Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 09:41 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Today open the first Popeyes in Santo Domingo, DR. This wouldn't be much news except look at the line. All of that for fried chicken. lol

I can only imagine how many delivery orders they got on their first day.

https://youtube.com/shorts/p9mja_FWf...1xlJiLL3E_C1Z3

By the way, I'm not sure if that Hennessy was bought in the Popeyes, though many fast food places in the DR do sell alcohol (even in American fast food places) unlike in the USA. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it was bought there as part of the meal. lol

This video in instagram show the line of cars waiting to go through drive-thru. I goes around the block.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyZgF...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 06:21 PM

This is in Spanish, but if this couple's opinion about Popeyes in general, soon KFC DR could be facing some problems. lol

1. He says the Popeye chicken sandwich he tried is the best tasting he has ever eaten. Same with the fries.

2. She thinks Popeye's chicken is more natural (the main reason is in #3) and Popeyes french fries are now her favorite.

3. What surprised them was that the chicken was not dripping with cooking oil, unlike in all the other competition. Not even in a busy day.

If Popeyes sucess will depend on taste and this is a sign, their success in the DR could be guaranteed.

In the end she says Popeyes chicken looks like real chicken, not like fake chicken. She also reprimanded her boyfriend/husband for mentioning KFC. She says "it's true is better" when he says Popeyes chicken taste better and then "you don't have to mention other brands." lol

https://youtu.be/K9H6aWdigpE?si=mAcqQtQA2l_fkt99

Old 10-17-2023, 02:36 AM

536 posts, read 610,808 times
That's too bad, what a pity.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:40 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
I know they have had it in Toronto for a long time now, but we just got Popeyes a few years ago in the city I live in here in Canada. I have to admit popeyes chicken sandwiches are pretty good. We have had a bit of a boom in chicken places here. Popeyes being the biggest international chain to open up recently along with Jollibee, which is a Filipino chain. I read Chick-Fil-A is supposed to open up here soon. Not sure if it already exists elsewhere in Canada.

Just out of curiosity how popular is fried chicken in the DR? Are there any local chicken chains?

Old 10-21-2023, 07:21 AM

Very popular. There are several local chains (Victorina and Rey are two that comes to mind, they follow more the system of US fast food system, with Victorina being the largest of the two.) Then there is the plethora of "pica pollo" which are also fast food places but they don't follow the US fast food system. Despite many pica pollos are owned by other types of people, Dominicans associate them with the Chinese.

Here you can see what Victorina is like. This is a review done in Englidh by a tourist that went to the restaurant they have in Bávaro.

https://youtu.be/in8q7mNbV_c?si=3NA3gImwlZk9MmT8

Old 10-21-2023, 04:34 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
Looks like a generous portion of food on the plate. Nice they offer beer.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:08 AM

Most fast foods in the DR sell acohol (especially beer), even several American chains that in the USA you never see alcohol in their menu.

Large portions tend to be common as well (not in Americsn chains.) Most food is very cheap. In many places you can buy a plate full of food that due to their portion sizes you swear it must be for more than one person plus drink for less than US$5. This is due to the country being self-sufficient in many foodstuff, so if the ingredients are all or mostly of local production it will be very cheap. In the Caribbean, the situation of general food in the DR is very rare as in most places food is on the expensive side. That same meal in the USA at a minimum would be above US$10, even near or above US$20 in many places.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-22-2023 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-22-2023, 09:24 AM

837 posts, read 853,049 times
Hopefully Popeyes can open up a chain in the North Coast (Puerto Plata, Sosua, etc.). One store in the North Coast can change the trajectory of the KFC monopoly here.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Hopefully Popeyes can open up a chain in the North Coast (Puerto Plata, Sosua, etc.). One store in the North Coast can change the trajectory of the KFC monopoly here.
Puerto Plata is the most likely place, probably somewhere on Manolo Tavárez Avenue. I expect Santiago to get one first simply due to size.

If I had the franchise rights to expand Popeyes in the DR, a new Popeyes would open as close as possible to every KFC in the country. lol Open a map of the country with every KFC followed by a rubbing of hands. lol

Old 10-23-2023, 10:00 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
I’m not a huge fan of the Americanization of Latin American (or any other countries) but Popeyes is damn good food! Make sure to try the red beans and rice for me bros! They are amazing. I go to Popeyes every Tuesday and get the same order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas