Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times

Advertisements

I've never had one single problem with WalMart taking a return or offering a refund on any item I purchased there that broke. I do keep my receipts so that does help. I have had other mom and pop stores refuse to take returns though telling me instead I should send the items in for "warranty" repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM

191 posts, read 360,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't shop at Wal*Mart; there is nothing there that I need. I did go into one in Anchorage several years ago because the person I was with wanted to buy stuff there. I did need some underwear, and I went to take a look in the underwear section and there was a rather unsavory looking gentleman hanging around that section and making some strange remarks about ladies' underclothing so I left. My friend took forever to buy whatever crap she was buying so I returned to the underwear section in about a half hour and the guy was still there.
Sorry about that Met. I really was checking for prices, not sniffing.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I've never had one single problem with WalMart taking a return or offering a refund on any item I purchased there that broke. I do keep my receipts so that does help. I have had other mom and pop stores refuse to take returns though telling me instead I should send the items in for "warranty" repair.
The last item that I bought and ended up replacing because it broke was a Craftsman socket-wrench that I bought from Sears in the 1990s. No receipt was required, and it did not cost me a penny.

As a rule, I do not buy from cheap, crappy, stores where I end up returning their product for one reason or another. If you are looking for quality, you will certainly not find it at WalMart or Target stores.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
All of my tools are Craftsman or SnapOn. But without WalMarts low prices I'd be hard pressed to afford new underwear every year. Sometimes you just need a break.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
I buy the same brands there that are sold in more expensive stores, I've really never had a problem with anything except for a videotape that I bought 10 years ago, that had a missing ending. It was a thriller, without an end. I was not happy about that but it wasn't Walmart's fault.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I do not shop at Walmart, or Target, or any other store that specializes in selling sub-standard crap to ignorant Americans. It doesn't matter if it is made in China or the US, junk is still junk. You get what you pay for, and in WalMart's case, that isn't much.

You have such a way with words! Can we be friends?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 PM

261 posts, read 506,154 times
While Wal-Mart does indeed sell it's fair share of junk, any objective poster would have to admit they sell much of the same items others stores do but for less money. We all know that's true, don't we? It's just a physical fact. Let me ask all the wal-mart detractors out there-- do you think a Wal Mart super store in Anchorage would lower the cost of groceries in this town or raise prices? Be honest before you answer.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
It has already lowered prices, I noticed it right away after the other one opened on Dimond. All of a sudden, Safeway had lower prices with signs that said "New low price".

Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
While Wal-Mart does indeed sell it's fair share of junk, any objective poster would have to admit they sell much of the same items others stores do but for less money. We all know that's true, don't we? It's just a physical fact. Let me ask all the wal-mart detractors out there-- do you think a Wal Mart super store in Anchorage would lower the cost of groceries in this town or raise prices? Be honest before you answer.
Other than shopping at Costco, I do not buy my groceries in Anchorage. So I cannot say, one way or the other, how the Walmart in Anchorage has effected grocery store prices in Anchorage. I do know, however, that Walmart in Anchorage has had absolutely no effect on the prices at Costco. Nor has the Walmart in Wasilla effected the prices of Fred Myers or Carrs/Safeway in Wasilla.

As to the items that Walmart sells that other stores also sell, that really is not much of an argument. Just because Freddies or Safeway also sell inferior products is not a justification for Walmart to follow their example. Nor does the fact that other stores selling the same product as WalMart mean the product is not crap.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:33 PM

261 posts, read 506,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Other than shopping at Costco, I do not buy my groceries in Anchorage. So I cannot say, one way or the other, how the Walmart in Anchorage has effected grocery store prices in Anchorage. I do know, however, that Walmart in Anchorage has had absolutely no effect on the prices at Costco. Nor has the Walmart in Wasilla effected the prices of Fred Myers or Carrs/Safeway in Wasilla.

As to the items that Walmart sells that other stores also sell, that really is not much of an argument. Just because Freddies or Safeway also sell inferior products is not a justification for Walmart to follow their example. Nor does the fact that other stores selling the same product as WalMart mean the product is not crap.

Well, I suppose it's a win/win for all of us then.

Those who want cheap prices at Wal-Mart will go there, those who prefer products from other outlets won't.

Everybody wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage