Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 04:44 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenalee View Post
That is because Brazil getting excessive coverage for Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian soap operas are in Rio de Janeiro. The only event who Brazil export for the world are in Rio de Janeiro. For centuries Brazil only shows for the world Rio de Janeiro slums, Rio de Janeiro, slums, slums. City of God movie slums. This became Brazil official image. A Brazil national identify.
This I can see as a valid point. But its not just the foreign media, its the export of the Brazilian media as well. Brazilian media doesnt report on Forteleza, Bahia, Brasilia's architecture, Sao Paulo lifestyle, Flori lifestyle, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 05:05 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Because Brazil sells this stereotype. Making Rio de Janeiro slums the official image in Brazil in the world. For this reason many people think that: in Brazil 90% are black and mulatto like in Africa, everyone in Brazil lives in slums, the entire Brazil is corrupt, poor and ugly like Rio de Janeiro. For this many people think that Brazil is summarized in half naked mulattas, slums,carnival, women in bikini who shows the butt, and poverty.
The idea of Brazil for many people is Rio de Janeiro. Brazil only making movies about slums. City of god . Brazil shows the worst places of our country. Negative propaganda. The majority of American celebrities who travel for Brazil. Brazil invite them for see Rio de Janeiro slums
Sushi-Samba has a very typical complex of Brazilians who are obsessed with how foreigners view Brazil and want the whole world to know that they are white.

"Why do Gringos go to the favelas? They are poor, ugly and black".

Old 06-12-2021, 06:29 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
The 1959 movie "Orfeu Negro", a French film, is arguably the most internationally famous movie set in Brazil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtUEpopu6A

This movie and its soundtrack has come to represent Brazilian culture. And back then Brazilians were whining saying the same bull****. International people loved it, but Brazilians complained that there were too many black people in it. "Why do they only show the blacks?!"

Here were are 60 years later, and a younger generation of Brazilians hasn't changed. They want all media to show them as white, and hide black people.

Last edited by Tritone; 06-12-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 AM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The 1959 movie "Orfeu Negro", a French film, is arguably the most internationally famous movie set in Brazil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtUEpopu6A

This movie and its soundtrack has come to represent Brazilian culture. And back then Brazilians were whining saying the same bull****. International people loved it, but Brazilians complained that there were too many black people in it. "Why do they only show the blacks?!"

Here were are 60 years later, and a younger generation of Brazilians hasn't changed. They want all media to show them as white, and hide black people.
There is a schism between the rest of what you say and the bolded final sentence. Granted, a movie with a title like that, maybe it's expected to see so many blacks. It brings up the question:

Does that film portrays Brazil the way it is? If not, why did it become representative of Brazil on the international stage?

Looking at DNA testing results and studies that has been done of Brazilians, it becomes obvious that Brazil can't be similar to say Barbados, to give one comparison. By looking at that video of a movie created by the French, I pick Barbados as an example because it would appear that's the genetic result that most likely would be observed in the movie.

Brazil. Notice nowhere is majority green, not even the Northeast which is the blackest region of the country.

https://www.scielo.br/j/gmb/a/fk6kLT...cZBC/?lang=en#

Barbados in the upper right.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncom...df?origin=ppub

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-13-2021 at 07:26 AM..

Old 06-13-2021, 07:13 AM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Another interesting information.

Quote:
According to the 2010 census, 6 percent of Brazil’s total population lived in favelas.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/favela

I have never seen that 6% of anything is representative of a nation. It could be representative of a region or a city depending on the country, but no way the country.

Here is a map of the population density and distribution in Brazil.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Bra...ement-patterns

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-13-2021 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenalee View Post
Brazilian media suffer from cariocacentrism. Cariocacentrism is a vision of Brazil that tends to place Rio de Janeiro culture and Rio de Janeiro slums as the fundamental element in the constitution of Brazil , necessarily being the protagonist of Brazil history. The media sells Brazil image according the cariocacentrism. Cariocacentrism born with Brazilian former president and tyrant Getúlio Vargas.

Carioca = A person who was born in or who lives in Rio de Janeiro, a city in Brazil

Eu sei, I live in Rio and the media is not obseessed with Cariocas....they may love their culture but to say they are cariocacentrist is false. Again, that has been proven by much of the back and forth here as I described before....lol.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
the 1959 movie "orfeu negro", a french film, is arguably the most internationally famous movie set in brazil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktuepopu6a

this movie and its soundtrack has come to represent brazilian culture. And back then brazilians were whining saying the same bull****. International people loved it, but brazilians complained that there were too many black people in it. "why do they only show the blacks?!"

here were are 60 years later, and a younger generation of brazilians hasn't changed. They want all media to show them as white, and hide black people.
#preach

Old 06-14-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There is a schism between the rest of what you say and the bolded final sentence. Granted, a movie with a title like that, maybe it's expected to see so many blacks. It brings up the question:

Does that film portrays Brazil the way it is? If not, why did it become representative of Brazil on the international stage?

Looking at DNA testing results and studies that has been done of Brazilians, it becomes obvious that Brazil can't be similar to say Barbados, to give one comparison. By looking at that video of a movie created by the French, I pick Barbados as an example because it would appear that's the genetic result that most likely would be observed in the movie.

Brazil. Notice nowhere is majority green, not even the Northeast which is the blackest region of the country.

Barbados in the upper right.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncom...df?origin=ppub
This particular issue cant really be unpacked like that. Its more elementary yet some whom may be from Brazil and commenting her are tap dancing around the issue, which I dont do.

To answer the bolded question: Yes; and No. It portrays the culture that the movie projects in its most authentic lens. Some seem to overlook over the fact that Samba is an Afro Brasileiro thing. Just as Capoeira is. All the best and famous Samba schools for the most part in close to or in the favelas. The passistas everyone fantasizes over are mainly faveladas. So yes, one would EXPECT the representation of Samba to be overwhelmingly black or "mixtura". Theres some whitewashing thats done of course.....

But I dont think the movies like that and Cidade de Deus, etc are made to represent Rio as the example of all Brazilian life as its a large country and the sub cultures vary as well as the phoenotypes of its inhabitants. There are some who would try and claim some sort of "reverse bias" but its all fodder. The media here is still enamored by the euro centric and colonial Brasilian standards of beauty (white & light Moreno). Even Globo, the media empire here in Brazil is part of the driver....the select a Passista yearly as their globaleza, the muse of carnaval. A few years back a beautiful very black girl named Nayara Justino was selected. Globo was pressured by the Brazilian people and powers that be to drop her and add a lighter skin muse.

Question is with how Globo, Rede, etc project Brazil to its own population and the world, why are people mad when foreign media report on those that it marginalizes?

Old 06-26-2021, 01:40 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Man this thing grows more and more legs....Youtube videos are not the concrete basis for the supposed facts that the world is fascinated with Communidades here in Rio.....or Brazil as a whole. I mean how many times can it be said? Yes, there are some people, not the majority but some, who are fascinated by Favelas. They exude culture...and a whole lotta violence which can be debated in a seperate thread. But the context some of the complainers on here seem to alwyas leave out is that the international media that does tend to report of life in the favelas only do so because they are marginalized and most people would not here of the good nor bad within them if it were up to the Brazilian media. No one can control what some thirsty tourist decides to post on his social media and youtube channels. But the media is controlling how they report conditions within the favelas and how everyday life is for the affected favelados. All the while Ive been living here and I still find it funny how some would for instance love to laud their Samba no Pe and its Passistas...their dance and their beauty. But dont want anyone knowing the conditions they either currently live in or grew up in. Most of those dancing beatuies are faveladas. The favelas have a story to tell; they are part of the fabric of Brazil. Not all residents of communidades are dope dealers or drug addicts or criminals. They are the working class as well. Their Brazilian stories and realities need to be heard as well. The media here in Brazil tends to not report on them unless its bad news....so why get mad when outside media outlets get wind of the full context of those places and report on it? Its not obsession at all in my eyes.....
Correct. Brazilian culture originates in its favelas. All the whiners have yet to tell me why I should be interested in aspects of Brazilian culture that doesnt come from its favelas, or its poor rural areas.

I have Netflix and I skip through Brazilian films. FACT. The most interesting ones are those based in......Rio favelas, because this is the source of the most dynamic aspects of Brazilian culture. Sao Paulo is a cultural desert. Sure of interest if I were doing business in Brazil. When compared to Rio and Salvador and even Minas Gerais with its heritage sites what does Sao Paulo offer tourists?

Old 06-26-2021, 01:47 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Sushi-Samba has a very typical complex of Brazilians who are obsessed with how foreigners view Brazil and want the whole world to know that they are white.

"Why do Gringos go to the favelas? They are poor, ugly and black".
Yes true about this obsession with "whiteness". I had a Brazilian friend, viewed as "white" in Brazil and "Latino" in the USA. One night he had an incident with the family of his girlfriend and spent 30 minutes sobbing on my phone because Americans see him the same way that they see Puerto Ricans. We were in Business school at the time (a top Ivy one) and he wanted to drop out. I had to ask him if "losing his whiteness" was so bad. Brazil is so bad that even a mutual Dominican friend of ours had to wonder about his issues, and yes we do hear about the DR and that "whiteness" thing.

For a nation that claims to be a "Race Paradise" they sure seem obsessed with skin color and its social impacts.

Brazil has a very vibrant Afro Lusophone culture among its myriads of other cultural influences. Its dynamic, fascinating and even Brazilians sell it to the rest of the world.

I bet you its the scion of those Italian, Germans and other late 19th/20th century immigrants who cry about this. NOT those of Portuguese descent. These people are just NOT the essence of Brazil, outside of the corporate role, so lack respect for its culture. They wish Brazil was portrayed as if it was Germany or Italy and suffer mental breakdowns when it isnt. So they voted for that idiot Bolsonaro who now has Brazil in a death spiral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas