Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times

Advertisements

If Freddies sells a light bulb for $6.00 and WalMart sells the identical one for $3.00 it doesn't take much of a rocket scientist to figure out who is offering the better deal. Why throw money away? That makes no logical sense. But this is America, everyone is free to shop where they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 PM

261 posts, read 506,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If Freddies sells a light bulb for $6.00 and WalMart sells the identical one for $3.00 it doesn't take much of a rocket scientist to figure out who is offering the better deal. Why throw money away? That makes no logical sense. But this is America, everyone is free to shop where they want.

It's actually good that people do support the more expensive stores because these stores provide competition for Wal-Mart. The reason Wal-Mart prices things like they do is to stay ahead.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
There are plenty of "name brands" that Freddies and many other stores sell that WalMart doesn't. I probably spend as many shopping dollars at Freddies as I do at WalMart. I think there is enough diversity in product offerings and selections to keep them all in business.....

Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
I shop at all of them too, if I want a selection. Much prefer Fred's clothes and shoes. I just like to eat inexpensively, although I buy food at Fred Meyers too. I haven't shopped so much at Safeway lately, in Anchorage I worked one block from the Sears Mall so it was super convenient and the parking lot wasn't as hairy as the one at Fred Meyers.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And Costco sells the same lightbulb for $2. You just have to buy a dozen light bulbs at a time. Additionally, when you buy cheap garbage, it does not last nearly as long. So you need to buy it again, and again, and again. So I suppose you need to ask yourself, why throw money away by buying junk?

Shopping at Walmart, or Target, or K-Mart, or any of those other cheap stores makes absolutely no fiscal sense to me.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM

I can't think of a single thing that I have had to repurchase over and over. Can you give examples?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
childrens' toys, cheap laptops, cheap socks, cheap flannel sheets, cheap plastic cups/drinking glasses, cheap silverware, cheap cutlery,...... just examples of things that when bought cheaply wear out 10x faster then the well made/built items. So you do have to buy new, ie: replace them more frequently.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Other than shopping at Costco, I do not buy my groceries in Anchorage. So I cannot say, one way or the other, how the Walmart in Anchorage has effected grocery store prices in Anchorage. I do know, however, that Walmart in Anchorage has had absolutely no effect on the prices at Costco. Nor has the Walmart in Wasilla effected the prices of Fred Myers or Carrs/Safeway in Wasilla.

As to the items that Walmart sells that other stores also sell, that really is not much of an argument. Just because Freddies or Safeway also sell inferior products is not a justification for Walmart to follow their example. Nor does the fact that other stores selling the same product as WalMart mean the product is not crap.
Yes, same here. I shop on base and at costco. Only on occasion do i shop 'in town" so I have no idea if their prices are comparable or less expensive now. They are still crazy expensive when compared to the base or costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Well, I suppose it's a win/win for all of us then.

Those who want cheap prices at Wal-Mart will go there, those who prefer products from other outlets won't.

Everybody wins.
yes, exactly.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
childrens' toys, cheap laptops, cheap socks, cheap flannel sheets, cheap plastic cups/drinking glasses, cheap silverware, cheap cutlery,...... just examples of things that when bought cheaply wear out 10x faster then the well made/built items. So you do have to buy new, ie: replace them more frequently.
I completely agree. I was just thinking about socks this morning. There are two kinds that I get--smartwool socks

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

for work et al and plain black cashmere socks for everyday. The only time I buy new socks is when I want more socks, not because the ones that I have are worn out.

Cheap flannel sheets and awful towels are horrific things to have around the house. When I was younger and didn't know about Egyptian coton, I just thought it made sense to get the cheapest stuff, but it really doesn't.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM

I've never had nice sheets, any recommendations? I don't mind the cheap dishware/silverware because most likely my kids (or the cats) would manage to mess up good stuff. I don't buy cheap cookware though. That really is a disposable product, but it's good that there are affordable things for those who are really hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage