Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 10:25 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times

Advertisements

Its pronounced like Po pe yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 11:32 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
People read the word in Spanish.

McDonald's = May-doe-nah or Mc-doe-nas
IKEA = Eeeh-ke-ah
Every razor = Gee-lae (whether it's a Gillette or not)
PriceMart = Prah-eeh-marrr
Ford = Fore

There are first names that in reality are in English but they read it in Spanish. I once met a guy who's name was Michael but I didn't see the name written until a few weeks later. Until then I thought he had a unique name since everyone would call him Mee-cha-elle. Then I see it in writing and had my revelation. lol

New York = Nuh-eh-bae-yoo-rrrr
United States = Unae-eh-tayyy
Miami = Meee-ah-mee or mah-yah-mee

The funny part is when you say something the way it is because its in English and they want to correct you with their "correct" way, because you aren't saying it right.

Some words are now more often said in English rather than Spanish. For example, Canada is written in Spanish as Canadá with the emphasis in the third A vs in English it's in the first A. Many Dominicans now say Cánada. Even lawyers in professional settings say it like that. SMH

Old 10-25-2023, 04:01 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
A week after the grand opening…

https://youtu.be/4InS5uJVoLE?si=Zlj39x2PyFLeKmM5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas