YouTube about Índia, Bangladesh, México, El Salvador, African countries 99% is about slums. But Brazil only shows the slums of Rio de Janeiro abroad. Foreigners are obsessed with Brazilian slums because Brazil sells this obsession. Brazil invite American celebrities for slums and the ugly places of Brazil.
Well if what you say is true about the low numberof tourist, it actually makes me want to visit Brazil. LOL

Yes some media has the tendency to show the bad things of some of countries. Now, youtube doesn't help either with sex tourist uploading stupid videos. I was watching tv with my sister the other day and she mentioned she wanted to visit a certain city in Latin America, so we looked it up on youtube and I swear half the videos were about hookers and nightlife. So I understand what you mean and it's not just the media. Not a good look. I hate that Latin America is looked at like a brothel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas